I am in the market for a new guitar and I don't know much about the various brands. There is no Guitar Center or Sam Ash around here so I will likely be buying online unless I luck up and find an amazing guitar in the tiny shops we have here(unlikely). What I am after is some honest feedback on the various brands.

This is not a "Which Brand is Best?" thread I know that this is subjective. I'm not asking for your favorite brand, I want some basic info is all. Like, are certain brands more suited to certain styles of music? Do some have thicker necks or thinner? Weird shaped ones? I hear Ibanez guitars have awful pickups if they are Ibby pickups. That's the kind of info need. A general consensus on various brands. There is loads of common knowledge on this forum on virtually every guitar brand but I don't know any of it!

Right now I am looking at maybe a Schecter but that's only because Synyster Gates is my current favorite player and he uses them, and I don't know enough about brands to know what I might like more. Sad I know but that's what I have you guys for, right! <3 So if you guys could just list maybe 5 or 10 brands whatever you feel like typing, followed by things I should know about them like an example(This info is made up of course):

Ibanez: Thin necks crappy pickups, more for Metal but ok for anything.
Kramer: Made by Choir Boys, then used to bludgeon them to death, thus imbuing it with a spirit of EVIL!
B.C. Rich: Kip Winger used them, they can't be bad, right?

Ok for those of you who might take the time to help me out, thanks!
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Aug 19, 2011,
the only way you'll learn what is for you is to go out and play some different guitars fromthe various brands. we can type opinions all day and in the end it's meaningless because we aren't you. everyone is different and will have an opinion based mostly on what they like. i'm a strat guy so i could sing Fender's praises all day but that doesn't mean they are for you at all. a guitar is a guitar and while some may be better suited for certain genres than others that is mostly a technical thing and often there are ways around that. what works for you is up to you.
monwobobbo: all correct
price range?
style(s) of music you're going to be playing?

with all brands, generally with price comes quality although I have never paid more than $300 for a guitar (I have 4 electric) and I love all of them. Things like neck width and size etc are all personal preference that only comes with playing various guitars and finding out for yourself
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
So you want us to list everything we know about every brand in existance? That's a pretty tall order.

I suggest you go to music store and try out a bunch of guitars. Any guitars. Grab the ones that appeal to you visually, if you have nothing else to base your judgement on. You'll see plenty of similar features among guitars of the same brand, and get an idea of the different features and variables involved.

If we list a bunch of factoids that you consider "common knowledge" and accept without question, then that's not going to benefit anyone. There are plenty of bandwagon riders on this forum who will praise, or more often insult, brands they have no experience with.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
the only way you'll learn what is for you is to go out and play some different guitars fromthe various brands. we can type opinions all day and in the end it's meaningless because we aren't you. everyone is different and will have an opinion based mostly on what they like. i'm a strat guy so i could sing Fender's praises all day but that doesn't mean they are for you at all. a guitar is a guitar and while some may be better suited for certain genres than others that is mostly a technical thing and often there are ways around that. what works for you is up to you.

The problem is we don't have a decent guitar store here, I can't play anything really. We have a couple of pawn shops they have no decent guitars though. Hence this post. And I mostly play metal. Price range, up to about 1000 or so but really prefer to spend less. 500-ish. Monwobobbo I'm not asking for opinions more like summaries of what seems to be the general consensus on the brands. Is Brand A considered to be cheaply made or prone to break? Does brand B have known issues with this that or the other? Will Brand C work for any style or do they tend to specialize in Rock/Metal/Country guitars? You're right that I don't need opinions on what would work for me. But in order to have an idea what might work for me, I need whatever info you guys have on the various brands, since I'm going to probably be forced to buy online without playing first.
Even absent being able to play them ahead of time, you need at least some kind of idea of what specifications you want. So far, all I have to go on is that you're into metal and your price ceiling is 1k. I could make a better attempt at suggesting brands and specific guitars to look into if I have more to go on than that. You might want to investigate various mechanical/technical elements that can go into a guitar (neck radius? neck shape? coils/buckers? pickup output? wood types? tremolo?) before really looking. I can't necessarily blame newer guitarists for having no clue about some of that stuff, but one has to think about it at some point.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Aug 19, 2011,
Shecter makes good guitars for the price. That is if you live in America. I hear the prices are ridiculous elsewhere, but still not bad guitars. Bands Like a7x, devil wears prada, motionless in white play/are endorsed by them so if you're into that kind of music shecter wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Esp/ltd is another company I recommend. For $800 American dollars you can get a get high quality guitar that plays good, feels good, and will last you a good while. They're worth the money imo. They're mostly associated with heavier kinds of music, but I play a lot of blues on my ec. It works just fine.

I love Gibson because I'm an old school fan boy, but I hear they're mostly over priced for what they put out lately, but if I had the money for one, i would get an lp in a heartbeat. Imo they can play any style you want. And they have plenty models with specs that will suit you. But obviously they shine in the classic rock area.

Which brings me back to esp. They make a lot of models that mimic Gibson models, but that's not to say they're copies or wannabes. They're more geared towards modern music, so they have modern specs, like lighter bodies sharper cuttaways to reach higher frets, and most of they're guitars come stock with emgs or seymour Duncan pick ups. So if you like the classic but play modern, i'd suggest that again.

Hopes this helps at least a little bit. I might be able to go into more detail.
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by Brainpolice2
Even absent being able to play them ahead of time, you need at least some kind of idea of what specifications you want. So far, all I have to go on is that you're into metal and your price ceiling is 1k. I could make a better attempt at suggesting brands and specific guitars to look into if I have more to go on than that. You might want to investigate various mechanical/technical elements that can go into a guitar (neck radius? neck shape? coils/buckers? pickup output? wood types? tremolo?) before really looking. I can't necessarily blame newer guitarists for having no clue about some of that stuff, but one has to think about it at some point.

Well I like metal but I want at least some versatility. Currently I have dual hummers. I like that. Would be fine with that again, but would also be ok with a single coil in the center. I am leaning towards a Floyd Rose. I like the idea of never getting out of tune from playing. I don't really dive-bomb now but thats mostly because I'd have to retune right afterward. It might be fun and Dimebag was my hero!

That being said I live in Georgia and I do somewhat like country. Not what I generally listen to but I do want to learn to play it because having grown up around it, I have an appreciation for it. For that though I have resigned myself to likely needing to buy a separate guitar, can't imagine that one ax would handle CHUGCHUGSQUEALKABOOM and TWANGTWANG at the same time.

I prefer a thinner neck(I have slightly smaller than average hands but not drastically so).

As far as pickup output I have no idea. I know what that is but I don't even know what I have currently. Bought my guitar used from a pawn shop. Same with wood types, i know little to nothing about them. In fact if someone could suggest a type for me based on above preferences that would be great!
Well, based on what you've said Robert's suggestions aren't bad. And as you yourself mentioned in the OP, Ibanez are pretty common metal guitars (and often have thin necks), so I'd add that to his list. As far as comfort with body shapes, the guitar image you posted in the other thread has somewhat of a Gibson-ish body for a modern guitar, so perhaps something similar in that respect will work well for you.

There's some reason for pause about the issue of trems and the floyd rose. I have an Ibanez Jem 7v (by no means a cheapie), which has a floyd rose, but I've kept the wammy bar off of it for years to avoid the temptation. The trem system has gone bad on me twice. There are plenty of horror stories out there about the dreaded floyd rose. The true floyd rose that lives up to its reputation more is "licensed" floyd rose. That said, if you want to do wammy stuff I can't argue against getting an ax with a floyd rose and a double locking trem, given your price range. It should *mostly* be fine, but I'd just say to try to be careful and ensure that it's set up properly.

As for a country guitar, the cliche is of course the Fender Telecaster.

I'm not sure what to say about pickup output atm. I suppose that high-output pickups might make sense for metal, but if one wants good dynamics a general rule is that lower output gives you that. I know that my Jem has quite high-output pickups, but sometimes that's been problematic when I plug into someone else's rig on a clean channel and it's clearly naturally gained out a bit already (so that I need to turn the "pre" or input-gain knob down in order to get a "true clean" sound; if the amp even has something like that). Add a dirt pedal on top of an ugly-sounding semi-overdriven clean channel and things can get bad.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Aug 19, 2011,
Are you familiar with john5?
He's a metal guitar player who frequently applies country style techniques in his playing. His tone isn't the bassist however if that's what you're looking for. He plays a fender telecaster with dimarzio pick UPS I believe. Though I think the neck is quite thick, so that may not be the best for you.
I would advise against a Floyd rose. Imo they're more trouble than they're worth if you don't really use the whammy. They're pretty frustrating especially for a beginner, but if you think you'll use it you can get used to it, with time. If its the tuning you're worried about that problem can be fixed by stringing it the right way. There's a post detailing how in this forum.
Yeah you guys have a point maybe I will get a hardtail then. As for body shape i usually play standing up(so that if I ever play live I won't be unable to) so that's not a really big deal to me. I did have a friend who had active SDs pickups and it was annoying because they were really *hot* and would distort even on a supposedly clean tone. I don't know what output they had though just that there was a 9v battery in his guitar just for them.
Active pickups like EMGs or seymour Duncan blackouts are really high output. They're made for heavier music. If you want good cleans or diversity, I suggest passive pickups (don't run on batteries)
Not all seymour Duncan are active however. Almost all are passive. The most common you will find in high quality guitars are the jb/59 set. They're my favorite. Imo they do metal and hard rock flawlessly, and clean gentle music perfectly.