Hello UG,

about a month ago I bought an orange th30 head with the ppc 410 speakers.
Worked like a charm, yet today I was playing it (let it warm up for 5-10 minutes), and I had to go eat, so I put it on stand-by for about a minute and then turned it off, and a minute later I pulled out the plug (I always do that).

I got back after dinner, put the plug back in, made sure all the cables were plugged in fine (always do that), let it warm up again, turned it on, and it made this very loud buzzing noise.

I tried replacing the guitar cable, putting it on 7-watt setting, even tried it by not plugging in my guitar, yet it keeps making this loud buzzing noise.

What is the problem?
Help, 'cause I'm really worried.

Thanks,
Bauwke.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Odds are it isn't the amp, especially if you are taking care of it like you described. It sounds like a grounding problem, either in the guitar or in the wiring in your house. Something in your house that isn't normally on while you play might have been on this time. Things like fluorescent lights can cause huge problems with single coil pickups.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Very very weird,
the plug was put into one of those 1 to 4 way plugs, so I put the plug directly into the socket, still the same problem, put the 1 to 4 way plug in again, and my dad pushed the plug in really tight, shaking it, and then it worked, is this because there is a problem with the power cord? (Sorry if the english is bad, my electricity vocabulary ain't all that)

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
It's most likely not the power cord to the amp but the wall socket you are plugged into. That buzzing you are hearing is called 60 cycle hum, it's caused by having a poor grounding circuit, which is the 3rd bottom prong you see on the power cord. Try another outlet and see what happens.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
If it did it once and has since stopped I wouldn't worry about it. Some sort of noise coming from that socket I would think. If it does it again immediately change to a different room (different fuse on your breaker not just different outlet) and try it just to rule out the amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Check your tubes and then we can help more. +1 on PatheticMedic
edit: Have you tried changing the power cord? Sometimes a power cord (not the interval, the thing that delivers power!) can suddenly become "dirty", but def check the fuses.
Last edited by y2k11hmmm? at Aug 19, 2011,
All of the tubes were lighting up, I don't have a spare power cord around here somewhere, I guess I'll call my local guitar shop and ask for one?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Some other appliances have them, just check both ends of the cable and try to find one that matches up. If you can't, then go to a music store and buy one (make sure they have an acceptable return policy so you don't lose money on something that doesn't solve anything). Good luck on finding a fix!
Well, the hum is gone, after my dad pushed in the plug real hard and shaked it a lot, so I guess I'll look around the house for one of those cables and try replacing it, Should I not pull out the plug everytime after I stop playing?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I pull the plug everytime in case of power surges... I'm pretty sure I'm being paranoid about nothing though. Its funny I'll leave my $1,000 computer, $1,000 TV, $400 Xbox, etc. plugged in all the time, but refuse to leave my $300 amp plugged in unless I'm using it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I pull the plug everytime in case of power surges... I'm pretty sure I'm being paranoid about nothing though. Its funny I'll leave my $1,000 computer, $1,000 TV, $400 Xbox, etc. plugged in all the time, but refuse to leave my $300 amp plugged in unless I'm using it.

I do the exact same thing, apparently it can damage your power cord or something, I hope I don't get problems like that anymore, I freaked out when all that came out of my amp was 'HUMMMMMMMMM'

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
As I said above, if it does it again immediately move your whole set up to a whole different section of the house. If it still does it its something with the amp, if it stops its something with that outlet.

As for unplugging it, it can't damage the cord unless you pull by the cord each time. The only way it could hurt it would be the physical stress of plugging/unplugging each time which unless you whip it out of the wall like Indiana Jones isn't a concern.

When the big solar flare hits and the entire worlds electrical grid goes down my amp is still gonna work. Now if I could just get this potato to power it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
As I said above, if it does it again immediately move your whole set up to a whole different section of the house. If it still does it its something with the amp, if it stops its something with that outlet.

As for unplugging it, it can't damage the cord unless you pull by the cord each time. The only way it could hurt it would be the physical stress of plugging/unplugging each time which unless you whip it out of the wall like Indiana Jones isn't a concern.

When the big solar flare hits and the entire worlds electrical grid goes down my amp is still gonna work. Now if I could just get this potato to power it.

Gonna try that when I have the problem again, still gonna buy my local music shop, you never know

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
unplugging a power cable a lot can damage the connectors or the wire itself. Especially if you have a habit of yanking them out of the wall like I do. Now if I'm going to be gone for awhile (3+ days) then I unplug everything. Otherwise, I just turn the switch off on the surge protect.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
unplugging a power cable a lot can damage the connectors or the wire itself. Especially if you have a habit of yanking them out of the wall like I do. Now if I'm going to be gone for awhile (3+ days) then I unplug everything. Otherwise, I just turn the switch off on the surge protect.

So should I invest in one of those 1 to 4 way sockets with a knob to turn them on and off and just leave the plug in?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Bauwke
So should I invest in one of those 1 to 4 way sockets with a knob to turn them on and off and just leave the plug in?

No. Those are gay. Get a 8 way strip. Man up. $22

to tubetime's point these adapters will not protect you from a real strong spike. So he unplugs. Safest solution.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
No. Those are gay. Get a 8 way strip. Man up. $22

to tubetime's point these adapters will not protect you from a real strong spike. So he unplugs. Safest solution.

Why the hell are those gay?
Well, still, we've got insurance so if it's destroyed, they'll pay me and I'll buy a new one, so...

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
^ strips are better

real power conditioners are even better ($100 ish)

insurance is great but it is still a hassle and you'll have to wait for a new amp if the replacement claim is approved. Not to mention your rates could go up.
Sorry to bump this thread again, but my amp just did the exact same thing, while I was playing, nobody in the house turned anything on, I was playing , all of a sudden it made that hellish loud noise again, what to do, what to do.

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Are you sure it was the power cable? Could it have simply been that you bumped the amp?
Try removing the valves and plugging them back in again. Spray a bit of contact cleaner on the pins if you have any. They will rattle loose sometimes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Are you sure it was the power cable? Could it have simply been that you bumped the amp?
Try removing the valves and plugging them back in again. Spray a bit of contact cleaner on the pins if you have any. They will rattle loose sometimes.

The sound is gone again, now that I unplugged everything and plugged it back in, I did not bump the amp or anything, I was sitting on a chair with 3 meters of cable lying on the ground so I didn't
accidentally unplug is or something

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by tubetime86
different fuse on your breaker

Huh?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Another bump;

I had my uncle test the grounding (he's an electrician, so I guess he's right), and he said it's perfectly fine, so there has to be an other issue.
I still have the issue every now and then, but I've noticed that when I have to problem, turn everything off, plug my amp into another wall-socket, it works again.

Any ideas?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Next time don't change sockets, just turn the amp off for a 5 minutes and then turn it back on again. I'm starting to suspect filter caps in the power supply.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Next time don't change sockets, just turn the amp off for a 5 minutes and then turn it back on again. I'm starting to suspect filter caps in the power supply.

Well it normally goes away after about 5-10 minutes, but changing sockets seems to speed up the process.
Could voltage spikes/drops be the problem?
Because every now and then the lights in our house shine a little less bright for about 3 seconds, but afterwards they're fine.

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Not really. If it was my amp I'd replace the filter caps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911
Huh?

Don't use those terms over there?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Bauwke

Because every now and then the lights in our house shine a little less bright for about 3 seconds, but afterwards they're fine.

Doesn't that tell you something?

Did your uncle check the house power or just the amp?

It is as if you are having 'Brown Outs' in your home.

Maybe you should use it to your advantage and record some brown tone
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Doesn't that tell you something?

Did you uncle check the house power or just the amp?

It as if you are having 'Brown Outs' on your home.

Maybe you should use it to your advantage and record some brown tone

Isn't it normal to have voltage drops every now and then?

He replaced one of these, because our boiler didn't work anymore, but after replacing it worked again.

Is having 'brown outs' bad?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
not sure

not the expert

brown outs can be bad I suppose as it puts a strain on the amps transformers

just ask Eddie Van Halen (he used a variac supposedly to lower the voltage of his amps to get that 'Brown Sound'

if those breakers were replaced and your problem went away you are good no?
I had problems with amps that had similar symptoms and the pots/jacks on the front panel needed reflowing on the solder pads. Another amp had the same problem and the cap on the high voltage fuse wasn't locked.
Quote by fly135
I had problems with amps that had similar symptoms and the pots/jacks on the front panel needed reflowing on the solder pads. Another amp had the same problem and the cap on the high voltage fuse wasn't locked.

I guess I'll have to get it checked out at the store.
Another piece of gear gone for a few days.

EDIT: I don't have that problem in other places though...

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
UPDATE:
I sent my amp back to the store, got it back now, they replaced a transformer and all of the tubes, for free, and it works like a charm now.
Just wanted to let you guys know

However, there's something I'm concerned about (I've gotten quite paranoid about amps), when I turn on the amp, one tube lights up very bright, and then the light fades quickly, could this be a problem?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
power tubes should be fairly evenly lit imo

one real bright and one fading off is not good

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I don't know if it's a power tube or a pre-amp tube, it's the far left tube:
(Invalid img)
It's just that one that sort of flashes when I put the amp in standy, and then the light quickly fades away...

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
So your amp has 4 - EL84 power tubes and 4 - ECC83 preamp tubes? The preamp tubes are the ones inside those aluminum cylinders. The 5th one is for the FX loop. The power tubes are the ones closest at front in the pic you posted.

It may be normal hard to say. You said one of the power tubes was real bright. How bright? Maybe Cathbard will see this again and be able to offer more. I think they should be fairly even but I've noticed in every amp I've owned one power tube is a bit brighter than the others. Unless it is super bright red - I'm sure you'll be fine.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 1, 2011,
If the way a tube lights up changes then it's a pretty safe bet that it's gone faulty. Two tubes of the same type can look different from the factory but they shouldn't change.
You should have spares any way so just buy a pair and try it. What have you got to lose? If they are ok you have spares - which you should have anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification