Hey UG,

I am moving into a college dorm for the first time next month and still want to play guitar and whatnot but don't much like headphones... would a pair of studio monitors do the job for playing? I want something in the $100-$150 price range (for a pair).

I looked into the Akai Professional RPM3 monitors and those seem good and compact to sit on a dorm room desk.. what do you all think?

The M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 also seem nice...

Thanks
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Last edited by DeadlyDevil1985 at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985
Hey UG,

I am moving into a college dorm for the first time next month and still want to play guitar and whatnot but don't much like headphones... would a pair of studio monitors do the job for playing? I want something in the $100-$150 price range (for a pair).

I looked into the Akai Professional RPM3 monitors and those seem good and compact to sit on a dorm room desk.. what do you all think?

The M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 also seem nice...

Thanks

hell yeah, they'll work like aspirin if you are using some kinda DSP/software modeling program. studio monitors will have the flat response those type of processors want.

i use amplitube and crappy computer speakers on the road.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yeah it's actually a fairly decent option. I was leaving my amps at our rehearsal spot for a few weeks and got into using Logic Pro and just some regular Logitech speakers+sub and it sounded pretty good. Obviously nothing like the real thing but definitely a solid option for your situation. And it could only sound better with a nice pair of studio monitors.

I haven't listened through either of those monitors you mentioned, but maybe go to your nearest Guitar Center and check out all the monitors they've got set up before buying.
I have the M-Audio Audiophile monitors. They arn't AMAZING monitors, but they are a nice set of monitors that double as speakers and have the routing options to use them with an audio interface + waveout sound so that you can play along with your VST stuff on your computer.

My entire rig sits in our practice space. At home I play acoustic or VST-plugins through the monitors and reaper. It works great. When I was in a dorm a I did the same thing. Its the best alternative to getting an amazing sound with very little volume.

The best part is if you want to record something its all setup and you just press CTRL + R..
/rig
^Depends, you probably have some from the old series, the DSMs OWN! I just replaced my KRK Rokit 5s with a pair of DSM3s and they absolutely slay. Dare I say, better than the Adam A7s and equivalent Dynaudios.

TS, if you can manage to find a pair of KRK Rokits for that price, they are probably the cheapest monitors you can buy that are actually worth the price. They will last you a long time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just looked into the KRK Rokits, those seem pretty nice. They go on ebay for around $170 for a pair so I might just watch that... I don't really have a problem buying used.

Edit: Turns out guitar center has them for $99 a speaker for factory restock... might just pick those up.. I have a $50 gift card.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!