I'm gonna be buying some new gear soon and I want to be able to record anything from metal to electronic music with a midi controller which I also plan on buying soon. I plan on using the shure sm57 to mic my guitar amp and an m-audio oxygen 88 key midi controller. Also, I use a Windows 7 PC.

I want to make solo recordings and I don't need to be able to record 5 billion things at once I just want good sound although being able to record at least 2 things at once might be nice.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at Aug 19, 2011,
I've been looking into this myself, and I've narrowed it down to these few:

Presonus Audiobox USB
M-Audio Mobile Pre USB
Line 6 UX2

The Presonus and M-Audio are about the same price, and the Line 6 a bit more expensive. Has anyone had any experience with these? Also I've heard that the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 is meant to be really good, but it's considerably more expensive for more or less the same features. Worth the extra money?

(these are all USB interfaces BTW, but I think there's a Firewire equivalent for the Presonus and Focusrite)
Ok so I'm kinda a noob when it comes to interfaces and recording, but from my experience I would recommend the Peavey Pv6 audio interface/mixer. Gets great quality when recording bass direct, drums, guitars and vocals micd. My friend bought one of these a couple weeks back and wow! I didn't expect it to be half as good as it was when we started recording our EP. It's got 4 inputs and eq, volume and gain controls for each. All in all great interface, sounds great through audacity.
i have the audiobox and its fantastic! if your computer can take firewire id recommend that but the audiobox is a great unit. the input has a reputation for being too hot for electric guitar but i use high output dimarzios and iv never had any clipping issues.the preamps sound great and its built like a tank
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
What is your budget?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Have you considered getting a dedicated multitracker instead of setting up interfaces etc to run it all through a PC? Tascam and Fostex both do a good range, and Zoom's R16 & R24 are both designed to work as standalone recorders OR a PC interface.

Lots of people on this site refuse to admit it, but multitrackers provide a lot of advantages for home use which PCs don't - obviously PCs have other advantages, it depends what you're looking for.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Aside from portability, what advantages are you talking about?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
A lot of the advantages are purely practical ones: Obviously the portability as you said, and for home use they're a good way to get started - you know you've got everything you need in a single unit and you aren't relying on using a PC which other people in the household will also want access to (this is even more of an issue if you have a desktop PC in a 'public' space like the living room, not so much if it's a laptop).

You also have the knowledge that you're buying something purpose built for the job. If you're just going to be adding recording software to a PC that you already have, you may find that the processing power & soundcards aren't up to it - obviously this isn't an issue if you're buying a PC specifically for it, but then you'd be buying a much more expensive PC than most people would already have for everyday use.

Also PCs usually only have an expected lifespan of a couple of years before they need upgrading or have slowed down significantly due to the amount of updates they download to themselves, I had my last multitracker almost 10 years and it was still performing as well as the day I bought it.

I've had the software vs multitrackers discussion a few times recently, if you have a look back through the recording forum you'll probably find them. It seems that a majority of people on this site believe in software and just assume multitrackers are outdated and crap - that isn't true, they've been developed just as much over the years as software has. Why else would companies like Tascam, Fostex, Roland/Boss, Korg, Yamaha, Zoom etc still make them and still keep developing new models with extra functionality?

The only real disadvantage of multitrackers is the potentially limited tracks - there are ways of working around it, but at the end of the day you are working around something. With software you are unlimited in this area so long as your PC's processor can handle it, which goes back to the point I already made about a purpose built PC vs a standard home PC with added software.

In the recent discussions, all sorts of things were suggested about what software can do that multitrackers can't, but all of them were suggested because those people obviously weren't aware of what multitrackers are designed to do these days. All of the functions which people assumed were "PC only" are included on most modern multitrackers. They have more than enough capabilities to produce good quality recordings with no other kit needed.

For home use, a decent multitracker can do just as much for the average Joe as software recording can. If you're hoping to set up a full-on professional studio it's a very different argument, but most people on UG aren't doing that.

I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, just that software isn't the only viable & up to date option.

Now we just need DG to enter the discussion again
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 23, 2011,
id recommend a pro tools interface like the mbox or fast track,they have an entry level one for about £50 english.graet if you just want to lay down guitars and that seperate
MyoWnMe
I'm pretty content with my Tascam us1641. Has a lot of inputs and built tough. Interface runs $499 from most places online. And there is a few package deals with them, which are worth it just for the mics and stands that come with it.

Not a big fan of Presonus I've had nothing but problems from them, and their customer service is a freaking joke.
Quote by disah69
id recommend a pro tools interface like the mbox or fast track,they have an entry level one for about £50 english.graet if you just want to lay down guitars and that seperate

Also great if you want to be confused as shit for 6 months till you learn how to use the base version of Pro Tools without it crashing every 5 minutes. Nowadays, its PT 9, PT 9|HD or nothing.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I love my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I love my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.

I just got one.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
I just got one.

Crazy low latency (1-2ms ASIO using the focusrite drivers). Pretty ****in' awesome
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
since you dint specify any budget limits, il just say i got the SAPPHIRE PRO 40 and its GREAT stuff. top notch converters, great pre-amps 20 in 20 out.

Pretty awesome machine. goes for around 600$
Quote by oneblackened
Crazy low latency (1-2ms ASIO using the focusrite drivers). Pretty ****in' awesome

yeah, I haven't touched the ASIO settings yet and I get 0 latency. It's a beautiful thing to actually be able to just plug and play.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.