Hello all I found a used Squier Jazz bass that was Made In Mexico. Now I'm wondering what there story is ? I read a few things about them but could not find a straight answer. Also I was wondering if they are about the quality of Fender MIM ?
I know Squiers have been made in China, Korea, Indonesia, India, Mexico and the US.

I would say these are pretty decent quality, better then the Chinese ones.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Is it a MiM SQUIRE... or does the headstock say FENDER (Squier Series)?
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by JustPhil
Squier is the right spelling.

Yep... my damn computer at work auto-corrects 'Squier' to 'Squire' all. the. time. >

Haha, i wasn't talking about the spelling anyways;

There were MiM Squiers that still said Fender on the headstock, with 'Squier series' next to it. These were made in the 90's and are awesome. The electronics and hardware were all Affinity/Standard Squier stuff... but the body and neck were US Fender quality.

However, if it says Squier on the headstock and is just made in Mexico, i'd put it about on par with any other Squier instrument... though in GENERAL probably above Chinese or Indonesian quality, but less than Japanese Squiers.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
IIRC MIM Squiers had bodies and necks equivalent to what you'd find on an MIM Fender, but had cheaper hardware and electronics.

Overall quality-wise, Squiers go something like this:
Japanese > Korean > Mexican > (Chinese, Indonesian, Indian)
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos

Overall quality-wise, Squiers go something like this:
Japanese > Korean > Mexican > (Chinese, Indonesian, Indian)

+1 to this, totally.

Japanese Squires (and Fenders, for that matter) are things of beauty!
Japanese Squires are on par with American fenders in my opinion. I like the necks on the Jap Fenders better but that's a personal thing.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
Japanese Squires are on par with American fenders in my opinion. I like the necks on the Jap Fenders better but that's a personal thing.

Easily - one of the top gigging session musicians in the UK uses a pair of Japanese Squiers (a P and a J) for a lot of advert work.
The sales person sent me an email telling me that this bass is made with the same parts that the Fender MIM basses are made out of.
Quote by Din of Win
There were MiM Squiers that still said Fender on the headstock, with 'Squier series' next to it.

Actually Fender did release a Squier series, they are NOT actual Squiers however.

These were made by Fender as a step down from the MIM Fenders. The Fender Squier series replaced the lead series of Fenders lower priced, budget guitars in the early 80's.

So the guitar in question, providing it says "Squier series", is actually a Fender, just a budget Fender.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 19, 2011,
Well I found a Fender "Squier series" on the same website for less money then the Squier MIM. So I think I will go with the Fender "Squier series" since it has an American neck and body.