I hope this is the right place for this. i just picked up my guitar from guitar center after having it set-up for the first time since i bought it about a year ago. but a couple things just don't feel quite right...

1. the strings against the fretboard feel almost... scratchy. like the fretboard is dried out. before the set up it felt amazing and there was never any kind of friction or scratchy feel when bending or playing.

2. high notes almost sound doubled? i use an mxr full bore and a 10 band eq for my sound and I've messed around with it but something still seems very... off. when playing a high note (maybe 12th fret on the high e for example) the sounds almost double and the pitch doesn't hold very well, sounds like its going in and out of tune

3. though my action was lowered to a place where it feels great, my strings are now really loose... i used to use 10's for drop c but now they feel like wet spaghetti.

i will be going back in tomorrow to have it looked at but for now, is there something i can do or is this just the way it is going to be?
If you didn't have any of these problems before having the set up done, it does sound like they may have screwed it up.

When you took it in there to have the work done, did you tell them you play in drop C? If you didn't, the chances are they'd have done the setup assuming you use standard tuning and it's possible that's what is making the difference.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hi mate,

The notes double sounding are probably caused by the pickups being too close to the strings, but the neck "dryness" is very strange, the only times I've had that is on a cheap guitar, I don't think the setup caused it, unless maybe the guy spilt something on it, tried to clean it up and used something which dried it out.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Cal808 at Aug 19, 2011,
Just a little advice regarding guitar setups. If you're going to pay someone to do a setup instead of doing it yourself, take it to an expert guitar technician with his own business. Don't take it to the chump who works out of a national discount chain that's known for underpaying and mistreating employees. Great guitar technicians are also usually less expensive.
@ gary, i told him drop c and bought a pack of the strings i always use for it.

@ cal808, he did move the pups a bit and they seem pretty close to the strings... but after going back for a second look the "dryness" i thought i was feeling is actually coming from the metal part of the fret as well, but again, i've never had that issue before now.

@ jpnyc, guitar center is my best bet (i think) around here. my local guitar shop owner does set ups but, though he is a really great guy with good intentions, he isn't all that good when it comes to tech and setup stuff. i had him install a pup and it took 3 tries before it was just ok, so i had him take it out and i returned the guitar to him. the only other place i know of around me is a daddies but i haven't really looked around for a good tech so maybe i'll do some looking into it.
I'm going to respond to the three points you made about your guitar:

Quote by andrerist
1. the strings against the fretboard feel almost... scratchy. like the fretboard is dried out. before the set up it felt amazing and there was never any kind of friction or scratchy feel when bending or playing.

You might need a heavier gauge of strings. Try 11s or 12s.

Quote by andrerist
2. high notes almost sound doubled? i use an mxr full bore and a 10 band eq for my sound and I've messed around with it but something still seems very... off. when playing a high note (maybe 12th fret on the high e for example) the sounds almost double and the pitch doesn't hold very well, sounds like its going in and out of tune

You probably need a heavier gauge of strings. Try 11s or 12s.

Quote by andrerist
3. though my action was lowered to a place where it feels great, my strings are now really loose... i used to use 10's for drop c but now they feel like wet spaghetti.?

You definitely need a heavier gauge of strings. Try 11s or 12s.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Hi,

Try lowering the pickups a bit, it's easy, they probably only need to be lowered a couple of millimeters, just unscrew the little screws next to each pickup, (try and keep them in the same incline as they were) and as for the neck, try applying some Fast Fret, see if that makes a difference (it also cleans the fretboard, and makes it faster!).
i know i need to go to 11's but i keep 10's on it for now because i only have the one guitar at the moment and i need to go up to standard once or twice a week and the 11's are too tight for standard (in my opinion, i also have a 26.5" scale neck so its gonna have a bit more tension).

and @cal, i'll definitely try and pick up some of the fast fret, sounds like a good idea. I'm a little bit apprehensive to mess with my pickups because i don't want to mess something up and cause more issues. from the little that i know it is difficult to balance the output of the neck and bridge pup so i'll just leave it to a tech that knows a little more than me
Is there a tremolo? The springs might be looser, and that makes the strings feel more bendy,if not, try changing string brand, try GHS boomers, they're harder to bend and have a fatter tone.
It sounds like the 'tech' may have dressed your frets poorly if they're scratchy. Next time you have the strings off, you can tape up the board and buff the frets with '0000' steel wool. Or you can play the heck out of the guitar and that should also smooth the frets a bit.
BTW a description of the actual guitar would've been helpful.
Moving on.....
sorry guys, its a schecter c1 hell raiser. hard tail. and final question before i head in today, is it reasonable to ask for a full refund? the only thing that really needed to get fix was a truss rod adjustment but i figured i'd just have them go over everything, so theres no more bow in the neck but everything else is screwed up
Yes, you should definitely ask for a refund, he screwed up your guitar, it's supposed to sound better after a setup, not worse! Get your refund and head somewhere else!
threads like this are why every guitarist needs to learn how to set up their intrument(s) themselves.
Quote by andrerist
sorry guys, its a schecter c1 hell raiser. hard tail. and final question before i head in today, is it reasonable to ask for a full refund? the only thing that really needed to get fix was a truss rod adjustment but i figured i'd just have them go over everything, so theres no more bow in the neck but everything else is screwed up

The C1 Hellraiser has a 25.5 scale length, so get heavier string, and use a lighter touch because your strings shouldn't be touching the fretboard, you are pressing too hard.

This sounds like a good reason to do setups yourself. I'd get a refund if possible and read all about doings setups. It's not hard, it's basically 3 things: Truss rod, intonation, action. Cleaning the frets and oiling the fretboard is simple and anyone can do it with nothing more than common sense.
Quote by W4RP1G
The C1 Hellraiser has a 25.5 scale length, so get heavier string, and use a lighter touch because your strings shouldn't be touching the fretboard, you are pressing too hard.

This sounds like a good reason to do setups yourself. I'd get a refund if possible and read all about doings setups. It's not hard, it's basically 3 things: Truss rod, intonation, action. Cleaning the frets and oiling the fretboard is simple and anyone can do it with nothing more than common sense.

its the ex with a 26.5 inch scale. and the guy went over it again and basically said that it just needed a little bit of tweaking and that the fret buzz would have been ok because I'm a metal head? he claimed he wasn't so worried about the fret buzz because he assumed that i never play cleans. nonetheless he was nice enough about it and fixed it. but i think it may be time for me to find a new tech nonetheless
never take it back there again. talk to the manager, let him know what the guy said and the problems you encountered, invest in a good tuner (don't say that the boss is a good tuner), learn how to perform setups yourself.

and if you happen to take your guitar back to a shop to get it setup, tell them what strings you want, what tuning you preffer, and play the guitar before leaving the store, and have them fix the shit they did wrong (because they won't ever get it right to be honest)
Never trust someone from a big chain music store like Guitar Center or Long and Mcquade to setup your instrument, or even trust them to handle your instrument with care.

I did, unfortunately. I ended up with a guitar that was dirtier than when I left it, that buzzed regardless of how light I picked, and a dent on the fretboard, which looked like somebody dropped a screwdriver on it.

Anyways regarding the frets feeling "scratchy". Take some steel wool and rub the frets with it (make sure to tape off your fretboard first). It makes it feel a lot smoother on the bends.