Do power conditioners have surge protectors built into them? What is a general price point they start getting good? I'm looking into this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gator-power-distribution but I know almost nothing about this stuff, so I don't know if it's good/bad, cheap/overpriced, etc. One thing I do know is that I do want one in this power strip format.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do power conditioners have surge protectors built into them? What is a general price point they start getting good? I'm looking into this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gator-power-distribution but I know almost nothing about this stuff, so I don't know if it's good/bad, cheap/overpriced, etc. One thing I do know is that I do want one in this power strip format.

jesus, as far as i can tell that is just a REALLY expensive power strip with a couple mounts on the side to throw in a rack mount. it has NO power conditioning and NO surge protection.

do you need to make it rack mount? if not then go to home depot and buy a power strip with at least surge protection for ~half the price.

btw, there really is no real meaning for 'power conditioner' it is kinda a generic term that doesn't mean too much (or maybe means too much). sometimes it means it regulates voltage, sometimes it means it provides a 'clean' or consistant AC signal, sometimes it means it isolates electrical outputs (or a variety of the previous 3), sometimes it is just thrown on products to make them seem better than they are.

what do you want the strip for and what do you want from the strip?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 19, 2011,
Well, I need something that will give me "clean" power, as there are some pretty terrible shithole venues around my area, and I live in a cheap apartment myself, so the power already isn't the best as it is. I've had some issues with it before. That's what I thought power conditioners did, but like I said, I know almost nothing about this. I don't need it for a rackmount, just for my amps, and pedalboard.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well, I need something that will give me "clean" power, as there are some pretty terrible shithole venues around my area, and I live in a cheap apartment myself, so the power already isn't the best as it is. I've had some issues with it before. That's what I thought power conditioners did, but like I said, I know almost nothing about this. I don't need it for a rackmount, just for my amps, and pedalboard.

hmm. don't mean to pick but 'clean power' can mean a few things. i'd at least get something with a surge protector to protect the equipment from spikes.

after that you can look into something like

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/furman-pst-6-power-station-series-ac-power-conditioner/430888000000000

that actually seems to have A/C noise attenuation (smooths out the A/C waveform) and claims to have separate noise filters for each outlet (this makes things you plug into it sound quiet with no/less noise). also has surge protection.

got the above info here

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=PST-6

god that is expensive as hell too though, but at least it has some surge protection and actually has something to clean the A/C signal a bit.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 19, 2011,
I own a Furman PL-Plus that's in my studio rack at home. That's really the cheapest unit I would buy. I can't really say I notice much of a difference through it on that gear, but when I've got $2k+ gear plugged into the wall, I wanted something I felt safe plugging power into. However, I've used it in my live rack with my G-Major and it tends to clean up the power and get rid of a lot of ground loop hiss in my amps
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 19, 2011,
Okay, so Furman is good... What is the difference between the one gumbi linked and this? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/furman-pst-26-power-station-series-ac-power-conditioner/430887000000000 They're identical specwise, but the cheaper one has 2 extra outlets.

And lastly, for someone like me, I have a few pedals, and a few amps (and really, I pretty exclusively use my Vypyr Tube now)... would something like that even be worth getting in the first place, vs. say a $10 surge protector? In your opinions of course.

Thank you guys.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Okay, so Furman is good... What is the difference between the one gumbi linked and this? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/furman-pst-26-power-station-series-ac-power-conditioner/430887000000000 They're identical specwise, but the cheaper one has 2 extra outlets.

specs check out to be the same except for dimension and number of outputs. the one i posted has a metal housing though, the one you posted looks to be a plastic housing. yours is a better deal.

Quote by Offworld92
And lastly, for someone like me, I have a few pedals, and a few amps (and really, I pretty exclusively use my Vypyr Tube now)... would something like that even be worth getting in the first place, vs. say a $10 surge protector? In your opinions of course.

i'd by it more the the isolated filtered input, keeps things quiet. i really don't know how the noise attenuation would manifest itself in tone quality. not necessary. i use a pedal power plus for my pedals and normal surge protectors for amps and everything else.

-ae
i have a big APC power conditioner/ surge protector/ battery backup that are commonly used for computers or big buck hifi systems.

i got it on black friday for $80 or so.

my amps got noticably quieter since i added that, and i have previously had power strips ever since i started accumulating gear.

also it is nice, if you register an APC unit (i am sure other brands do this as well), and it were to fail and your gear gets zapped, they insure it up to like $100,000 or something silly like that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just picked up a APC C2 power filter. It filters EMI and RFI and is built like a brick. It actually looks like a brick too. The part I like best is where it says in the manual that you don't need to unplug it in a lightning storm. That's F'N Awesome.

Only downside is it only has two plugs but it works out fine for me. I run one plug to the amp and one to the pedalboard.