Hi!

As the title suggests I have really poor equipment for recording. I use an M-Audio Fast Track interface, the cheap one, not the Pro. I use it together with Guitar Rig 4 and I just miss the "power" in the guitar sound. I get all the crunchy sound and stuff, but it just sounds flat. Like there is no bass in it. After I've tried my old Peavey Vypyr 15W and compared it to the Guitar Rig sound I was surprised how much better that cheap amp sounded. I use both of them with the same headphone.

So my question is: Will I ever be able to reach the same power through the M-Audio Fast Track interface as in my amp? Is it worth to tweak around with the settings or it just won't happen?

Thanks!
Yeah you can. Just learn how to use impulses with your Guitar Rig 4 and look into free amp simulators as well. I prefer the sound of amp simulators over real amps when they are done correctly.

You will also find when your record full songs you don't need a ton of bass in the recording as the bass guitar will help fill out the overall sound.
I know what you mean but here are a couple of things to consider -

Even the smallest of amps usually has a 10" speaker or something equivalent, that moves a lot more air (and bass - the 'excitement' frequencies) than a set of pc speakers or headphones.

That air that the speaker in an amp moves is something that is currently un-emulated with impulse technology (the type of speaker emulation used in Guitar Rig and equivalent) - impules take a static characteristic response of a speaker - emphasis on static, it does not emulate speaker movement - obviously a variable characteristic - leading to somewhat stale sound (I can usually pick this up straight away even when its done well)

Haven't used it in a while but from referencing previous version of Guitar Rig - it sucks for high gain rock or metal tones (and with a name like MetalMullet I guess this is what you're shooting for) - do yourself a favour and research some free amp sims like Nick Crows 6505, there should be a few threads about that here - look em up you'll be doing yourself a favour - much improved high gain response over Guitar Rig.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Alright, thank you guys! I will definitely check out what those "impulses" are and some amp simulators. I prefered Guitar Rig only because you can download presets for it. I'm just too lazy to spend another year only on learning different amp models and stuff. I want to play guitar, not messing around with the sound. But I guess I will have to.
Yeah, Guitar Rig is definitely not good at all for high gain tones. Look at Nick Crow amp sims, and also look at TSE and LePou. Both make very good high gain amp sims.

EDIT: Also download Voxengo Boogex for impulse responses to put after the amp sims.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Last edited by GoIrish668 at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by MetalMullet
By the way, I use OSX. Do these programs have Mac-versions?

Most of the small developers don't port to Mac but LePou does - check out the Lecto - it's based on a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec I believe.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Also, before saying "Oh, my guitar parts don't have any low end", try recording a bass to it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp