I'm sure you've heard of them, they literally came out of ****ing nowhere. But i've been listening to Torches recently and it's surprisingly good. It's just fun, catchy, and synthy.

Pumped Up Kicks and Helena Beat are the ones you've probably heard. Anybody enjoy/despise/indifferent this band?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I've only heard three songs. They are ridiculously catchy. I enjoy it, but I don't they are amazing or anything.
You make valid points.
Meh, I equate them to all of those mid 2000s alternative rock/pop bands that had 1 or 2 good songs as far as how GOOD they are. I've been listening to all of those cool songs recently, so they fit in sortof. (think All American Rejects, Hot Hot Heat, Yellowcard, The Killers, etc.)
I didn't really like pumped up kicks but did like helena beat. I don't know they just seem like a band that isn't gonna last very long.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Pumped Up Kicks is really catchy and has a decent bassline. As for the rest of the album...average
I can definitely understand people's comparisons to MGMT, definitely a lot closer to the first album's singles though. I'd say they're a pretty good band, nothing particularly inventive but they're fun Saw them a few weeks ago at Leeds and they put on a really good show musically, but they failed to get anyone going at all during any song besides Pumped Up Kicks :/
Quote by bradulator
Meh, I equate them to all of those mid 2000s alternative rock/pop bands that had 1 or 2 good songs as far as how GOOD they are. I've been listening to all of those cool songs recently, so they fit in sortof. (think All American Rejects, Hot Hot Heat, Yellowcard, The Killers, etc.)

Wow, that's a surprisingly apt comparison.
my friends keep on going about them. sounds a bit gay though
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I think comparing them to Mumford is... well, there's not really a comparison. Apples and Oranges, you know.
MGMT, yes. Oracular Spectacular was great. Three or four really good songs, the rest fairly average but good. Congratulations just sucked.
I'm interested to see how they do in the long run. Torches has several tracks that are damn catchy.
Quote by BK202
They're going to fade into obscurity after Pumped Up Kicks stops getting radio airplay.

I dunno about fading into obscurity, more like making an attempt at a mainstream alternative album and having it flop after (like MGMT)
love is love // return to dust
Quote by irrevoca
I think comparing them to Mumford is... well, there's not really a comparison. Apples and Oranges, you know.
MGMT, yes. Oracular Spectacular was great. Three or four really good songs, the rest fairly average but good. Congratulations just sucked.
I'm interested to see how they do in the long run. Torches has several tracks that are damn catchy.

The comparison to Mumford is apt if you look at it outside of the style of music. They're a band that's just indie enough to appeal to "actual indie culture" and make pop fans feel like they're hip. They have 1 or 2 really catchy songs that they're mostly known for and people mostly don't G.A.F. about the rest of their music. As an interesting point, around the time i started hearing things about Foster the People, I stopped seeing people talk about M&S the way they used to. A friend of mine is into foster the people and their album is a good if kind of forgettable listen.

Also, for the bolded part, I get the feeling that parts of Oracular Spectacular that you think are the parts that I thought were awesomely psychedelic. To not sidetrack the thread completely, I'll just say that Congratulations is a great psych-pop/rock album that they seemed to have made with the direct purpose of alienating people who liked them for Kids and Electric Feel.
Quote by tancanada
I dunno about fading into obscurity, more like making an attempt at a mainstream alternative album and having it flop after (like MGMT)

Yeah, but unless they have the popularity and *timelessness* (I hesitate to use that) of MGMT, which they don't, the album's gonna be highly ignored.
Quote by Mack56
The comparison to Mumford is apt if you look at it outside of the style of music. They're a band that's just indie enough to appeal to "actual indie culture" and make pop fans feel like they're hip. They have 1 or 2 really catchy songs that they're mostly known for and people mostly don't G.A.F. about the rest of their music. As an interesting point, around the time i started hearing things about Foster the People, I stopped seeing people talk about M&S the way they used to. A friend of mine is into foster the people and their album is a good if kind of forgettable listen.

This is basically how I feel too. I remember discussing how much of a guilty pleasure Mumford and Sons is back when they were bigger with my friend. Concluded that Mumford and Sons is incredibly generic, nothing new, etc., but the music was still enjoyable to listen to and not bad. Forgettable, but good enough to hold you over. They were original only in comparison to what was happening in the mainstream music scene at the time, which explains why they weren't exclusive to "indie kids." So in that aspect, I think it's an identical situation to Foster the People.
Quote by BK202
Yeah, but unless they have the popularity and *timelessness* (I hesitate to use that) of MGMT, which they don't, the album's gonna be highly ignored.

I dunno, Helena Beat could be released as a single and make a run somewhere down the line.

Regardless FTP is going to be a consistent band for a while I feel
love is love // return to dust
I enjoyed them kinda, thought pumped up kicks was a great little pop song, but I work at hollister, and found out a few songs on our playlist were from these guys too, my opinion went south quickly ha, wasn't much of a fan anymore, and it wasn't just because they were on that playlist, the stuff just sounded prettyyy generic. Still enjoy pumped up kicks though
Am I the only one who feels like they may be a band started by a label just to cash in on the sound/look going on? a la Paramore?
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
well, i just started listening to them, and i'd say that they are more unique than most bands out there. I really like torches because it combines a lot of different styles that im interested in, along with being catchy and nice sounding. i don't like crazy songs where people create tons of dissonance and use exotic scales. i just appreciate good songwriting put into a more pop aspect because it's simply more acceptable. however, i did have to listen to the whole album before i could actually like any of the songs. they all got better the more i listened.
but whatever about some of you guys not liking them, just other people's opinions to me.
"Pumped Up Kicks" is growing on me. I can't escape the grasp of that song's vast airplay.
^^ tell me about it! It's on everywhere.

I knew the song was ultra popular when I was walking on campus past a douchy frat house and I heard it blasting from inside.
Quote by due 07
"Pumped Up Kicks" is growing on me. I can't escape the grasp of that song's vast airplay.

This is how it gets you. They have really cool basslines, so I can just walk around mimicking the bassline and enjoy it.