Page 1 of 10
Antinatalism is a philosophical position that asserts a negative value judgment towards birth, standing in opposition to natalism. -Wikipedia

Basically, procreation is wrong.

I've heard a few points in favor of this stance, including

1. You do not choose to be born. You are brought into this world without ever have been asked. You're possibly brought into a lifetime of pain when this could've been avoided by you not having been born at all.
2. Not procreating prevents suffering. Obviously, no people = no human suffering.
3. Having children is an entirely selfish act.

"If the act of procreation were neither the outcome of a desire nor accompanied by feelings of pleasure, but a matter to be decided on the basis of purely rational considerations, is it likely the human race would still exist? Would each of us not rather have felt so much pity for the coming generation as to prefer to spare it the burden of existence, or at least not wish to take it upon himself to impose that burden upon it in cold blood?" - Schopenhauer

Here's a video explaining it as well.
http://youtu.be/SvZ9SldqdIE

Anyway, I think it's an interesting topic. Making babies, morally wrong? Discuss.

Further reading:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/81129826/Better-never-to-Have-been-the-harm-of-coming-into-Existence-oct
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Jan 12, 2013,
Stupid.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Oh God not again.

Dammit I forgot about that one thread. It's not the same thing, though.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
It's interesting, but I'm not really for or against procreation?

Also, if you are of this position, having kids means that your children could choose to have kids, too. It would up the suffering a whole lot with each generation.
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by kraftmacaroni
This is the reason no philosopher should be respected anymore.

You'd have to philosophize in order to back that up.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Quote by kraftmacaroni
This is the reason no philosopher should be respected anymore.

Philosophy is a bunch of made up fake science nonsense anyway.
ningen ningen ningen ningen ningen
Emil Cioran seems to have a few antinatalist tendencies.

"There was a time when time did not yet exist... The rejection of birth is nothing but the nostalgia for this time before time."

"I long to be free — desperately free. Free as the stillborn are free."

“No one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if there ever was one.”
🙈 🙉 🙊
So, Antinatalism is the scientific name for pandas?

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
so basically, instead of simply living, its morally correct for there to be nothing. at least nothing that can contemplate the moral ramifications of procreation.

im not sure i get it. or that it makes sense.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Dirge Humani
Philosophy is a bunch of made up fake science nonsense anyway.

Fuckin' social sciences.
Whatever, if those people don't want to be alive, they can kill themselves. More stuff for me.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Is this population control antinatalism, or end of species antinatalism?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
antinatalism implies that life itself should not exist in the universe. idiots.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by laid-to-waste
just say random obvious facts in a deep confident voice and you will automatically be a philosopher.

Dude. The treeees are greeeen. Man that shit's deep.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Greenday389

The way to obtain something from a store is to walk up to the keeper, look him in the eye and pay him.

how powerful is that shit?!
Quote by Greenday389

duuude, washing machines are like, machines. that, you know, wash CLOTHES man. duuuude.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by genghisgandhi
But what if what you perceive as green is what I perceive as blue?

Perception is what is known to be the way you perceive things. Without the concept of perception, the idea of perception would not be perceived.

My dick is ginormous.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Perception is what is known to be the way you perceive things. Without the concept of perception, the idea of perception would not be perceived.

My dick is ginormous.

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Major loophole:

no babies = no human race

/idealism
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

I don't even care. I'm already here, I don't plan on having kids, and I won't care if nobody else does after I die- since I'll be dead and all.

If you want to have so many babies you'll need to ship them off to the moon, that's coo' too.
I think there are too many humans in the world and, as a whole. we need to stop fucking so much. We're like viral rabbits. I'm personally choosing to never procreate, I see no need for yet another life on Earth when there are couples alone having enough babies for the rest of us.

But of course, that won't catch on so all we need is some kind of scaled apocalypse.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
If you adhere to this philosophy kill yourself. Or else live with the hypocrisy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by homeless-john
I'd like to say philisophy is a big scam of a science but I study psychology so....

Is this what happens when Monty Python is directed by M.C. Escher?
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
Bill Hicks basically believed this. Or claimed to.

Eh, I don't think it was this exact philosophy...but he believed in that the human population has exceeded the limit, per say. Like, we haven't mastered the basics of living (countries of people not having food, shelter or health; countless wars and battles; shaky economy etc) so we need to slow down the rate of people being born and first work out our own shit, so we can bring children into, basically, heaven on earth.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Jackal58
If you adhere to this philosophy kill yourself. Or else live with the hypocrisy.

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by CPDmusic
Major loophole:

no babies = no human race

/idealism

That's the idea.

Quote by Jackal58

Don't have children = don't live your own life?
Quote by Ian_the_fox