Hey guys.

Since moving to the beach I've noticed that my electric strings are rusting up way too fast, but my acoustics are fine (because theyre coated). While Id rather keep my slinkys, it may be time to try out electric elixir strings.

So the question here is, why do so many people dislike elixir electric strings? Anyone here like them?
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
I don't like elixers much, but I've heard good things about the coated cleartone strings.
They're good strings. Some people don't like coated strings, though. You could always try stainless steel strings if you are worried about corrosion.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
They're good strings. Some people don't like coated strings, though. You could always try stainless steel strings if you are worried about corrosion.

But then he has to worry about fret corrosion

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It might just be me, but I think that I lost quite a lot of treble with the elixir strings. They've kept themselves alive and well a long time, though I've never had the problem of corroding strings either.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I'm not a fan of Elixirs, mainly because they're ridiculously slippery.

Why not just get coated Slinkies?
http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-3121-Titanium-Electric/dp/B001IPNPOO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313782127&sr=8-2
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
It's just matter of preference really. I've tried lots of different strings and brands and I really like elixirs and got them on both my guitars atm. Although it's quite a pain to get them here, since there isn't one shop in the whole country to sell elixirs, US shops don't ship them internationally and european prices are ridiculous.
Quote by Strat007

That's true, they do feel a bit more slippery than most strings.
I used to use D'addarios, but they would only last 2 weeks without losing tone. The 2 months of good tone i get out of elixers is definitely worth the slightly worse playability. Even thats not very noticeable.
Elixirs are great. They last a very, very long time as the coating stops any corrosion. The thing I like the most is that they are really slippery, so playing is so easy - I tried a guitar at a shop recently and the strings were old, and it was horrible! They may be expensive, but it makes up for it in the long run
cleartones are the best coated string i ever felt. that being said i hate coated strings.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Yeah it's all preference as has been said.

I *love* elixir strings. I put them on every axe I have. I find that they feel a little sterile when they're new, but once you've played them for 2 - 3 hours and worn them in they sound/feel absolutely amazing and they last for months. Every other strings I've tried sound great when they're new, but within a few days worth of playing I'm sick of them - they're getting too worn or whatever else.

My 2c.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
If you want Elixirs that aren't slippery, make sure you go for nanowebs. NOT polywebs. Nanoweb strings are brighter sounding and feel almost natural like a non-coated string, being that the coating is much thinner. They hold tone FOREVER. Good and bright, and they don't corrode that much at all. The non-wound strings on mine have corroded, but I've had them on for about 3 months and they just now started. Don't listen to the haters, man.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
So I went with ernie ball coated slinkys. They definitely don't shimmer like the non coated ones. I also came off off skinny top heavy bottom. Not saying I hate em but I definitely miss the old sound. Probably won't keep these after the next change.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by mlfarrell
So I went with ernie ball coated slinkys. They definitely don't shimmer like the non coated ones. I also came off off skinny top heavy bottom. Not saying I hate em but I definitely miss the old sound. Probably won't keep these after the next change.

I'm not a fan of Ernie Ball strings at all, but with strings you have to give it some time before making a judgment. Not only do the strings have to break in, but you have to adapt as well, and sometimes adapting to something new opens a door or two.
Quote by W4RP1G
I don't like elixers much, but I've heard good things about the coated cleartone strings.

I don't know where you heard that, but I found that they fair no better than EB's.

Get the Elixers, you get used to the slippery feel and you'll love them, I know I do.
Quote by Somekid94
I don't know where you heard that, but I found that they fair no better than EB's.

Get the Elixers, you get used to the slippery feel and you'll love them, I know I do.

Just for the record, I've never personally tried the coated Ernie balls, just the regular slinkies, and I've only heard good things about the coated cleartones(though I've never tried them). The reason I don't like EBs is that they don't seem to stay in tune well enough for heavy Floyd use. This is just my experience with them.
I like Elixirs because they're slippery so it's faster for me. The high-E string always breaks on me after 3 months of having them on but that's a sign that it's time to change the strings.
I love Elixir nanowebs. Probably just cause regular strings die on me after 2/3 days and I hate the feel of old strings. Weird though, Elixirs seem to last me 5/6 months. Only thing I don't like is the lack of choice with single strings.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by W4RP1G
I'm not a fan of Ernie Ball strings at all, but with strings you have to give it some time before making a judgment. Not only do the strings have to break in, but you have to adapt as well, and sometimes adapting to something new opens a door or two.

I guess I think to much like something who uses floating FR bridges

I'd rather give my stings a quick wipe with some mineral oil right after I put them on.

I tried coated strings once on my Jackson it was a disaster. All that coating (lubricant) caused slippage everywhere I didn't want it.

They lasted a whole 2 days before I went back put the same gauge and brand of strings that were on it before the can't keep this thing in tune disaster.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
If you're on a tight budget, you could try the GHS Boomers coated strings. I bought a coated set 10-52 gauge tuned to drop C# and they retained their brightness for 2 months...... even after that, they still felt smooth and slippery so that helped my playing a lot.
Quote by Strat007

Why not just get coated Slinkies?
http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-3121-Titanium-Electric/dp/B001IPNPOO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313782127&sr=8-2
I like the slipperiness of Elixirs, they're the only strings I've used for the past three years or so. Though I might try D'addarios soon. I just have to use coated strings because I'm allergic to nickel, to after playing for a long time my fingertips get really irritated and shit.

Also, the coated Slinkies feel gritty, to me at least.
Elixirs have a little more tension than regular strings. The coating also frayes on the lower strings. Normal strings just feel better. I put elixirs on the guitars I don't play much so I never have to change them.
I love Elixirs, but last time I changed strings, the shop didn't have them so I got DR's.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.