ok so I like many love gibson explorers but I dont like the pickgaurd. I know it sounds stupid but I really don't. So heres my question what do you think of the idea of getting diamond plate sheet metal cutting it to fit the whole body (only the front accually) of the guitar and bolting it on? Will it effect the sound? Of course it would take alot of planing to cut out the puckups, vol/tone knobs, bridge ect. But what you think. Also a second question what if I just made a diamond plate pickgaurd the exact size as the one that comes with the guitar.
Brendan Small has a diamond plate pick guard on his gibson Explorer. I have to say it looks pretty sweet. Cannot say if the whole top would be a good idea though.

Made one for my warlock.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
I also forgot to mention that it will NOT be chrome either, I like the black diamond plate
Didn't LTD do an explorer type with a full diamond plate on it? I wanna say it was the Wayne Static sig. Still, I would just keep it to the pickguard and not the full body
Quote by shecter guy
Didn't LTD do an explorer type with a full diamond plate on it? I wanna say it was the Wayne Static sig. Still, I would just keep it to the pickguard and not the full body

I think his was a V, but I have seen those explorers with the full diamond plate. I think Hetfield's looks pretty awesome.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
They'res been a couple different ones i've seen

The V is the wayne static sig, there is also an EX one too in the same plate pattern and inlay

i think it looks sweet, at least the black metal and the style james has, full body or just a pick guard, and most hard ware stores like Home Depot or Lowes will have sheets of diamond plate to buy
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Be aware that diamond plate comes in various thicknesses. It might be worth the extra weight saved to shop around for the thinnest one available.

edit: I think it'd look rather fabulous with matte black Hammerite on top, especially when it starts to wear through. (but then on second thought Hammerite might not be the best for that- it's supposed to be really hard-wearing)
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Aug 21, 2011,