ok guys, so again im facing this question, how should i go about saving up money?
first off i am a teacher but currently i have 2 students (this country is really small and not everybody wants to learn guitar) and im earning about 10 bux for an hour.
im considered one of the good teachers here in Armenia, i also do guitar repairs and pedal repairs. Now my beloved left for America and she was the only person in my everyday life, i dont have anybody else, no friends no hang outs nothing at all. And me an dher are planning to join our lives into one in the future so this is the most serious thing ever to me somewhat. I want to save up about 1000 bux for tickets to go visit her this winter for a week or so.

The question:
for those of you teachers [and not only], how do you go about finding new students?
for those of you who do other stuff in music like repairing or stuff, how do you go about finding new deals?

how bout other stuff like music transcribing or stuff, i've been doing it for years already but i am having hard times finding customers now

what about anything else? do you know of a place where they pay for reviews/surveys/lessons on music (and not only)? or something similar? that's not a scam

pretty much any ideas on how to earn money would be cool, i can't really go get a job here cause it's super tough now here, the country is facing a threat of losing it's existence. so please no bitching on 'Go get a job', i ask you for advice on how to find new students and all that.

I also figured if I can get 4 more students i'll be able to get the needed money by the winter.
You gotta advertise man, only way. I don't see you getting $1000 together though, unless you don't spend anything whatsoever.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
dude. has the electric guitar always been a profitable avenue in terms of lessons and repairs in armenia?

seems to me you need to expand what you're offering. i.e., do you know much about recording? you could offer to help bands record, help them with equipment, etc etc. not so much a producer, more like an engineer. if you know you're way around it of course.

if not... i dunno, get a few gigs man. damn, you play guitar well enough to teach it after all. as you say, you're considered a good teacher over there. so start up a band already, do a few gigs, and you'll have yourself a slightly better income.

other than that, i haven't the slightest idea how small businesses get going over there. flyers? on shop windows? networking, i.e., tell your students to tell their friends to tell their mothers to tell their friends... etc
Advertise yourself. Email local schools.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
Quote by cptcomet
You gotta advertise man, only way. I don't see you getting $1000 together though, unless you don't spend anything whatsoever.

yeah well im living at my parents place and they cover my food and cloths and living expenses, that's pretty much how it works in Armenia... however they cover all that in the house, if i eat outside for example then it's on me...
I do plan cutting back on all junk food and get my spendings on minimal

dude. has the electric guitar always been a profitable avenue in terms of lessons and repairs in armenia?

not quite but it's a fast developing scene right now. all that rock and metal stuff, so i see a lot of potential guitarists, it's jsut when you see someone with a guitar, walking up them and asking if they want a teacher is quite weird dont you think?

seems to me you need to expand what you're offering. i.e., do you know much about recording? you could offer to help bands record, help them with equipment, etc etc. not so much a producer, more like an engineer. if you know you're way around it of course. if not... i dunno, get a few gigs man. damn, you play guitar well enough to teach it after all. as you say, you're considered a good teacher over there. so start up a band already, do a few gigs, and you'll have yourself a slightly better income.

well teh recording thing isn't working really, im quite fine in recording and all (god i've really recorded 4 albums on my own which aren't that bad really imo)

actually the gigs idea is nice, if i dont earn money that way, i'll at least get to meet up some more guitarists and potential students. the god thing also is that i play alone like Buckethead which is far better for small bars and all that, damn srsly this is a good idea, i gotta go thru the local pubs to see if they want any gigs and stuff

other than that, i haven't the slightest idea how small businesses get going over there. flyers? on shop windows? networking, i.e., tell your students to tell their friends to tell their mothers to tell their friends... etc

actually i am asking my students, and some of my current students came from the previous students, do you think a flyer could work? Also what would i put on those?

Advertise yourself. Email local schools.
schools dont even use emails over here... :p that's why i thought ima ask here

anyways guys, this seems to be really helpful, keep the ideas coming!
inb4 prostitution

I don't really know how to make money, I'm a uni student working at kfc.

But yeah what the others said, advertise online, maybe craigslist?
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Mental you get my vote for making me laugh for more than 3 minutes
Last edited by mental_cookie at Aug 19, 2011,
these adbots are getting pretty clever now right?
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
Get a different job? Or, at least, some part-time job in a shop or something until you get more guitar-related work? It'll suck, but it'll bring in cash.

EDIT: oops, didn't read all of the OP. Still, it'd be worth looking for at least a part-time job, might be easier to find than a full time job
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Random88
Get a different job? Or, at least, some part-time job in a shop or something until you get more guitar-related work? It'll suck, but it'll bring in cash.

EDIT: oops, didn't read all of the OP. Still, it'd be worth looking for at least a part-time job, might be easier to find than a full time job

yeah i know what you mean, just all the places are taken and nobody's willing to retire giving there's not much of job at all... still im going to this small music store today (all teh music stores are small here) I'll see if they'll want me as a guitar tech or anything like that and if they'll let me put some ads like guitar lessons and all
There must be jobs? Just apply everywhere. And do the lessons on the side? If you're teaching 6 lessons a week, you must have plenty of spare time to do another job too. Go around one day when you're not busy and ask everyone.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by Vendetta V
hmm hey this gives me an idea! there's a big rock concert (local bands but it's gonna be big) soon, i guess i need a bunch of flier to give away to the crowd.

question what should i put on the flier?

A picture of you shredding. Saying your price, how many years you have been playing. Your services, maybe a review from a student. And your phone number, e-mail, and any other contact information.