Poll: Should some people be prevented from having children?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should some people be prevented from having children?
Yes
119 68%
No
56 32%
Voters: 175.
Page 1 of 9
At work today was a mother and daughter. I heard them before I saw them, screaming at one another and generally causing a commotion.

When I wandered past I saw the mother was clearly mentally handicapped (probably physically as well) and was acting the same age as her 2 year old daughter (who, to be fair, was a nightmare). They were both rolling around on the floor, screaming at one another over an item of clothing and were a bit of a state.

I asked if they needed help (was going to offer the intervention of social services, but decided that that was probably a poor idea) and got screamed at, so I just left them to it.

Basically, this woman evidently wasn't the most suitable person for the role of a mother; she could barely look after herself. But should some people be legally prevented from having children?

I was toying with the idea and ultimately decided against it. Primarily for the reason that, if you asked the kid whether she would rather be alive now or to have never been born, she would most likely choose the former! Also, it seemed a bit dictatorial and complicated to instigate guidelines on whether you are deemed "suitable" enough to be a parent.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting discussion topic, with valid points on either side, so wondered what the Pit thought.
It strays into all that eugenics stuff, which is creepy, therefore I lean against it.

But dumbasses do need to quit getting pregnant.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by fender_696
I was toying with the idea and ultimately decided against it. Primarily for the reason that, if you asked the kid whether she would rather be alive now or to have never been born, she would most likely choose the former!

Stupid argument is stupid. That could easily apply to abortion, and it's just as dumb in that circumstance as it is in this one.

Also, it seemed a bit dictatorial and complicated to instigate guidelines on whether you are deemed "suitable" enough to be a parent.

We do that all the time.
Check out my band Disturbed
I dunno. I always thought that there should be a screening process to determine whether or not people should be allowed to procreate, but then it felt too Hitlery for my tastes so I scrapped the idea. I don't see a feasible non-invasive solution to it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

This happens all the time every time we take a child from a mother or father that we deem cannot take care of that child. It's not that much different saying that a person should not give birth to a child. However, unless you bring castration in, this is impossible.

I work in a criminal law firm atm and some of the cases that come through are horrific, we also have family department and they see a lot of terrible cases too. I actually think that in the majority of cases the state is too slow to take a child away from their parents and when they finally do, it's too late and the damage has been done.
Logically, I always feel like it's probably for the best, but you can't deny someone one of the most basic purposes of life.
i think that you should at least be able to support yourself financially before makeing another person

also people with serious mental disabilities shouldnt have kids...they cant take care of their kids and anyone who has sex with them clearly isnt in the right state of mind...
Last edited by supersac at Aug 19, 2011,
I think u shuld have to be clean (off drugs) and atleast have a highschool education and be a certain age to get pregnant, but thats just me
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
All I read was the title but a definite yes. Screw human rights and all that noise. Some people should be sterilized for the good of mankind.

Edit*

Let me explain a bit since I'm bored. There are people who milk the system here in the states. You get welfare and foodstamps etc based on how many children you have(among other things). A single mom should not be allowed to have 6 children with 6 different guys. I say tie that hoes tubes before she pops out anymore kids. My wife works at a school and the lunch lady has 11 kids! No bullshit. Not only do the parents not try but the children usually end up neglected and thinking that its ok to live off welfare therefore becoming a strain on the system themselves.

*Disclaimer. I know some people really need the extra help for whatever reason. My opinions are based just on those who take advantage of the social programs here in the USA.
Last edited by dopelope at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by blake1221
Logically, I always feel like it's probably for the best, but you can't deny someone one of the most basic purposes of life.

Exactly this for me.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by valennic
I dunno. I always thought that there should be a screening process to determine whether or not people should be allowed to procreate, but then it felt too Hitlery for my tastes so I scrapped the idea. I don't see a feasible non-invasive solution to it.

^This.

It's a great concept, but there really just isn't a way to plausibly achieve it.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
now there are more stupid people than smart ones cuz the stupid ones don't know how to use condoms
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I am of the opinion that people should have to go through some type of licensing process before they can procreate. There are too many people that straight up should not be trying to raise kids and some that shouldn't even be allowed near them, let alone bringing their own into this world.
Quote by bklinger83
I am of the opinion that people should have to go through some type of licensing process before they can procreate. There are too many people that straight up should not be trying to raise kids and some that shouldn't even be allowed near them, let alone bringing their own into this world.

What? So people who don't have that license aren't allowed to have sex?
We make people get licenses to drive, practice medicine, give tattoos, hunt, sell alcohol.

But Stewieswan, those things can drastically affect other people!

And parenting doesn't?
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
There's a program that basically pays crack heads to be sterilized. I've always liked that idea

Why? (Yes, I'm likely to be critical soon, but I am genuinely curious.)
Quote by genghisgandhi
You can pay them to surrender that right, though.

Well if the agree/want to forfeit the right, then by all means, let them.
Quote by StewieSwan
We make people get licenses to drive, practice medicine, give tattoos, hunt, sell alcohol.

But Stewieswan, those things can drastically affect other people!

And parenting doesn't?

the difference between all those things and parenting is that there's no plausible way to enforce a "parenting law".

a law that can't be enforced is entirely useless.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by genghisgandhi
All children aren't planned.

Poorly worded sentence is poorly worded.

Quote by Waterboy799
the difference between all those things and parenting is that there's no plausible way to enforce a "parenting law".

a law that can't be enforced is entirely useless.

I know, but I think we need to do something about it. Perhaps mandatory parenting classes for new parents
Quote by bklinger83

The problem with this is that it would require everyone to be fixed before they hit puberty, and for the fixing to be completely reversible once an individual was licensed.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Absolutely not. That is a fundamental trampling of reproductive rights and, as has already been said, clear-cut eugenics. It's pretty horrifying to even think about. Although I guess if we want to create a master race, we should stop people we deem "not worthy" from having children.
Quote by genghisgandhi
All children aren't planned.

And there's no realistic way to enforce it. Just saying. I want to slap the shit out of some people for the way they raise their kids, my own sister included. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have them. This is all hypothetical anyway and it's my opinion.
Quote by OliOsbourne
now there are more stupid people than smart ones cuz the stupid ones don't know how to use condoms

off topic...but number four on yur sig...
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
I think that the following groups of people should not be allowed to have and raise children:

1. Mentally handicapped of any kind. Doesn't matter if they were born with it or not.

2. Physically handicapped which are group of the following:
- blind
- deaf
- Anything that keeps them in a wheelchair BUT ONLY if they were born with this disease.

Exception: People who are born with a "wheelchair-bounding"-disease should be able to adopt kids.

I don't have anything personal against the groups mentioned above, but I don't think that they are able to raise children properly.
And getting kids even though you have a genetic disease is considered a crime by me.

Besides from that, there are also a lot of other reasons to not be allowed to have kids.
I consider myself to be a smart and rational guy, but I still think I'm not able and worthy enough to raise a child properly, even if I wanted to.

There are already too many people on this planet.

But when it comes to "How do we prevent the above mentioned people from getting kids?", I don't have an (ethically correct) answer.
Quote by due 07
Absolutely not. That is a fundamental trampling of reproductive rights and, as has already been said, clear-cut eugenics. It's pretty horrifying to even think about. Although I guess if we want to create a master race, we should stop people we deem "not worthy" from having children.

I don't like the idea of forcibly sterilizing people that much. I do think that standards for parenting need to be raised for the child's sake. Education and prevention are the only non-oppressive ways of doing this I can come up with. More parenting classes in schools, real life experience with raising children (volunteering in day cares, nurseries, babysitting), etc.

edit: ^ What.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by MakinLattes
I don't like the idea of forcibly sterilizing people that much. I do think that standards for parenting need to be raised for the child's sake. Education and prevention are the only non-oppressive ways of doing this I can come up with. More parenting classes in schools, real life experience with raising children (volunteering in day cares, nurseries, babysitting), etc.

Besides the fact that I don't like the idea of forcibly sterilizing people at all - it's abhorrent at best - I agree with the rest of what you said.
Quote by G.Krizzel
I think that the following groups of people should not be allowed to have and raise children:

Quote by G.Krizzel
1. Mentally handicapped of any kind. Doesn't matter if they were born with it or not.

So you want to take away all reproductive rights because of genetics? That's fascism to the highest degree. One of my friend's parents is aspie; should she not have been allowed to have my friend?
Quote by G.Krizzel
2. Physically handicapped which are group of the following:
- blind
- deaf
- Anything that keeps that keeps them in a wheelchair BUT ONLY if they were born with this disease.

My best friend has two deaf parents, one of which is legally blind. He also happens to have a rather high IQ, he's a fantastic drummer, and he's not a fuckwit eugenicist like you.
Quote by G.Krizzel
I don't have anything personal against the groups mentioned above, but I don't think that they are able to raise children properly.

So you do have something personal against them. You are a god damn idiot if you think blind/deaf/mentally handicapped people can't raise children properly. Have you ever met a blind or deaf parent?
Quote by G.Krizzel
And getting kids even though you have a genetic disease is considered a crime by me.

And this is why we don't go asking any old cretin on what should be law.
Quote by G.Krizzel
There are already too many people on this planet.

No there aren't. There's a crisis with concerning allocation of resources, but we aren't even close to our "limit" here.
Last edited by due 07 at Aug 19, 2011,
I like the idea in theory, but you can't deny someone the right to have a child. Some people aren't suitable parents, but that's where child services comes in. Everyone needs to have the chance to raise a child properly. If they blow that chance, that's their fault and the privilege will be taken from them. The current system isn't broken, so why fix it?

No matter what is put into place, there will always be bad parents attempting to raise children.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Aug 19, 2011,
Ask her daughter if she'd rather be dead than having that woman as her mother, you'd have the answer to this fcking poll.

This could easily be eugenics.
It's practically advocating social Darwinism to force the neutering of people deemed ''not suitable'' for procreation.

It's pretty much the first step to a 'master race'.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by bklinger83
But, how would you go about deciding?

I mean, would YOU be allowed, Mr Holier-than-thou (not saying you are, just for the sake of the argument)?