sorry for posting this im sure its a pretty amateur post but im looking for a beginner metal amp any suggestions ??
You can get a Peavey Vypyr for 99. I've heard those are pretty good practice amps. You're not going to be able to get anything too amazing for that price range though.
okay thanks ive heard that the line 6 spyder arent bad either but i supoose i could up my budget a bit to 100 if i save
You are right about the spider amps. I have two, one budget and one more expensive model. for the price you get so much for your money in terms of effects The tone on the cheeper amps is rather good for the price as well.
i think you're best off trying all the small modelling amps like the vypyr, spider, cube etc that fall within your budget and seeing which one you like best. they all do the same thing but they all do the same thing differently, if that makes sense - it's up to you to decide which you like better

but you need to be a bit more specific about your budget. "80" could mean anything.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I saw an Ibanez mimx the other day for 75 used. I guess its like a spyder but I didnt try it. Maybe something to look into?
Quote by NathanBell
sorry for posting this im sure its a pretty amateur post but im looking for a beginner metal amp any suggestions ??

Not to sound like an ass, but you posted you're looking for a V guitar for 400. You have two guitars already. Why would you not use the 400 on a decent amp?
Quote by Malenchanted
You can get a Peavey Vypyr for 99. I've heard those are pretty good practice amps. You're not going to be able to get anything too amazing for that price range though.

Get the vypyr good practice/ starter amp best for metal in your price range.
The spiders are just horrible sounding imo.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by NathanBell
okay thanks ive heard that the line 6 spyder arent bad either but i supoose i could up my budget a bit to 100 if i save

You've heard wrong, with the possible exception of the Spider valve, they are garbage.
A Vyper would be a far better option for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
IMO, the cube is the best amp for metal.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by D_M_I
Not to sound like an ass, but you posted you're looking for a V guitar for 400. You have two guitars already. Why would you not use the 400 on a decent amp?

actually the flying v is for my friend i thought id ask ug to find out what users think of a decent guitar and yes i want a amp for my esp so **** right off and stop thinking you know me when you dont you **** tard and how many guitars i have/want or need and what for is really non of your buisness so **** off
Quote by NathanBell
actually the flying v is for my friend i thought id ask ug to find out what users think of a decent guitar and yes i want a amp for my esp so **** right off and stop thinking you know me when you dont you **** tard and how many guitars i have/want or need and what for is really non of your buisness so **** off

Cool your jets man, with an attitude like that no one will want to help you.

Vypyr gets my vote (and not just because I own one either).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by NathanBell

I realized you are 15. So, I'll remove the shit talk I had here, accept you're a child with limited ability to act properly, and leave it at that.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by NathanBell

**** dude, you'd think he just accused you of murder or something? Chill out!

@ D M I: I have a feeling this isn't an age based thing, I'm 15 too... this guy is just a bit of a douchenozzle.
Check out the vox valvetronix line. I was looking at peavey vypyrs for a small bedroom practice amp and the guy pointed me towards the 30w valvetronix and let me A/B them and I thought the vox sounded worlds better. It has a single 12ax7 tube preamp so the tones are halfway decent. I only paid 100 dollars for it used.

IMO Valvetronix>Roland cube>vypyr>line 6 junk
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Quote by Bad.Seed
Check out the vox valvetronix line. I was looking at peavey vypyrs for a small bedroom practice amp and the guy pointed me towards the 30w valvetronix and let me A/B them and I thought the vox sounded worlds better. It has a single 12ax7 tube preamp so the tones are halfway decent. I only paid 100 dollars for it used.
Actually, On the Vox the 12AX7 is the power amp driver, not a preamp tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Actually, On the Vox the 12AX7 is the power amp driver, not a preamp tube.

Really? I was unaware that was even possible haha
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Yeah, it acts as a buffer between the preamp and the power amp. It's akin to the phase inverter in your 6505.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by epiphone316
try a marshall mg series. they are pretty good for the money.

I hope you brought enough drugs to share with everybody.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by epiphone316

if you're a robot, then maybe.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by epiphone316

Yeah, they're pretty good for an oversized paperweight. A huge +1 cuz it bears the MARSHALL logo.

TS, you're better off with a Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, Vox VT, or a Fender Mustang ( not the guitar ).

Oh, and keep it chill with the attitude TS.
Quote by Syriel
Yeah, they're pretty good for an oversized paperweight. A huge +1 cuz it bears the MARSHALL logo.

TS, you're better off with a Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, Vox VT, or a Fender Mustang ( not the guitar ).

Oh, and keep it chill with the attitude TS.

Upon further inspection i have found that the cheap plastic Marshall logos they put on the MG's are not even worth taking off and putting on something else... so yeah i dont even consider the logo a +1.

On a serious note i really like the VT series as a practice amp, shouldnt run you too much either if you go used on CL
Quote by rocknrolldude43
Cool your jets man, with an attitude like that no one will want to help you.

Vypyr gets my vote (and not just because I own one either).

yes i do need to chill but to be fair this forum was made to help me not too come on and Criticise what guitars have/want or need that is my buisness and shouldnt criticise that as far as i am aware if i want guitars pickups or amps im allowed them thanks muchly for all the help tho
Quote by NathanBell
yes i do need to chill but to be fair this forum was made to help me not too come on and Criticise what guitars have/want or need that is my buisness and shouldnt criticise that as far as i am aware if i want guitars pickups or amps im allowed them thanks muchly for all the help tho

mojostompboxes.com
He wasn't criticizing you. He said you were looking for a guitar worth $400, which you were. Then he said that money would be better spent on your amp, which it would. How in the world was he supposed to know the guitar thread was for your friend?

I think you should take your $80 and get an English tutor because your little blowup just showed your lack of vocabulary and lack of manners. When you get in the real world will you tell your boss "go fuc.k yourself fu.ck tard, mind your own business and stop criticizing F.UCK FUC.K FU.CK"?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

The vypyr will give you the most options for the price and is very popular. I have not tried one but there is a Dime Blacktooth 20W ($120 US so it's a bit more) that should have all the metal you need but none of the FX. Plus it has a 10" emi speaker which will give more low end. For all I know they are crap. It depends on what you're after, FX or lots of gain. If I had to buy without trying first, I would go with a Vypyr.

Now, to be fair, If you were a friend of mine and said you have $480, 2 guitars and no amp. Then said you wanted to buy a $400 guitar and an $80 amp, I would have smacked you, as any friend should. It wasn't meant to be an insult.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 20, 2011,
Typical noob post when he is given constructive criticism

Go for the roland cube or peavey vyper, and chill/grow up a bit..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
^ +1

Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, it acts as a buffer between the preamp and the power amp. It's akin to the phase inverter in your 6505.

+1 I'd go as far as to say it is a gimmick on the Valvetronix series

Quote by epiphone316

Quote by Cathbard
I hope you brought enough drugs to share with everybody.

+1

Quote by NathanBell

It doesn't work that way. You are on the public internet.

Quote by greeny23

lol

Quote by D_M_I
The vypyr will give you the most options for the price and is very popular.

Now, to be fair, If you were a friend of mine and said you have $480, 2 guitars and no amp. Then said you wanted to buy a $400 guitar and an $80 amp, I would have smacked you, as any friend should. It wasn't meant to be an insult.

+ 311

Quote by Bad.Seed
Really? I was unaware that was even possible haha

here is an amp that uses a 12AX7 in both the preamp and the power amp

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 20, 2011,