Hi

I'm looking for my first amp (I currently play classical, but want an electric, I'll be playing everything up to hard rock, and maybe a tiny amount of metal, not a priority though)
I'v been looking at a Fender Pro Junior, and in all the videos it sounds great, and I should be able to afford it- but that's where I get confused, I don't know a great deal about amps, all I know is that this one sounds nice, is a tube, and can be loud.
I will only really be playing in my bedroom though, so all that volume isn't necessary- in fact, I don't really want it, but I'v heard that at low volume, it's all clean, with no distortion- and if I didn't want distortion, I wouldn't be buying an electric!
Is this the case with all amps- you only get distortion or overdrive (Is there a difference? I'm a noob...) at high volume, and at the low volume I will be playing, it will be all clean?

I know I probably sound like an idiot- but can someone please explain to me about how all this works?

Also, if anyone has a decent tube amp that cost about £300 or under, what is it, and can I play it quietly, with distortion?

Thanks
If you want good distortion at low volumes, you might want to go look at some solid state amps instead. Most tube amps will need you to crank it up to get a good distorted sound.
Just after posting this, I heard about the Vox AC4TV, it's allot quiter, and can be played at 0.25w!
Going up to 4, this seems like it will do the job better, and it's cheaper!
Quote by Honkern
If you want good distortion at low volumes, you might want to go look at some solid state amps instead. Most tube amps will need you to crank it up to get a good distorted sound.

not true at all. there's tonnes of tube amps that sound just as good quiet as they do loud. its all a matter of what they were made for, and what type of "distortion" you're going for. if you want modern sounds, most come from pre amp. that means turn up the gain, turn down the volume. sounds good. if you want an ac/dc type distortion, then thats a different story (but still possible using pre amp).

basically, for distortion you're looking at the wrong amp. look into black star. they've got a lot of little guys that'll work for you. and you are going to want either an overdrive to boost it, or a straight up distortion if you cant achieve the sounds you want with the overdrive. an OD will send more signal through the already distorted signal to "boost" it. a distortion is played through the clean and basically turns that into a distortion channel. when you're amp shopping, get some of the sales guys to hook up several types of overdrive and distortion pedals to see what you like.
the fender pro junior and the vox you're talking about are single channel. when you turn them up the tubes will break up and distort. now you can get a tube amp with 2 channels, one being clean and the other being overdrive/distortion. these are more expensive (typically). being a beginner it might be a better idea to go solid state with the two channels. or you could get a single channel tube amp like the Pro Junior and buy an overdrive pedal. boss makes some decent lower priced OD and distortion pedals like SD1 and DS1.

If I were you I'd probably get the Pro Junior and a Boss SD-1.
Thanks for the info, I'v found a Vox ACTV4 8" amp, that's only about £150, so that leaves some cash for an overdrive pedal, I'v seen videos of this amp being used with decent distortion, at really low volume- I'll be using a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, so reckon it should sound nice
Quote by Honkern

Totally ignore this post. It's so wrong that it transcends simply being wrong and crosses into straight-jacket territory.

Have a look at some Laney Cubs. With your budget you would be better off hitting the used market.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That will work. You can always get an external cab to hook up to it later. Those tiny cabs and speakers tend to have a boxy or less airy tone.

Another good option is the Fender Super Champ XD. You can get a lot of variety with out adding pedals. And it has a nice tube tone.
Quote by Cathbard

Have a look at some Laney Cubs. With your budget you would be better off hitting the used market.

The Cub12 to be precise. The 10 and 8 are kinda meh.
I've got an AC4TV and it's a really really nice amp...but you wont get really nice overdriven tone at low volumes, despite what you might think from watching videos. You'll still need a bit of volume.
You could pick it up and buy an overdrive pedal or perhaps even a distortion pedal if you want to get some distortion at lower volumes.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Evilllamas
Thanks for the info, I'v found a Vox ACTV4 8" amp, that's only about £150, so that leaves some cash for an overdrive pedal, I'v seen videos of this amp being used with decent distortion, at really low volume- I'll be using a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, so reckon it should sound nice

I think the ACTV4 will make a great amp for your needs, especially with the pedal. If you can check out a Fender Super Champ XD like mentioned above, I would give that a try too. Very versatile, but not entirely tube in the signal chain. I do own one and love it though.
Last edited by Chetbango at Aug 19, 2011,