My friend just got a new amp. He got a Marshall Modefour head, and some Carvin cab.

Well for some reason Marshall felt the need to make a 350-watt head. wtf.
His cab is 250 watts.....

But the head is still solid state....
how bad is this situation? is it safe to run like that?
Quote by epiphoneLP777
My friend just got a new amp. He got a Marshall Modefour head, and some Carvin cab.

Well for some reason Marshall felt the need to make a 350-watt head. wtf.
His cab is 250 watts.....

But the head is still solid state....
how bad is this situation? is it safe to run like that?

what is the impedance of the carvin cab?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Not really. You'd want to keep the volume down a bit. If it goes to full volume for any length of time you'll pop a speaker. Keep it to about half volume and you should be ok.
SS amps really need to be higher power for the headroom. A power transistor running into clipping just sounds nasty. You can do tricks in the preamp to take the sharp edges off the signal but the power amp is a straight forward push pull transistor amplifier. A valve amp can run the power tubes a long way into clipping without sounding bad. in fact most people prefer a little clipping on their valve amps. You have to clip them a fair bit before it even sounds like distortion. A small amount of clipping just sounds warm. The power rating on them is at the point just before any clipping. That's the main reason valve amps sound louder than SS amps of the same power rating. You can run a valve amp a lot harder than its rating.
So in short, they are bigger because they need more headroom.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 19, 2011,
If the impedance is right, just keep the volume reasonable. You're only putting out 350w if it's turned up to maximum clean volume.

EDIT: Cathbard beat me to it again.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
the marshall has rated output of 350 watts at 8 ohms, since it is solid state the output of the amp should drop to below 250 watts (the handbook says 235 watts) with a 16 ohm cabinet.

so if his carvin is 16 ohms then he is fine, else he'll have to get a new cab or just deal with the fact that he won't be able to crank his amp (which he won't to anyway).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 20, 2011,
Quite right. It all depends on impedance. If it's a 16 ohm cab (or can be rewired to 16 ohm) he'd be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Mode Four was designed to be used as a halfstack with a single MF400 400-watt cabinet and a full stack with two MF280 cabinets. Don't go crazy with the volume and you can use it on a 250-watt cabinet. As others have said, check the impedance on the amp and the cabinet and use the right output jack on the amplifier head.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley