For the HxC atmosphere, I could see people moshing to it. But in my humble opinion, that kind of music is incredibly pathetic. Don't get me wrong it once was all I listened to, but there is no real talent amongst those bands when considering composition.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
This might count as advertising. Youd be better posting it in the Original Recordings forum or the band promotion forum. And I didnt listen because I have Wes Montgomery on and whatever it is its unlikley to be as beautiful, or indeed well written, as what is currently coming out of my speakers.

edit: I was right btw.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
This might count as advertising. Youd be better posting it in the Original Recordings forum or the band promotion forum. And I didnt listen because I have Wes Montgomery on and whatever it is its unlikley to be as beautiful, or indeed well written, as what is currently coming out of my speakers.

edit: I was right btw.

you could've just kept those last two sentences in your head man...i swear people these days have no tact. anyway, i don't know if i can actually give my opinion here because i think most of the songs in this style are same-y, so i can't tell what makes one better than the other since, like the guy i quoted, i don't really dig any of it
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I apologise to the thread started and concede that there is artistic merit in any genre of music and that the technical and theoretical prowess of the performers/composers was evident from the part of the song I listened to. I like cool guitar riffs with weird rhythms like that one but cant stand the singing.
personally I think this sortof "music" is just a noise, the guitar riffs all sound the same and i dont see why the bands bother writing lyrics when its impossible to make any of them out, the singing is just plain unpleasant , i know its very popular nowadays but Ive never really understood why tbh
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Lol?

"Would you like some chorus with that breakdown?."
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
btw my point was that this guy only just joined this forum 15 hours ago and all 12 posts have been promoting his band. Fair enough in the right section but to make several threads in different forums might just get you *reported*
one of 1000 djent bands... you have done well copying periphery...
XD

but I guess they compose a little bit better....Work on the chorus melody...and
be more creative with the riffs....

basics of nu meshuggah trendy djent music fullfilled!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

You know, I thought this forum would offer a lot more intellectual statements rather then just the generic "Oh its this genre so i dont like it" and so on and so forth. I don't see how it's generic. Meshuggah isnt nearly the same style of music, and I was talking more about the composition of the guitars rather then the vocals, but I can make out every word of the lyrics. And instead of saying "the singer is bad" why not state whats wrong with the singer? I dont see any reason to think he did a bad job. This may be "advertising" but not once did I tell you to like a page or buy my music. So I dont see why it hurts. I don't see how ANY of the guitar riffs are the same. They all keep the same centralized theme, isn't that the point of well composed songs? If I could have it my way, I wouldn't put any breakdowns in the song, but we need crowd pleasers and it gets the crowd moving, and it also makes it a memorable part. But god, I've never seen so much non constructive criticism in my life, I don't see why every one has to hate on different styles of music, instead of just appreciating it for what it is. I don't like country, but I'm not going to say the style of music they write is awful because I don't like it, it still takes talent to compose none the less.

@hydra150, I really appreciate the fact that you show respect towards the music and take it for what it is rather then just trying to break it down and call it being "generic" or "just noise"
Last edited by Chapterstx at Aug 20, 2011,
No, I can definitely handle criticism, but I just think if you're going to criticize something, be constructive about it and tell me whats wrong, I mean if you dont like the type of music, no matter what you're not going to like it. I want to improve myself, not just read a bunch of comments pertaining to the same statement of "i dont like this so its bad"
Quote by Joshua1207
Looks like someone can't handle criticism.

Seriously? Not to sound harsh but a lot of these replies are terrible criticism. It's not his fault people give such dumb replies.

As for the song, the guitars and drums (or at least the bass drum) could be mixed louder. I think you knew this because you only asked criticism for the composition, but anyway.

You have some good djenty stuff there, but I reckon some of it could be more memorable. I would put some notes or chords that stand out there, maybe some minor second dyads or something. I like the part at 1:06 the most.

The drums kept the song perhaps a bit too steady. There could be some varying in tempo or anything like that. There's pretty much that same drum beat for the whole song.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Yea, the mix is really messed up. Our producer tried to master it with a new compression plug in he got, and he didn't really have much experience with it, so he just mixed it down and put compression on the whole thing, kind of derped lol.

And I agree with you, I'd like to make some parts more memorable, if you could hear the lead louder in the mix it's definitely way more impactful. Where do you think I should put in some chords? just curious.

And yea it keeps that constant flow, its just kind of how we wrote it, our other songs will definitely be more unexpected and more technical as well. This song was pretty rushed, we were just trying to get something to show people, but I want to improve it as much as possible.
Quote by Chapterstx
Yea, the mix is really messed up. Our producer tried to master it with a new compression plug in he got, and he didn't really have much experience with it, so he just mixed it down and put compression on the whole thing, kind of derped lol.

And I agree with you, I'd like to make some parts more memorable, if you could hear the lead louder in the mix it's definitely way more impactful. Where do you think I should put in some chords? just curious.

And yea it keeps that constant flow, its just kind of how we wrote it, our other songs will definitely be more unexpected and more technical as well. This song was pretty rushed, we were just trying to get something to show people, but I want to improve it as much as possible.

This is a bit like what I was trying to explain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jd6ORbKXHQ#t=02m56s

There's that one high note in that riff that's easy to cling to. It's catchy. You could also put two note chords (dyads) instead giving it some nice variety, up to you.

The guitars can get a bit monotonous if it's constantly in the low range. It might be more interesting if you hit more high notes occasionally. Harmonics could work.

There's really no golden recipe for a good riff, so you just have to come up with it yourself. You're already sounding good though, so just keep it up.

EDIT: at 1:45 in Electric Red there's a good example of dyads.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by Chapterstx
You know, I thought this forum would offer a lot more intellectual statements rather then just the generic "Oh its this genre so i dont like it" and so on and so forth. I don't see how it's generic. Meshuggah isnt nearly the same style of music, and I was talking more about the composition of the guitars rather then the vocals, but I can make out every word of the lyrics. And instead of saying "the singer is bad" why not state whats wrong with the singer? I dont see any reason to think he did a bad job. This may be "advertising" but not once did I tell you to like a page or buy my music. So I dont see why it hurts. I don't see how ANY of the guitar riffs are the same. They all keep the same centralized theme, isn't that the point of well composed songs? If I could have it my way, I wouldn't put any breakdowns in the song, but we need crowd pleasers and it gets the crowd moving, and it also makes it a memorable part. But god, I've never seen so much non constructive criticism in my life, I don't see why every one has to hate on different styles of music, instead of just appreciating it for what it is. I don't like country, but I'm not going to say the style of music they write is awful because I don't like it, it still takes talent to compose none the less.

@hydra150, I really appreciate the fact that you show respect towards the music and take it for what it is rather then just trying to break it down and call it being "generic" or "just noise"

This isn't the place to promote your band or your recordings, which is all this thread is for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What you just said made no sense. It was completely contradictory. Either way, stop posting off topic shit. I obviously didn't post this thread to promote.
Man, gotta love shit heads who just go on a forum to troll posts and do nothing of importance or contribute to the community in any way. You're real good at doing that josh.
@flibo yea I see what you mean, I really like the part at 3:36 I believe. I'll definitely try that out in the next song. The thing about this song is it really isnt my best work, it was mainly put together in one session, and the lead parts were improv at the studio, I kept the same scale that I knew I wanted to work with, so it turned out fairly good. I'll definitely post the second song for analyzing whenever its finished, I really appreciate the ideas though!
Moved to Original Recordings.

Dug it. Found the guitar tone a bit mushy, coulda done with a bigger bass sound. I didn't hear any specific killer riffs, but the vibe in general was heavy and groovy.
Yea all the mix is really ****ed up, the guitar tone at the studio sounded great, it just got muddled in the mastering process, were having our producer fix it but he's lazy. I wasn't present in tracking the bass and the completion and final mixing of the song, so there wasn't much I could do to change that outcome. Therw are 4 cool lead parts but theyre super drowned out

Edit: by the way can anyone hear any clicks on the snare hits in the beginning, its only every once in a while but its driving me crazy, I can't find out what it is.