Hey

I have a question: Why do some bands get hated, regardless of the music they make?
For example BMTH. Why do they get hated, and not bands like August Burns Red, who are very similar? What about Paramore?
I listen to all three bands, and I really don't know what they did that so much people hate them.

And last but not least: I don't like Justin Biebers music, but why in the world should I ever want him to die or anything?! Instead of hating him, I just don't give a shit. Why can't people do that instead of leaving their inmature comments on youtube?

thanks guys
Last edited by Weirdbag at Aug 19, 2011,
Because it's cool to hate things; it makes you appear part of a group and allows sad, lonely people to feel like they belong.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
All sort of reasons.
I think it's because some bands get popular, and these people are jealous of the fans of this band [possibly because of knowing people who loved those bands and ended up not being so friendly with them], and so hate on that band.

Or they just hate the style and are too immature to deal with it.

Or fearful that these bands will replace/change their own scene.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
A Gust Burns Red would make a sick humorcore band.

Anyways, cause they suck and the bands I like ar beter lolollo

P.S. people need to start hating on Death Cab for Cutie more.
Last edited by Weaponized at Aug 19, 2011,
Because people have opinions that they feel the need to express through a public and anonymous medium.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Its more their image or personalities that make people hate them, not so much their music. Just like people hate certain non-music related celebrities. I completely agree with you that wishing death on anybody you dont know is taking things too far, for all they know Justin Beiber could be a really nice guy.
BMTH are more widely known/heard of than ABR so they would get more hate. I personally dislike both for their music, but I don't know anything about the guys in ABR. I've met (not one on one though) Oli Sykes and one of the guitarists from BMTH and he is as much of a prick as he seems on screen. I can only assume they all are, therefore I dislike them an added amount.
'everything happens for a reason' is a relatively widely excepted view and goes hand-in-hand with religion, justin beiber says it once and people start making demotivational posters captioned 'RAPE; IT HAPPENS FOR A REASON'. it's pathetic.

personalities directly affect the music, so i understand if someone doesn't like BMTH or AA because they're a bunch of dicks, because, well, why would you want to listen to a dick's music? but there's a difference between having an opinion and expressing it and hating every chance you get.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
We already had a thread about why BMTH gets hated on. Get with the times man.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Because the minute a band is popular enough to be considered mainstream elitists can't like it anymore.
Hence they have to put faith in bands that have no chance of being mainstream that don't "sell-out" as it were.

That's not saying that I disagree. There marketing methods do stray from the music and many bands change their sound entirely. This can be argued as their own new stylistic approach or an attempt to appeal to a broader audience which is perceived as selling out; fair enough.

If I was in an underground band and got offered a spot in a big label, I think I would be quite happy to sell out to sell more records. It's money at the end of the day and that is what's important these days.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Aug 19, 2011,
That's because if many or merely a very, very loud minority are hollering about their hate, they want to hate it, using no sensible -- or relevant -- reason.

Live and let live.
As the answer is in the comments above me I'll take this time to say hello, good morning. So plus one to the guys above me.
Is this thread about NICKELBACK???
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
I don't like Justin Biebers music, but why in the world should I ever want him to die or anything?!

Not sure if serious....
Hate can be used as a pretty good marketing tactic, if not for hate, Bieber wouldn't be half as famous.

I think people generally hate the fans of a band more than the band itself, unless the frontman of the band is the only remaining member from an awesome lineup.
DeVillains!
One reason I think bands like BMTH get hated because loads of their fans are just bandwagon jumping scene kids. I wonder how many of the older fans were serious blink 182, pop-punk, alternative radio rock and grunge fans 10-15 years ago. I have a number of acquaintances who fit that description perfectly. Now that they are into metal they come to me for all things related metal. Imma tryinta get them into the likes of Suffocation and Incantation. Or hell, startin' em off easy with Death and Morbid Angel. But they ain't havin' it.

But to be fair it's not like you can easily see those bands live. Well some you can but the more niche ones, no not really. Nor Death, for unfortunate reasons.

I also think it has to do with their popularity. Metal, and more specifically extreme metal, has always been an underground, un-popular genre. When I was in school in the 90s it wasn't cool or popular to be a metal head. Yet that seems to be the main reason why newer fans have started to enjoy the genre now. If the more mainstream stuff ever becomes uncool or unpopular they'll move on.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Aug 19, 2011,
Mostly it's just a hated image..and in some cases (example avenged sevenfold), I think it's also got something to do with their fans..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Difference of musical taste + retards + internet = hate.

Basically listen to what you want, and if someone gets all AMIGAWD THAT BAND ARE TOTALLY NOT COOL, slap them in the face with your ****.
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Quote by BlackVoid
One reason I think bands like BMTH get hated because loads of their fans are just bandwagon jumping scene kids. I wonder how many of the older fans were serious blink 182, pop-punk, alternative radio rock and grunge fans 10-15 years ago. I have a number of acquaintances who fit that description perfectly. Now that they are into metal they come to me for all things related metal. Imma tryinta get them into the likes of Suffocation and Incantation. Or hell, startin' em off easy with Death and Morbid Angel. But they ain't havin' it.

Oh my God! People liking a different kind of music to that which they liked 15 years ago! What utter pathetic, lowlife, intolerable, ignorant, retarded, pathetic, goat-sucking, frog-humping, rubbish picking, granny suckling, air stealing arsewipes!

...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I dislike Paramore quite a bit. I don't think they're particularly great or anything but they have a couple songs I find catchy.

But for some reason it's the fans that make me hate the band. In my college course last year all the guys were like "OMG Hayley Williams is bare fit you know? And she can SING! and like OMG they're so ****ing amazing, like the best band out there"

And then hate on me or say dumb when asked what I think and reply with "I don't really care for Paramore, don't like them, not my thing thanks."
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
why would you hate a band for their fans? download their album, stop visiting their youtube pages/sites and disconnect from the fanbase and allow the music to reach you on a personal level.
Quote by Weirdbag
For example BMTH. Why do they get hated, and not bands like August Burns Red, who are very similar?

The only similarity is that they both fall under the very broad category of metalcore. ABR are a lot more metal than core, whereas BMTH are not, the vocalist is a d*ck and sounds like someone crying while their tongue is nailed to a table.
Quote by laid-to-waste
why would you hate a band for their fans? download their album, stop visiting their youtube pages/sites and disconnect from the fanbase and allow the music to reach you on a personal level.

Easier said than done if not for the fact that I have to interact with them everyday and that and Bullet for my Valentine are ALL they talk about. That and getting drunk.

I bought their first two albums, sat through and listened to them 3 times each.... Just not for me.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
Easier said than done if not for the fact that I have to interact with them everyday and that and Bullet for my Valentine are ALL they talk about. That and getting drunk.

I bought their first two albums, sat through and listened to them 3 times each.... Just not for me.

i just don't understand not liking a band for their fan base. makes no sense to me, and i'd shrug it off if i didn't hear it absolutely everywhere.
Quote by laid-to-waste
i just don't understand not liking a band for their fan base. makes no sense to me, and i'd shrug it off if i didn't hear it absolutely everywhere.

Alright, put it this way...

You listen to a band with no opinions whatsoever but come to the conclusion the music isn't for you.
But the guys in your class never shut up about said band day after day after day, saying "Have you heard such and such?" *Plays song in it's entirety from mobile phone*

Dude, after 2 weeks of that, it just becomes irritating and you'll start to dislike the music as well as the people 'causing irritation.

I don't hate Paramore, I just dislike the music and the fanbase, just not my thing.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Quote by Niiko
Alright, put it this way...

You listen to a band with no opinions whatsoever but come to the conclusion the music isn't for you.
But the guys in your class never shut up about said band day after day after day, saying "Have you heard such and such?" *Plays song in it's entirety from mobile phone*

Dude, after 2 weeks of that, it just becomes irritating and you'll start to dislike the music as well as the people 'causing irritation.

I don't hate Paramore, I just dislike the music and the fanbase, just not my thing.

because of the first sentence i now know what you mean. i just meant the idea of not liking a band solely for its fan base. but yeah, if you don't like a band, being around fans won't help very much and will just amplify your resentment, i've done the same thing with bands too.
Quote by laid-to-waste
because of the first sentence i now know what you mean. i just meant the idea of not liking a band solely for its fan base. but yeah, if you don't like a band, being around fans won't help very much and will just amplify your resentment, i've done the same thing with bands too.

I knew it just wasn't me

Though I'd probably be doing the same thing as them if it were Alter Bridge or Lamb of God
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

it is just human nature to be petty hate filled idiots. Same reason people hate on Gibson or fender, ford or chevy... hell even religions. I personally don't really care what people like or dislike, that is there gimmick and i am cool with it. Just the same way i don't need to hear why my guitar is crap or why a band i like isn't cool. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they usually stink.
Quote by laid-to-waste

This.....but to answer the TS question, basically its because people are to stupid to realize that music is subjective, and whether they like it or dislike it is irrelevant and doesn't apply to anyone but themselves, the problem is the internet has just given people like that a soapbox to stand on.
I never really hate on bands that much, and when I do it's usually just a joke. I like Green Day and A7X, so it gets annoying that they get so much shit. Though I can understand some of the A7X hate, since a lot of their fans are idiots.

Average 13 year old fan: "OMG!! A7X are the bestest band ever. Syn is the greatest most talented guitarist ever. They are so hard and brootal"

It annoys me too.

But that's really the fans being annoying and not the actual band. They shouldn't stop you from listening to the music. Unless of course, you don't like it.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 19, 2011,
The way they look and market themselves
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017