So I recently picked these 2 Oranges up!
Orange Terror Bass 500W with a SP212 cab and an Orange Dark Terror with a PPC112 cab!

I got the Terror Bass last week, and the Dark Terror this week.
Since I am mainly a guitarist...I won't really say that much about the Terror Bass other than I love it to bits, and it does everything I want from a bass amp and more...super easy to tweak it to sound exactly like I want.
Feel free to ask away if you have any questions regarding the Terror Bass though and I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have!

Ok, Dark Terror content now!
I am terrible at trying to write reviews, and I haven't had any high gain tube amp experience prior to his amp either, so bear with me!

First, let's start off by saying wow...cleans are awesome...at first glance, I didn't think this amp would be able to do much in the way of cleans, but I was dead wrong there. Up to around 9-10 o'clock it stays pretty clean, only starting to break up slightly at that point when you attack hard.
Gain remains pretty sensible until around 1'o'clock when it starts going pretty nuts...so much gain...sooo much..

Shape knob (wtf!)
Well this is the part I knew I'd be a bit on the fence about when I decided on this amp...and I am still not super thrilled about it.
You do get really nice tones from it without too much hassle, but as many people say about the shape know on the TH30, it's mostly between 10 and 2 o'clock...although I'd like to say that 3'o'clock is pretty nice too!
The extremes are kinda fun I guess, but you don't get any great tones there really in my opinion.
I guess this is the place where I say what range of tones it's capable of?
Well in my opinion...one thing the shape knob actually does well...is make it easy to find typical bluesy tones, typical rock and typical scooped metal sounds.. so I think it is really versatile and can probably handle pretty much any genre you throw at it fairly well. You might need to do some EQ'ing in the FX loop though to fine tune it.

I tried it briefly with my POD HD500 (just fx...no amp sim) running a screamer pedal as a boost and it really works wonders for this amp. It tightens up really really nicely, and it kept my 8-string really tight and articulate on the lower end - so a boost pedal is definitely recommended for this amp to really kill.

I have a Green Rhino pedal on the way that I'll run with this amp, and I'm sure that'll do wonders.

Alright...some negatives now.
I didn't really get a good tone that cut well for metal type of tones, since the tones I want are on the end where the mids are being scooped a bit.. so I'd LOVE a 3 band EQ instead of the shape knob.
However I do own an MXR 10-band EQ, so I threw that into the FX loop and that sorted out all those problems.
The FX loop brings me to my second negative.
The FX loop adds a bit of a hiss when you run that, but it's not enough to bother me while playing at all...just be aware that it'll be hissing a bit.

Hrm...I think that is pretty much it! Let me know if I missed something vital that anyone is curious about!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I hear you like orange :P Both look sexy. I'd love a bass terror, though I'm not totally convinced by the dark terror, I don't think I'll ever trust a metal amp without a proper EQ. However I know very little about high gain amps. Either way, HNAD!
hnad

At leas you had pics lol
I posted a nad coming soon out of my excitment for buying A mesa boogie blackface 2 ch. dual, and said Id post clips and pics when the amp came in, I was basically just sharing with gga.
All in all I got a 60 day warning for it.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
hnad

At leas you had pics lol
I posted a nad coming soon out of my excitment for buying A mesa boogie blackface 2 ch. dual, and said Id post clips and pics when the amp came in, I was basically just sharing with gga.
All in all I got a 60 day warning for it.

Rules is rules. No reason to post a thread about something that is going to happen.

TS

The Dark Terror looks great. I see you would almost have to have the seperate eq to get the amp where you want it. Very interesting choice by Orange.
Cheers guys, and yeah I do like my Oranges
I think the shape knob works great if you want to get a good tone quickly, but if you want to record or use it in a band setting an EQ pedal is really helpful.
I'll probably update this once I get my Green Rhino and get to try that out with my Dark Terror.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Cool amps, the Terror series of guitar amps aren't really my thing, but I'm sure it sounds great.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts on the bass amp, though. Did you compare it to any other amps before you bought it? What are you playing through it? Can it get gritty if you want it, but still stay clean at higher volumes too?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cool amps, the Terror series of guitar amps aren't really my thing, but I'm sure it sounds great.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts on the bass amp, though. Did you compare it to any other amps before you bought it? What are you playing through it? Can it get gritty if you want it, but still stay clean at higher volumes too?

I didnt try any other amps when I got this, and it's my first bass amp ever actually.
I play my Ibanez BTB with EMG's through it, and it stays clean at real loud volumes yep
This may sound stupid, but I didn't explore all the possibilities with it yet, I just found the nice punchy clean I like and stuck with that.
I am not at home now, but tomorrow when I'll be back home I'll see how gritty I can get it and report back here

Actually even if you need it clean at even higher volumes theres a 1000W version of this head as well..
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

also, which cab is the SP212? I don't see any 212s

SP212 is the bass cab, it is 2 12" speakers one behind the other, so it doesnt look like your standard 2x12
Check them out here http://www.orangeamps.com/sp212-isobaric-2x12-bass-speaker-cabinet/
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
SP212 is the bass cab, it is 2 12" speakers one behind the other, so it doesnt look like your standard 2x12
Check them out here http://www.orangeamps.com/sp212-isobaric-2x12-bass-speaker-cabinet/
The SPs are very nice cabs and I love how light they are. Few appearances in the Used market, though.

Hnad.

Is the FX loop in the DT valve buffered? Mines silent in the TH30, you might wanna try a new 12at7 in the loop. And some new valves in general, stock its a combination of shuguangs and no name valves.

The shape knob imo, is better than a tone control. But yeah a 3 band would be nice.
Quote by beckyjc
Hnad.

Is the FX loop in the DT valve buffered? Mines silent in the TH30, you might wanna try a new 12at7 in the loop. And some new valves in general, stock its a combination of shuguangs and no name valves.

The shape knob imo, is better than a tone control. But yeah a 3 band would be nice.

Thanks!
Yeah it's got a 12at7 in the fx loop. I might upgrade that then.
Any advise as to which tubes I should be looking for? Very pleased to hear new tubes might sort that out!
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Ive got a combination of EHX, ruby and JJs in my TH30 atm..

Im experimenting with a few more 12at7s too. I wanna lower the 3/4th gain stage a bit since it just adds noise if you turn the gain past 3 oclock.

JJs compliment oranges well, since theyre dark valves.
TADs are pretty full and good all round.
EHX are kinda bright, i dont think theyre too good, enhances the fizz of the amp really.
Tung sols are brighter but well balanced.
I like the ruby as a clean valve, sounds a bit stiff though.

Some nos stuff might be an idea like Jan Phillips or Mullard. Depends what your price range is really. Luckily there isnt as many valves in the DT so its not as expensive.

You can get NOS 12at7s for next to nothing on ebay. Its probably worth getting one for the PI too.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 20, 2011,
Wow thank you, that is so helpful. I'll probably order a couple of sets the coming week
My price range is kinda wide, so I might be doing some experimentation just like you
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Last edited by Shor at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by Shor

very cool

learn something new everyday
Quote by MatrixClaw
Can it get gritty if you want it, but still stay clean at higher volumes too?

I finally got round to pushing the bass amp some now.
It most definitely gets really gritty if you just crank the gain some. I tend to play with my gain at around 10 o clock and that won't really get you much grit unless you play really hard and with a pick (which I don't), but turn it up to around 1 o clock and it'll be nice and gritty. Further onwards from that is just a bit too much for me though, it compresses heavily and you lose too much definition for my taste.
Keeping gain at reasonable levels you can easily push it up really loud keeping it clean...this amp is really really really loud if you want it to be. I stopped when things started shaking and falling off of nearby tables though :p
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
i always had a weakness for a orange coloured (half)stack might be because i'm dutch whaha
HNAD dude!
personally i'd wish for more features on the dark(tiny too) terror. spring reverb and full EQ is all i wanted
Update...I got my Way Huge Green Rhino in the mail just now..and man...it works wonders!
Tightens everything up beautifully, and with the extra dials on it (100hz cut/boost and mid curve) it totally sorts out pretty much everything that I need my EQ-pedal for + it makes it sound sooo much sweeter!

Definitely recommend that OD-pedal as well!
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass