Hey guys, I'm interested in learning some songs by Primus because Les Claypool is a legend but I'm not interested in listening to their entire discography because let's face it, they suck

What are some of the songs with the best basslines I can learn? Difficulty isn't an issue (no pretentiousness intended)
[Insert something clever here]
All those previously mentioned plus The Toys Go Winding Down, Jerry Was A Racecar Driver and DMV. The bass solo from Fish On is pretty cool too.
American Life is pretty easy if you don't mind flamenco strumming, and Jerry was a Race Car Driver is good for tapping.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Southbound Pachyderm.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Get a monkey mask and a whamola and play Les's solo that he does live.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Greet The Sacred Cow of course
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Holy crap, that awakening solo is incredible - looks like I'm going to have to brush up on slap :P especially to play all these songs.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll check out each song.
[Insert something clever here]
I love that solo, i made it my mission to learn it over this summer, ive just about got it
"toys go winding down" is probably my favorite to play. "southbound pachyderm" is a cool line.

obviously "DMV" and probably "ol diamondback sturgeon". "american life" is super memorable.
#DTWD
Lacquer Head, and John the Fisherman. To add to the list.
Apparently this is a signature

Yessir it is
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
Primus suck.

Learn the awakening solo by les claypool :')

I hate to nit pick, but that song was originally by the Reddings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QFv4nq9n9w

Dexter Redding is a seriously good funk player.
my name is mud is the most infectious line ever. southbound pachyderm is great. jerry was a racecar driver for tapping. and that one song about puppies
no sir away a papaya war is on
Too Many PUUUUUPPPPIEEEEEEES!!

I love that song. It was the first Primus song I learned to play and I drove the fams crazy for about a month playing it and singing like Les.
Quote by anarkee
I hate to nit pick, but that song was originally by the Reddings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QFv4nq9n9w

Dexter Redding is a seriously good funk player.

it was also originally played by two people iirc, and les's version is with one player
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Too Many Puppies is, in my opinion, the easiest Primus song to play. Golden Boy is simple, too, it's just that the chords are a pain on your fingers at first.

To Defy the Laws of Tradition is what I've been hooked on playing recently. The verse's perfect fourths gave me a hole in the side of my index finger, and my right arm was cramped from all the strumming.

Oh, and Spegetti Western. Easily the most fun for me.
the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn

Its already been mentioned... but...

DMV.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
spaghetti western!
Left handed bass player

1998 Fender Mexico Jazz Bass

2006 Warwick 5-string Rockbass
Quote by CJ Noble
it was also originally played by two people iirc, and les's version is with one player

Les' version also wasn't a Primus output--it appears on Highball with the Devil. As far as I know only Dexter and the drummer played on that cut.

Back on track.
With a nice fretless, "Mary was Ice Cube" is a fun tune as well