I currently have an Orange Tiny Terror Combo, and while it sounds great clean and low/mid gain, when I start playing anything high gain I just feel it lacks, which I guess I knew would be the case when I bought it, but it's irritating me more than I thought it would.

So I have two options, either save up and invest in some pedals to beef it up - in which case recommendations would be helpful

or

Sell it and buy something with some on board effects (I was thinking a Cube 40XL or a Vox Valvetronic 40W)

I'm aware there will be a drop in sound quality down to these amps, but I'll make a little money on it too. I also like the idea of having a delay and modulation effects on board as I probably wouldn't use them enough to justify buying a pedal, but it would be nice to use them every now and again.

This is just for home practice and maybe some jamming, but likely no more than that.

Essentially I'm asking, is the sound quality drop going to be huge if I drop down to an amp like the Cube or VT40? Or will the TT sound much better at high gain with a pedal added on?

EDIT: Someone asked for genres and budget so...

I play a wide range of stuff, some days I feel like playing Parkway drive, some days RHCP. It's a problem in terms of picking an amp, which is why I'm asking really. I want something that can be as versatile as possible. As a result I realise I'm probably going to have to sacrifice at one end or another, but I don't need perfection on both ends of the scale.

My budget if I sold this TT would be around £250 and I dont mind used as long as it's good.
If I was buying a pedal and keeping the amp, I think £70 would be reasonable?

Thanks
Gear
ESP LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black - Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive w/ Sabian Cymbals
Last edited by imaan988 at Aug 19, 2011,
Get a Tube Screamer type pedal.

Will help tighten it up a bit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Done
Gear

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, BidsGet.com
Gear