I think the epiphone costume is sexy as hell. 699.00 looks bad ass.

Then at the same time i see the gib studio for 799.
Striped of all the beauty.

Which would you consider to be better quality equipment?

I love the think lp sound. I dont care what i play i just want good quality. But society has brain washed us to only play name brand stuff.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Have you tried them?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Have you tried them?

this.

it's the only way you'll find out which you like better. it's more than likely that the gibson will be a lot better quality but it's really down to which you like better because they may both be les pauls but they aren't even close to being the same.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yep. You'll need to try them both. Either way, get a used one. Personally, I just can't get over the headstock of the Epiphones. Having said that, I've played some awesome Epiphones and the fnish on them is top notch.
Sice it seems you already have some guitars, I personally would wait to have enought money to buy a non studio Gibson.

Between the epi and the gibson, if you aren't supposed to pay 100 more only for the name, the gibson should be better.

By the way, I tried only the LP studio, and I didn't really like its sound; I prefered my schecter blackjack (I didn't have enought money for the LP standard or traditional..or something like that)

But this is only a newbie's opinion (and probably personal preferences too)
Last edited by Michele_R at Aug 19, 2011,
For $50 more than the Gibson Studio your into a Gibson 60's Tribute Studio which looks nice and has been getting some good reviews.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
For $50 more than the Gibson Studio your into a Gibson 60's Tribute Studio which looks nice and has been getting some good reviews.

The Tribute has P90s though AFAIK, which TS might or might not want.

Also, online reviews aren't exactly reliable.
I own a Gibson studio, it's an awesome guitar for the price. I'd always go with the Studio over an Epiphone.

Used is even better. You can find a used studio for $500-600 on CL is you are patient and keep an eye out.
Quote by JesusCrisp
The Tribute has P90s though AFAIK, which TS might or might not want.

Also, online reviews aren't exactly reliable.

Good point on the P90s.
I am referring to reviews on MLP forum not the you-tube 'star wanna-bees'.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Good point on the P90s.
I am referring to reviews on MLP forum not the you-tube 'star wanna-bees'.

OK then.

Played one of those Tributes myself and really really liked it.
The Faded Studio was another favorite of mine, liked the SG better though.
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Aug 19, 2011,
Try them both back to back and get whatever plays and feels better to you. It doesnt matter what it says on the headstock.
Like other people have said, try them yourself and see what you like more. I'd expect the Gibson so sound better but you never know. You usually have to pay more just to get a "Gibson".
I've got a black 2006 Gibson LP Studio on my lap right now. I got a good deal on a used one. I love it, but the Epiphone Custom quality is probably no less. You swap the pick-ups, and you won't know the difference.

But like a few people have already said, you've gotta go try them out for yourself. Whichever you prefer the quality on both will be good.
Quote by Malenchanted
Like other people have said, try them yourself and see what you like more. I'd expect the Gibson so sound better but you never know. You usually have to pay more just to get a "Gibson".

This. my mate has a LP studio and even he said there is no difference between that guitar and my epi lp cusom. It's what feels better to YOU.
Quote by OP-IVY
This. my mate has a LP studio and even he said there is no difference between that guitar and my epi lp cusom. It's what feels better to YOU.

Other than nitro vs. poly finish, the pickups, tuners and the fact that the Gibson was hand-built in the USA, he's right.

Higher-end Epis are going to feel similar to Gibsons. They're designed to be as close to a Gibson as possible on a budget. With Gibson you're paying for more expensive/higher quality parts (including wood and finish).
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by 3074326
Other than nitro vs. poly finish, the pickups, tuners and the fact that the Gibson was hand-built in the USA, he's right.

Higher-end Epis are going to feel similar to Gibsons. They're designed to be as close to a Gibson as possible on a budget. With Gibson you're paying for more expensive/higher quality parts (including wood and finish).

Only if you use that term pretty loosely.
Quote by 3074326

Haha well the neck on the Gibby was wider/thicker but soundwise they wernt any different. We were playing through a JCM800 so that might of had something to do with it I might be a tiny bit biased but i think the custom is a great guitar and in the 5/6 years I've had it, it has not let me down once while the studio's headstock has broken clean off twice.
Last edited by OP-IVY at Aug 20, 2011,
Gibson was hand-built in the USA, he's right..

Quote by W4RP1G
Only if you use that term pretty loosely.

i don't know how you can say that is "loosly" i just toured the Gibson factory in Tenessee when i drove through. seemed like there were a lot of busy hands there, i was there at a good time, pretty much everyone was at thier station, which was cool to see.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't know how you can say that is "loosly" i just toured the Gibson factory in Tenessee when i drove through. seemed like there were a lot of busy hands there, i was there at a good time, pretty much everyone was at thier station, which was cool to see.

I'm sure there are lots of hands between the cnc machines and other machines that shape the guitar, probably moreso than say a Korean guitar from the Samick factory, but I wonder, can that be called handmade?
Yes the body is basically totally CNC'ed for accuracy. Shape, contour and location of critical mounting holes. That's about it though. Necks are almost totally hand done (some cnc on basic shape after hand cut) then hand finished for final profile.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Aug 20, 2011,
Both guitars can be really good or really bad, you need to play both and decide.

I had a 2000 LP Studio and it was a very nice guitar, but the QC of Gibson is not the best anymore (especially on the lower end lines).

Another thing I don't like about the newer Studios is they are chambered not solid, so the LP sustain isn't the same.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate