I have an Ibanez RG2EX1 and I'm planning on changing the pickups to active EMG's (81/85) I have tried this guitar on many different amps and the pickups are way too...muddy? I think that word will work for the description lol.

anyway, I've read some things about ...I think... " not connecting the ground wire", or something like that, when replacing passives with actives or just installing actives period. I'm looking at a wiring diagram and it looks like there is a ground wire coming from or going to the pickup selecting switch. Is that the one I have to worry about?

thanks for any help on this

oh yeah and , I'm not sure if this would go here, but if anyone could tell me how much I should sell the passives from the Ibanez for. ( they are IBZ V7 and IBZ V8) if not I'll just make another thread wherever that question would belong haha.
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
there are loads of ground wires when it comes to actives. This is the way i do it:

Ground wire (red from battery) to the correct lug on the stereo output jack, solder and then seal together all remaining red wires.

Make sure you ground the pup switch by grounding it to a volume/tone pot
as for the ibanez v8/v7 go on ebay and see what they are being sold for, in the UK you would get more than £10 ($18) for each pup
Quote by gman128
there are loads of ground wires when it comes to actives. This is the way i do it:

Ground wire (red from battery) to the correct lug on the stereo output jack, solder and then seal together all remaining red wires.

Make sure you ground the pup switch by grounding it to a volume/tone pot

so the pickup switch doesnt go to the umm...what do you call that thing that all the wires come from?
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
when you buy the EMG's, it will come with a detailed wiring diagram that u can also find on their website. along with new wiring and pots
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Honestly, if you aren't sure I'd seriously recommend just taking it to a tech and paying him/her $30 to do it for you...

u wish it was $30 to rewire from passive to active. cost me $70 but can be priced anywhere from $50 and above. yea i know i got ripped but techs love to take advantage of word play to charge u more. do it urself. or find someone that can solder
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Honestly, if you aren't sure I'd seriously recommend just taking it to a tech and paying him/her $30 to do it for you...

Yeah, or TS could learn how to do this very simple task, and then have $30 for food, accessories, a movie, maybe funds to go out and do something fun...

TS: EMG's don't require a ground wire at all. You'll need 25K pots, stereo output jack, a new cap and space for the battery. Buy at least one of the pickups new, because they will come with all of the components you need, as well as instructions. And you'll get the new awesome solderless system. One of the best advancements in pickups ever, IMO. It's really sweet.

You'll also need a soldering iron/ some solder, which should run you about $20 (which you can get with the money you save by not having a tech do it!) A roll of solder should last anywhere between 5-10 complete guitar soldering jobs, and they only cost like $3-5 a roll.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 19, 2011,
ok then, thanks for the answers ... i have a soldering iron and some solder already...i think ill get my dad to do the soldering part though lol.
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, or TS could learn how to do this very simple task, and then have $30 for food, accessories, a movie, maybe funds to go out and do something fun...

TS: EMG's don't require a ground wire at all. You'll need 25K pots, stereo output jack, a new cap and space for the battery. Buy at least one of the pickups new, because they will come with all of the components you need, as well as instructions. And you'll get the new awesome solderless system. One of the best advancements in pickups ever, IMO. It's really sweet.

You'll also need a soldering iron/ some solder, which should run you about $20 (which you can get with the money you save by not having a tech do it!) A roll of solder should last anywhere between 5-10 complete guitar soldering jobs, and they only cost like $3-5 a roll.

Right on the money!
Quote by Oblivoath666
ok then, thanks for the answers ... i have a soldering iron and some solder already...i think ill get my dad to do the soldering part though lol.

Cool. I probably shouldn't be so condescending, working on the electronics in your gear isn't for everyone I guess, but I just personally feel it's one of those things you should know, as a guitarist. Kind of like changing your strings, or setting up your guitar (adjusting intonation, adjusting truss rod, etc etc). Obviously there are a ton of people who would rather just pay someone than learn how, which is fine, but... why not be comfortable with doing it yourself? I know personally, I chose to learn how to do everything myself, because I saw how much money I could be saving after I got my first setup done in a store, and didn't want to spend that much again for something that looked like such a simple procedure.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
just some food for thought, i would think twice before selling the origional pickups.

that way if you decide you want to get a different guitar and ditch the ibby, you can pull the EMG's out, throw the ibby pickups back in and sell it as more or less stock, and still have a set of EMG's.

but if you sold the pickups that were in there, you would have little to no rembursment recouped for the cost of the EMG's and would have had an extra $20 at a previous time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Did you already buy your pickups? If not, i would suggest thae zakk wylde 81/85 pickups. The reason being they come with all the pots and circuit boards and all solderless.

I bought these and installed them on my esp, there great pickups and they come with everything you need, all the wires pots circuut boards and easy to read big colorful drawings to folow a solderless install. they run about 190 though.

Im not familiar with ibanez at all but i do know when you switch to active pickups you have to add the battery and circuit board in there, as well as the rated pots. All that may add up to more than buying a kit.