Hey guys, I've been having some tone issues and am still pretty inexperienced with this type of thing.(Getting a good sound / using the EQ effectively etc.)

But I am using Peavy 2x12 Ultra tube amp(preamp tubes do need to be changed, but just did power tubes a month and a half ago) and a Bosst GT-6 processor.

Now recently I never really like my distortion tone, was too muddy and didn't pack that nice punch. I thought it was my pick ups. But some guy at my local music store told me not to run my pre-amp on my pedal.

I shut off my preamp and changed my over drive and BAM! There was that sound I was looking for. UNTIL.....I palm muted. It sounds like the palm mute is louder/way bassier than open chords / notes.

So to clarify, I am running my amp through the clean channel. Running over drive on my pedal and that's it. But the channel does have an EQ on it as well as anti-feedback.

Any help is appreciated.
Put all knobs (except for volume of course) at 5 (straight up) and then change them one at the time. It's the way I got a really sweet tone.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
That sounds like a god idea. I'll try that later. The problem is I have that EQ running on my pedal as well as on my amp. I might try disabling the pedal EQ, or just do the same for that one. (Although I would have to juggle 2 EQs instead of just one then...)

I think I might like a Boss ME-50 better. Seems more simple to get good tone. But that kind of seems like the easy way out instead of learning how to do it myself. It's just hard w/ no real direction.(Or much direction rather)
No one have any more help or advice? Perhaps I should've made a better thread title...
When running a MFX and an amp together, it is best to start with direct plug and play, meaning just plug your guitar into the amp. Nothing else. Get a tone you like. THEN add pedal(s) one by one. Adjust your EQ to account for each pedal. Also, don't use the ME-50 as a tone shaping device.

Can you do the 4 cable method with the ME-50? I don't think so...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
When running a MFX and an amp together, it is best to start with direct plug and play, meaning just plug your guitar into the amp. Nothing else. Get a tone you like. THEN add pedal(s) one by one. Adjust your EQ to account for each pedal. Also, don't use the ME-50 as a tone shaping device.

Can you do the 4 cable method with the ME-50? I don't think so...

Thanks man. That seems to make a lot more sense if you want optimal tone. Starting with the amp first. I should really only need to set the tone for my main(Clean) channel though right?

TBH IDK how to have my guitar plugged into the amp directly and still use my pedal. I could probably figure it out by looking at it, I never tried. But you need 4 cables to do it this way? Sounds like I might need to buy two more cables...Come to think of it I had a back-up cable that seems to of run off on me.....
Quote by Hamsald
Thanks man. That seems to make a lot more sense if you want optimal tone. Starting with the amp first. I should really only need to set the tone for my main(Clean) channel though right?

TBH IDK how to have my guitar plugged into the amp directly and still use my pedal. I could probably figure it out by looking at it, I never tried. But you need 4 cables to do it this way? Sounds like I might need to buy two more cables...Come to think of it I had a back-up cable that seems to of run off on me.....

You cannot do the 4CM with the ME-50. Just checked.

Well if you are using the Boss for your distortions, then yes, you only need to set up your clean tone to your liking. Step by step process, here we go:

1. Plug in only your guitar to your amp.
2. Set desired clean tone on the clean channel.
3. Put the Boss in the chain.
4. Tweak until you find the sounds you like.

(alternate/what I would do)
1. Plug in only your guitar to your amp.
2. Set desired clean tone on the clean channel.
3. Switch channels to the distorted channel.
4. Set desired tone. (This may take some time, the distorted channel has a parametric EQ, meaning if you change one thing, other things change as well.)
5. Put the ME-50 IN THE EFFECTS LOOP. This will require you to buy more cables. Sorry. You can temporarily put it in front of the amp, that's cool too. You might even like it better. When in the loop you can use it for modulation, while getting all your clean and OD tones from the amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I feel like such a noob. But step #3 is the only thing I need elaborated I guess. I'm guessing there's a spot on my amp and pedal to plug a cable? So then am I missing where you need 4 cables?

I won't bother setting the distortion channels on my amp because I don't have a way to switch between my amp channels other than manually pushing the button.

But I would like to use the processor for OD and effects.
Last edited by Hamsald at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by Hamsald
I feel like such a noob. But step #3 is the only thing I need elaborated I guess. I'm guessing there's a spot on my amp and pedal to plug a cable? So then am I missing where you need 4 cables?

I won't bother setting the distortion channels on my amp because I don't have a way to switch between my amp channels other than manually pushing the button.

But I would like to use the processor for OD and effects.

Ah, alright. And don't feel like a n00b. We were all there at one point.

Okay, so disregard the effects loop part right now. I also was assuming that you had a footswitch. Basically, run it this way:

guitar>ME-50>input of the amp. What sort of tones are you trying to achieve?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Just to be clear I got a Boss GT-6.

That's how I'm running it now. Guitar->GT-6->Amp

I am interested in the direct in to the amp though. Not sure if it makes a difference in sound though.

I kind of like that more metally tone. Nice good crunch but not all muddy. W/ good palm mute sound / pinch harmonics. I play in a mostly cover band though, but I found the distortion works for w/e song.

Wow, I failed right there big time. I read that you had the ME-50, not that you liked it better. Honestly, buy a footswitch for the Peavey. You have the base for a GREAT metal tone right there. Then you only have to worry about the GT-6 for effects.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Ight, I'll have to play w/ the distortion channels on my amp I guess. Didn't remember it being THAT awesome last time. But I'll check E-Bay for the footswitch and try it out.

Never tried saving channels w/ just effects running on my pedal before but I'm assuming you must be able to do it. They always have a preamp or some OD or distortion on.
Pretty sure there is a way to bypass them...also, with the GT series, you CAN do the 4CM. But I would worry about finding a good base for your tone, with your amp, first. With the distortion channel, start with all knobs at 5/pointing straight up.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Found a footswitch on Ebay for $20...No cables though. Some other nicer looking one's for $70, w/ cables.

Now that you mention it I'm pretty sure one of the spots on the dial for preamp and distortion settings is bypass.

I'll that though as far as setting my base tone on my amp and going from there goes. I was hoping it'd be an easy fix for the problem I was describing with my distortion but it doesn't seem it's that way w/ EQs. Trial and error I suppose.
That's the way it is usually...tone chasing is a cruel, cruel bitch. Get used to it
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have a feeling that if I use my ultra channel on my amp now it wouldn't sound how it's supposed to be though. Pretty sure those 12ax7's need to be changed. That's what the tech told me when he replaced my power tubes.

I just didn't bother cause I wasn't using the distortion. But I will use your tricks to set it and get a better tone. Just need to get that stupid sound out of my distortion...blah

[Edit]:Because I do like the tones I get for clean and distortion. It's just that damn sound when I palm mute.
Last edited by Hamsald at Aug 19, 2011,
Well then you can stick to what you are using. The palm muting flubbing out could be a result of too much bass in your signal. Try cutting it back some.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'll try that out. I tried cutting it back on my amps EQ, seemed to help some but then everything else seemed to lack bass. IDk , really weird. I will just keep messing with it though. Could very well be the EQ that's running on the pedal.
Very true. Could be that too much input/signal from the processor is overdriving (in a bad way). That used to happen to me when I ran a multi in front.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If you have a graphic EQ on your boss pedal you have a lot more flexibility. Cut frequencies under 100hz a bit. The further down the frequencies go, the more you should cut them. Try that, and maybe add a bit more around 200-300hz.

That's only if you have a graphic setting on your pedal's EQ :P
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I believe it is....I also have a sub EQ if I recall. Not sure what the purpose or anything of it is.

Not quite sure what you mean about the frequencies and cutting them. You mean like if a bass setting was at 100hz to lower it? And crank some up to 200-300hz? Not quite sure what you mean, sorry.
Quote by Shinozoku
If you have a graphic EQ on your boss pedal you have a lot more flexibility. Cut frequencies under 100hz a bit. The further down the frequencies go, the more you should cut them. Try that, and maybe add a bit more around 200-300hz.

That's only if you have a graphic setting on your pedal's EQ :P

Would apprecaite some elaborating. Or if someone else could, that's fine.