Can I run a cable from my guitar to my vox valvetronix ss amp, and then run a cable from the headphone jack of the valvetronix into the input of a tube combo amp without damaging anything? I just want to use the valvetronix for effects if possible, but have the sound come from my tube amp.
Yes, you can. Turn the Vox down all the way first and increase the volume extremely slowly though because the headphone out has the potential to send way too much signal to the tube amp. I'm not sure it would hurt anything if it did, but it wouldn't sound good either so why risk it.

That said I don't think this is a very good idea in general.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Don't do it, it won't sound good and the output from the headphone jack will be too high of an input for the tube.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Thanks for the input. I figured it would probably sound bad and possibly damage it. My orange amp has no effects so I thought I might try it while I wait for my delay pedal to arrive.
Quote by spacecadetgloww
Can I run a cable from my guitar to my vox valvetronix ss amp, and then run a cable from the headphone jack of the valvetronix into the input of a tube combo amp without damaging anything? I just want to use the valvetronix for effects if possible, but have the sound come from my tube amp.

the headphone out on your valvetrronix will be a line level signal a guitar amp expects a passive signal from the guitar but it isn't a huge deal but it'll sound different. it is also 1/8" stereo output, meaning you'd probably want a 1/8" balanced to 1/4" unbalanced adapter. the headphone out may also have some kinda cab emulation so that it 'sounds better', and this may also mess with the tone.

i would personally prefer to plug the headphone out of the vox into a effects loop receive of the orange instead of plugging it into the front of the amp. i am unsure if your orange has this option though.

i don't think this would sound good, but i can't really find a reason why it would hurt the orange.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by buid
ICWATUDIDTHAR.

But no seriously, why take the risk??

what did he do?

and what risk?

-ae
Input...

There is some risk isn't there gumbi? A headphone out can surely go above line level, right? A preamp is designed for a passive signal, and while they accept line level, wouldn't much more potentially cause problems?

I'm sure in practice its fine within reason, but in theory an extreme case could cause damage, I would think.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
There is some risk isn't there gumbi? A headphone out can surely go above line level, right? A preamp is designed for a passive signal, and while they accept line level, wouldn't much more potentially cause problems?

hey, i'll be asking the questions socrates .

but yes, headphone outs can go into what they call 'high level', a guitar preamp is designed for a passive signal, but as far as i know the only potential for problem is...

dunno, that's why i asked the question "what risk?"

Quote by tubetime86
I'm sure in practice its fine within reason, but in theory an extreme case could cause damage, I would think.

but why? it's seems like we have been getting intuitive answers, and many times intuition doesn't actually reflect the real world. this could be a case where you are right "it could cause problems" but i don't know how.

the closest thing i can come up with is some kinda impedance mismatch, or running too much current or too high of a voltage into the orange. as far as the vox, the impedance mismatch may be a problem, and if you don't run a correct converter half of the signal will be going to nothing. but still i don't see anything that would blow the amp up.

i have been known to be wrong... a lot... but call me interested. does anybody know if you could blow the first gain stage of your guitar preamp running a headphone signal to it? i can't see a way, but then i am not an engineer either.

i never said it would be ideal or even sound good, i just can't find a reason it would blow things up.

edit: i did mention i would prefer to run it into an effects receive ideally, bypass the preamp altogether, but i know that is not what you were talking about.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 19, 2011,
i used to use the headphone out on this old rocktown amp i had from jc penny's into the input of a gibson saturn amp it worked i wouldn't say it was the best sounding but it did work till i got a distortion pedal i would just get some effect to use with your orange it would sound much better>
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I looked into this just after I got my amp and in that case it was ok, but
a) it depends on the individual amp
b) it sounded shitter than shit.

a) did anyone mention what could go wrong?
b) yeah, i bet it did.

-ae
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
lol

gotta lighten it up, else it becomes all serious and feeling get hurt.

-ae
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I looked into this just after I got my amp and in that case it was ok, but
a) it depends on the individual amp
b) it sounded shitter than shit.

haha good to know thanks
Look for a useable MFX pedal on Ebay or Craigslist instead. There are hundreds of them going cheap every day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification