i'm kinda looking into one, just for fun. i have a 6505 and a Vader cab currently, so that's a bit loud for here.

i'm play mostly metal, so am looking for one with a bit of gain. i have considered the kustom defender, epi valve jr, and the blackheart heads.] i know with a single preamp tube its kinda hard to get much out of it. i have a maxon od9 though, so i could drive the preamp pretty well.

imaybe ill just stick with the microcube when i can't let the vader shake the house down
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
What sort of wattage are we speaking? Anything around 20w I'd say the Silverblade Hellhound or the Krankenstein Jr would be your best bet. PM Fred The Shred on here, I believe he has the Hellhound, he can tell you a bit more.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

None of those amps (nor any low wattage amps AFAIK) are going to get anywhere near the amount of gain the 6505 has. I'd look into a modeler like the Peavey Vypyr, as they sound really good at very low volumes.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yes, I believe AcousticMirror is now making amps. PM him for details

Really?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
None of those amps (nor any low wattage amps AFAIK) are going to get anywhere near the amount of gain the 6505 has. I'd look into a modeler like the Peavey Vypyr, as they sound really good at very low volumes.

Really?

I played a couple of Jaden Roses through the Silverblade at MonkeyFest and the amount of gain was unbelievable.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by TehFluffy

i'm play mostly metal, so am looking for one with a bit of gain. i have considered the kustom defender, epi valve jr, and the blackheart heads.] i know with a single preamp tube its kinda hard to get much out of it. i have a maxon od9 though, so i could drive the preamp pretty well.

You will not get a good metal sound out of any of these, no matter how much you boost them. In fact, I found the distortion from my cranked/boosted BH5 and VJ to be, well, dreadful. A Blackheart Handsome Devil might be the exception (don't really know, haven't tried it, but clips suggest that while it's not a gain-monster, it gets more preamp-drive than other Blackhearts or the Epi and Kustom), but at 15w, it isn't really "mini" anymore.

If you want a good high-gain tone out of any of these, you'd be better off running a distortion pedal in front of them. Low-wattage amps that have a good bit of preamp-gain available are few and far between, and as long as we are talking about stuff under 10w that is mass-produced and easily available (and relatively cheap), only the Blackstar HT5 comes to mind... and I'd rather take my chances with a Blackheart/Kustom/Epi and a good distortion pedal (simply because the HT5 is a bit pricey imo).
AcousticMirror is indeed making amps, mine's being built right now, but its not cheap. He does seem to like gain monsters though so he could definitely build one to sound like you want
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
VHT special 6 ultra
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by lbj273
AcousticMirror is indeed making amps, mine's being built right now, but its not cheap. He does seem to like gain monsters though so he could definitely build one to sound like you want

slo?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Really.

Sweet.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by lbj273

meh, chinese junk. bet the caps suck.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
look, i love hating on AM, but seriously: you don't want a chinese made amp...

getting something made in chicago from the 50's with pentode preamp tubes.

now what is this thread about? oh, min's amps. don't buy em.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
look, i love hating on AM, but seriously: you don't want a chinese made amp...

getting something made in chicago from the 50's with pentode preamp tubes.

now what is this thread about? oh, min's amps. don't buy em.

But they are made in 'Merica so there goes that theory :P

I think Zoot Allures has an opinion about AM's stuff, ask his advice
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lbj273
But they are made in 'Merica so there goes that theory :P

I think Zoot Allures has an opinion about AM's stuff, ask his advice

made in 'merica when he ain't visiting his parents. yeah, ask Min's sometimes lover/ultimate fanboi. the sexual tension between those 2 is palpable.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
made in 'merica when he ain't visiting his parents. yeah, ask Min's sometimes lover/ultimate fanboi. the sexual tension between those 2 is palpable.

Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

i've played the blackstar ht5 and ht1 through a 4x12, both sounded great - surprised by the ht1 - max cranked at very quiet volumes - run a OD pedal infront would get a great tone
Quote by gumbilicious

made in china amps are for domestic market use only.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
All min does is make amps. He never stops.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by AcousticMirror
made in china amps are for domestic market use only.

oh crap, he showed up.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
oh crap, he showed up.

You guys said his name like 3 times. That's the only way to call him.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
You guys said his name like 3 times. That's the only way to call him.

And now we have to sacrifice our high gain amps to the Chinese gods, or Min will take vengeance on us..
what both you say is true, we should have never taunted Min in our arrogance.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
what both you say is true, we should have never taunted Min in our arrogance.

May the amp gods help us now..
this is probably the funniest thread jacking i've seen in along time. well done guys
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Why not look at an attenuator? Not to mention, with all the preamp gain in your 6505, it's not like you need to crank it to get a metal tone :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs