I've not had an electric guitar for waaaay to long and I've decided it's time to sort myself out and pick up some new gear and get back on it.

I've been doing a bit of research and I think I'm looking for a modeling amp. I'm gonna be mainly playing Metal (Metallica, Slayer, Maiden, Killswitch) and Punk (Rise Against, Pennywise, NOFX) but I also want to be able to mess around with as many different sounds, styles and effects as possible to get me back into guitar playing.

I've decided on a budget of about £300 for an amp and for the time being I'm only gonna be playing at home but I'd like to be able to jam with mates if and when. I'm looking at buying new. I've been thinking about the three amps in the title of this thread.

Fender Mustang III
Line 6 Spider IV
Peavy Vypyr 75

Does any one have and experience with these amps or have any further insight as to which would be most suited to me. Or are there any other options out there I've missed.

Cheers guys

(I should probably add I've not decided on a guitar yet but I've been thinking of something along the lines of Epiphone Les Paul Standard/Prophecy, ESP LTD EC 256/401, Ibanez ART series or a Schecter)
Last edited by Norm81 at Aug 19, 2011,
They're all solid amps so in that respect you can't go wrong. I've not tried the Mustang myself so I can't really comment on that one. The Spider IV is a big improvement on the Spider III and is actually quite a decent amp now but in my opinion the Vypyr is still better. The thing I like about the Vypyr, other than some very good amp models and effects, is that the way you set it up in terms of where you position everything, is very much like a real valve amp. It's a very positive experience to use it I found. The other one I'd be looking at as a close runner to the Vypyr is the Roland Cube, which really is an astonishingly good modelling amp. If I were you, I'd be choosing between the Vypyr and the Cube.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-cube-80xl-guitar-amplifier-combo/41350
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
only the higher wattage spiders start to sound decent. but the roland cubes sound killer as well and has some amazing presets. that being said, if u want the modeling versatility, vypyr
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Thanks so far guys

Another question I've just thought of is how well to higher wattage amps perform at low volumes? I'm definately wanting an amp that'll cope with playing with a band but certainly for the first 6 month to year I'll only be playing in my bedroom in a shared house.

A bit of noise is fine but I don't want the walls to fall down everytime I plug it in.
Solid state amps like these will be fine at very low volumes and probably sound better than a valve amp at such levels. Conversely, valve amps tend to sound better as they get louder whereas solid state amps tend to get worse. It is for this reason that if you're using solid state, you tend to use a more powerful amp as they don't like being at their limit whereas a valve amp loves it. You should be fine with what you're looking at. The 75w Vypyr or 80w Cube are perfect for what you're after.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Again, thanks for the suggestions!

I'm pretty certain the Vypyr will be the amp I'll end up getting. I'm looking forward to trying it asap!

Another question. Would an Epiphone Les Paul standard be up to giving that really heavy Killwswich/Machine Heady style sounds or would something built for metal be a better option? I like the price of the Epiphone LPs but it's playing metal riffs that really excite me and I suppose thats the main sort of sound I'd be looking for.
Vypyr.

It best suits your styles. I don't like the Spider (not many people on here do, it would seem) and the Mustang III has a horrible buzzing/fizzing when the Gain is turned up. Shame really, it's a really nice sounding amp.
RIP Adam
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
Vypyr.

It best suits your styles. I don't like the Spider (not many people on here do, it would seem) and the Mustang III has a horrible buzzing/fizzing when the Gain is turned up. Shame really, it's a really nice sounding amp.

That pretty much rules the Mustang out then. I've had a quick go on my Cousins Mustang with his ESP LTD Explorer but I've gotta admit I was a little drunk at the time It was that that really whetted my appetite to pick up some new gear. I'd forgotten how much fun electric guitar is!
The roland cube is a great modeling amp too. I have the 15x and ive been using it for 4 years and it still works great.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
The roland cube is a great modeling amp too. I have the 15x and ive been using it for 4 years and it still works great.

not to mention i have never seen better bass response in a practice amp before the roland cube
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED