I really have... no idea where to post this. Why doesn't UG have a piano/keyboard section? Anyway... I hope there's someone here who can help me.

Basically, I'm looking for a small keyboard/MIDI controller (not sure what exactly I need). I want to be able to be able to press a record button, play something, and then stop, and have it stored within the keyboard itself, and I want to be able to play back that clip at any time, with the press of the button. I assume it would have either internal, or more likely removable memory of some kind.

I need multiple "tracks", that I can turn on/off with a bank of buttons. And of course, as probably implied, I want to be able to play the keyboard normally, standalone, and on top of the loop.

Now... does something like this exist, or do I just have to rig up a keyboard and a looper pedal? I know I can do that, but it'd be really cool to just have a keyboard that can do it on it's own.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Link?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My ex-wife had a Yamaha PSR-640 which had midi-creation facilities and stored what you'd created to a floppy disc drive. I used to use it to create the drum patterns for songs I wrote, and I know she created a few tunes with more than one track so it probably did what you're asking about.

Obviously that was a few years ago (the giveaway was the use of floppy disc for storage... ), but I'm sure there are updated models with similar functions so check out their current line of keyboards.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Why doesn't UG have a piano/keyboard section?

Because the "G" stands for guitar...?
We have a stupid drum forum though, cause those assholes felt discriminated against.

I'm a drummer too and have nothing against drum forums, but, the thing about keyboards... it's just that they're too gay. (I have a keyboard too, but I'm not gay)
Korgs usually have the stuff you want on it. How much money are you willing to spend?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Zeletros
We have a stupid drum forum though, cause those assholes felt discriminated against.

I'm a drummer too and have nothing against drum forums, but, the thing about keyboards... it's just that they're too gay. (I have a keyboard too, but I'm not gay)

This makes more sense than the bible
Quote by Neo Evil11
Korgs usually have the stuff you want on it. How much money are you willing to spend?

I don't really know - I mean, for now, I'm just trying to find what I'm looking for in the first place. This is kind of a down the line thing, but I just like to know what exactly I need to get, when I'm ready to get it.

Realistically though, I can't really see myself spending over $300 on something like this. Not in any short time frame anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You know what? I'd love something exactly like this.

/stickied.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
So you want to record into the keyboard? If you want to record it would be a lot cheaper to get a midi keyboard and record to your PC, they are great to learn on and you can create your own sounds a lot easier with plugins.
Also, I like to think more guitarists also play keyboard as opposed to drums. I would love a keyboard/synth forum.

OT: There's a ton of keyboards with USB interfaces of somesort, I'd think most remotely decent keyboards have a record button of somesort. My Yamaha PSR does.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by guitar12
So you want to record into the keyboard? If you want to record it would be a lot cheaper to get a midi keyboard and record to your PC, they are great to learn on and you can create your own sounds a lot easier with plugins.

I guess kind of an important piece of info I left out, this is something I want to use on stage. Not only that, but something on the side of the stage that I can run over to and hit/play with, at the same time as/ instead of playing guitar during a song. I don't necessarily want to "record", in the professional sense, but I'd like to be able to record small clips into the keyboard, and loop them/ play them back as needed.

And inb4 "just use the PA", I know, I know, but I just personally want to be in a band that actually does everything onstage. I have a strong belief that if I can't do it onstage, I don't put it in a song.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
I guess kind of an important piece of info I left out, this is something I want to use on stage. Not only that, but something on the side of the stage that I can run over to and hit/play with, at the same time as/ instead of playing guitar during a song. I don't necessarily want to "record", in the professional sense, but I'd like to be able to record small clips into the keyboard, and loop them/ play them back as needed.

I would still recommend some sort of midi keyboard, but if you wanted to play live you would have to use a laptop or something with vsts loaded that can be played through a PA/Speakers.

Would you be willing to/have a laptop you could use?
I would really rather not. At the very least, from a space standpoint. Just having a keyboard onstage is already inconvenient, haha. But I might consider it, if I could get some kind of rack type setup. On top of that, there's the aesthetics of it. I want to be seen as someone using a keyboard onstage, not a laptop. I know that its just there to provide data via MIDI, but the average show watcher is very impressionable, and forms false opinions rather quickly.

BTW, thank you all - I really appreciate the discussion/suggestions. I'm sorry if I'm being difficult

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by guitar12

Sorry-This has got me thinking; Could I get any sound clip and record it into the keyboard/MIDI controller, or would it have to be a specific file type? Hope that made sense, as I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff....

Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by coco-loco
Sorry-This has got me thinking; Could I get any sound clip and record it into the keyboard/MIDI controller, or would it have to be a specific file type? Hope that made sense, as I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff....

That would depend on the keyboard - a good one could probably record a sample of any sound and assign it to a key so you could play it whilst creating the midi, but I'd imagine you're looking at a pretty high spec keyboard if you want it to sound good.

I just personally want to be in a band that actually does everything onstage. I have a strong belief that if I can't do it onstage, I don't put it in a song

Definitely agree with this. Music should be played live, otherwise it's just karaoke.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Korg KP3 + MIDI Keyboard/Synth like the Novation X Station

Would do the trick. Play on the keyboard -> save the sample on the sampler -> repeat -> win
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
Quote by LostLegion
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1466778&highlight=keyboard+thread

Maybe we should start a petition for a Keyboard/Synth forum

Let's do it. Cause why not? The site would only get that much more popular/useful, and I doubt it'd be difficult to create one more forum.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They won't make a Keyboard forum, the official Keyboard thread isn't even over one page yet.
Actually.

Yeah it is.....
Quote by slash_GNR666

Of course keyboards like that exist, but something with those specs will probably cost you.

Just go look around a music store, you're sure to find one you like.
Quote by coco-loco
Actually.

Yeah it is.....

only if you're one of those losers using 20ppp.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.