Page 1 of 2
Well, the Oxford Dictionary is celebrating 100 years, so it's understandable that it be updated throughout that time. Today, the Oxford Dictionary added 400 new words, including mankini, woot, noob, and sexting. This joins words that were added earlier this year, such as lol and omg. The thing I find particularly funny is how words that I honestly can't take seriously are defined in such a serious manner:
noob
Pronunciation:/nuːb/
noun
informal
a person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity, especially computing or the use of the Internet.
Origin: early 21st century: from newbie

So, I turn this to the pit, as we seem to have a blend of age groups, what are your opinions of this? Is there a limit to altering the English language? Should there be? Could you care less? Do you like muffins?

Discuss.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Last edited by CPDmusic at Aug 19, 2011,
New words are constantly being introduced, so I don't see why they shouldn't have a place in a dictionary. If someone is learning English, they could use the explanation.

And muffins are pretty good.
Quote by homeless-john
I thought you meant that the dictionary is the new must have hipster accessory. Like those Clark Kent glasses without any actual glass in them.

Nah, the Oxford Dictionary is way too mainstream. Some obscure Norwegian dictionary from 1952 would be so awesome...

so vintage...

Quote by BK202

Yes, the dictionary should have words omitted and added after they fall in or out of common useage, if the dictionary was never edited, it would defeat the purpose of language.

I'd say it would defeat the purpose of a dictionary
Quote by sashki

not really.

Anyway yeah "noob" should definitely be added to dictionary, I use it all the time, as do my friends.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
As for "lol" and "omg" I would not support adding them, as they are acronyms. Basically they're putting phrases in the dictionary rather than words, and I do not support that. But as for words, go ahead. Just stay away from the proper nouns and I'll be fine.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/hip?region=us
hip1(hip)

noun
1 a projection of the pelvis and upper thigh bone on each side of the body in human beings and quadrupeds. (hips) the circumference of the body at the buttocks:
a sweater tied around the hipsa person's hip joint:
she ran into a fence and dislocated her hip
2 the sharp edge of a roof from the ridge to the eaves where two sides meet.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Skullivan
As for "lol" and "omg" I would not support adding them, as they are acronyms. Basically they're putting phrases in the dictionary rather than words, and I do not support that. But as for words, go ahead. Just stay away from the proper nouns and I'll be fine.

On that note, I heard somewhere that "<3" was added to the OED. Can't verify with a source though, I might check it out.

Acronyms like lol and omg, no, but noob is used enough that it might as well be defined.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by Skullivan

While yeah I suppose you can always argue that it's an acronym, it can also be used as a verb, ie. "I lol'd". I mean yeah technically it's saying "I laughed out loud" but really it's gotten to the point where it could be considered a verb on it's own.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by homeless-john
I thought you meant that the dictionary is the new must have hipster accessory. Like those Clark Kent glasses without any actual glass in them.

So the "glasses" don't have any glass in them?

Does that mean... they aren't really glasses...?
In principle, I think "words" like "lol" and "omg" shouldn't be acknowledged as such. However, I understand that the language, as we know it today, would never be what it is is if it hadn't evolved.

Whatever...

If I'm ever caught using these pseudo words, rest assured that I'm being facetious.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
muffins are pretty good most of the time.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i like blueberry muffins, but apple streudel muffins are good too..

EDIT: ninja'd!

but my mom makes em for breakfast on my birthday and christmas and shit like that
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Aug 19, 2011,
"Noob" is well known and has a common definition that most know, I don't see why it shouldn't be added to the dictionary.
I ****ing LOVE muffins!
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I don't have a problem with them adding acronyms. They have them in there anyway, plus, our language is changing, so why not add in "words" that we use often.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by BK202
Language is like a virus, it constantly evolves and makes its way into our culture.

Yes, the dictionary should have words omitted and added after they fall in or out of common useage, if the dictionary was never edited, it would defeat the purpose of language.

I don't think omitting words would work. If they said they were going to omit words it'd probably make the news just like adding new words makes the news. Then as a result a new awareness of the word(s) would be created, thus leading to a rise in it's usage. I'm curious as how one would determine if a word is no longer in common usage. I'm sure some words are more common in some areas than others.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by Assasaurus
I don't think omitting words would work. If they said they were going to omit words it'd probably make the news just like adding new words makes the news. Then as a result a new awareness of the word(s) would be created, thus leading to a rise in it's usage. I'm curious as how one would determine if a word is no longer in common usage. I'm sure some words are more common in some areas than others.

I guess, I do know some slang terms, olde english, and religion-specific words have been removed at times in the past though.
I couldn't care less.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Last edited by Blackbullet at Aug 20, 2011,
I think it's right to add new words in. Maybe not omg, but lol is often pronounced as one word, and used as such.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I'm okay with whatever they add now, because nothing can be as bad as the time they added Delia Smith to it.
I MEAN DELIA FUCKING SMITH!
That's a name you fucking retards, what the fuck is the description? "Some stupid bat who cooks and shouts at Norwich City footy matches"?
I heard a dictionary expert on the radio once (yeah- I know) and she said that dictionaries reflect use of words; so if these words are being used extensively by people (which I believe they are) then they should be added to the dictionary. Personally, I think it's stupid because in the end dictionaries are going to be filled up with all manner of unintelligible rubbish. If people are desperate, companies should make separate dictionaries for text-speak and "words" like 'n00b' and 'ZOMG!' etc.
Yes, I do like muffins.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Why did they put lol...

I can't even tell idiots that it's not a real word anymore..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by sashki

A dictionary is to reference and explain words in common usage, not to prescribe what words should be used or how.
Quote by MadClownDisease
A dictionary is to reference and explain words in common usage, not to prescribe what words should be used or how.

Pfft, what are you, a Nazi?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by MadClownDisease

This guy's actually right.

Quote by dann_blood
Pfft, what are you, a Nazi?

Rather a Nazi than an Australian.
Page 1 of 2