Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations, say scientists

Page 1 of 3
It may not rank as the most compelling reason to curb greenhouse gases, but reducing our emissions might just save humanity from a pre-emptive alien attack, scientists claim.

Watching from afar, extraterrestrial beings might view changes in Earth's atmosphere as symptomatic of a civilisation growing out of control – and take drastic action to keep us from becoming a more serious threat, the researchers explain.

This highly speculative scenario is one of several described by a Nasa-affiliated scientist and colleagues at Pennsylvania State University that, while considered unlikely, they say could play out were humans and alien life to make contact at some point in the future.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/aug/18/aliens-destroy-humanity-protect-civilisations?cat=science&type=article

Powerful stuff. Glad NASA are keeping busy these days
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Silly scientists, aliens don't exist.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Well, considering they have no money all they can really do is sit there and come up with hypothetical scenarios.
I don't blame them, they probably only get basic cable from such a long way away, which means just about all they see of us is Jerry Springer, Maury, and the evening news.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
i dont get why there is this idea that alien species are all some highly evolved life forms that arent just as 'i dont give a flying fuck' as humans and are all out to police and save the universe.

i doubt they give two shits about our greenhouse gas emissions if they even know we are here or if there is even anyone else out here.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
How on earth (lul) would we be a threat to some species thousands, if not millions, of lightyears away that has the ability to identify and destroy inhabited planets?
ugh YOU LIED SHYAMANALALAN!
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
say scientists

ಠ_ಠ

What type of scientists exactly?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
ಠ_ಠ

What type of scientists exactly?

expert scientists. duh
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Why does everyone assume that anything not from Earth MUST millenniums past Earth in intelligence?
All this says to me is:

Scientist: "If I were a uber hyper super mega awesome alien race, I'd totally tell the human race off for green house gases and overpopulation of their home planet"

NASA: "Oh yeah totally agreed. Lets have this published so people remember what we used to do and stuff and how we are still important to the world."
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Good, they need to wipe us out. I'll just be at my summer home on Mars, enjoying the fireworks from there.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by Soccerguy
Why does everyone assume that anything not from Earth MUST millenniums past Earth in intelligence?

Would they not have to be to detect us, without us detecting them? And nobody said they would be...they said IF they are.
Quote by Soccerguy

Well, they'd have to be more advanced than us in order to travel here.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by iwannabesedated
Well, considering they have no money all they can really do is sit there and come up with hypothetical scenarios.

I thought this was gonna link to the onion.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by SG_dave
Didn't they make a film about this with Keanu Reeves in it.
If I remember right, it was absolutely shit as well.

You're thinking of the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still, an awesome black-and-white movie. The remake wasn't very good
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ampoverload
What if this really happens?

I would lol.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by laid-to-waste
holy shit, amazing idea for a film plot alert?!

Yeah.

Anyone who knows anything about sci-fi knows this isn't really news.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
****ing Aliens, always trying to be the universe police.

Team Universe! Fuck yeah!

Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You couldn't lol

Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Dirge Humani
"If aliens ever visit Earth they might get scared and go home!"

There. I'm officially a NASA scientists. Can I have money now?

Not even real Nasa scientists get money these days.
Page 1 of 3