What I'm thinking of doing for a lightweight gig rig is getting a small 5w or so tube head to put in the effects chain of my solid state amp. Thus the chain would be guitar > amp > send to pedals > tube head > effects return. How much would this effect the sound of the amp? What are pros cons? What are the dangers?
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by Angusman60
What I'm thinking of doing for a lightweight gig rig is getting a small 5w or so tube head to put in the effects chain of my solid state amp.

why not just get a tube preamp? i guess a 5 watt tube amp is cheaper than a nice tube preamp.

Quote by Angusman60
Thus the chain would be guitar > amp > send to pedals > tube head > effects return.

there is a little smoke and mirrors going on there. how you getting the signal back out to the solid state amp? if your tube amp has an effects loop then you can do it that way, but you'd still need a 'load' on the output of the tube amp so it doesn't blow the OT.

you wouldn't be able to use the tube amp's power section cuz if you plugged the speaker out into the 'effect return' then you'd really hurt something. (there is a bunch of other things i didn't mention as well, but these are 2 strike against the idea)

save yourself the time, money and effort. maybe look into a tube preamp
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
You'll still have to have a load on the tube amp, which means you'll have to bring an extra cab or buy/make a dummy load box.

It's definitely going to sound different though, and frankly I don't really see the point. You buy a 5W tube amp to get power saturation, what you want to do basically cuts that out of the equation... just buy a 5W amp and put a mic in front of it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I might be better off by passing everything in my combo and using it as a cab. Then, getting a higher power tube amp. Just going to cheapest cost, really.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Just get a multi fx and run it into the FX return on your SS amp or to the PA. Most of the 5 watt amps don't sound any better than a good distortion pedal anyway.