Page 1 of 3
I've been thinking about this recently. Is time a human invention that we only think about or is it something that was already there?

What do you think?
What we call "time" has always existed. But we invented the manner in which it is measured and discussed.

edit: Then again, I don't know much about physics or whatever, and things are never as simple as that, so who knows.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Aug 20, 2011,
No. We are just here. In space. Of time. Oh wait, so there is time.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Well if it didn't we'd be unable to move. As movement is a predicate of time. There must be time to move through.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
inb4 pit quantum astrophysicists.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
it's the same as centimetres. there are distances, but the manner in which we measure those distances are entirely man-made.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by damian_91

Don't worry, once they show up everyone leaves anyway. Talk about a bunch of buzzkills
It doesn't exist.

Now, go back to when you started this thread and rethink your decision.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Try doing something without time.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jazz Funeral
It doesn't exist.

Now, go back to when you started this thread and rethink your decision.

Great explanation...
Quote by SeveralSpecies
What we call "time" has always existed. But we invented the manner in which it is measured and discussed.

This.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

/thread.

The planet spins and moves through space, which causes the chancing of seasons.
We age because our cells stop reproducing.
But time is a human invention, everything that we associate with it have existed forever
Quote by sglover34479
I remember some satanist chick on here that was talking about how humans invented time one day. Of course it exists.

Obviously this didn't happen, because there aren't any women on the internet.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
yes, time exists, just like space. The way we measure it is man made as someone already pointed out.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by guitar12
Great explanation...

Great question...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Hells_Bell
Obviously this didn't happen, because there aren't any women on the internet.

they're all in the sahara desert. i went on the internet there and i kept getting pop-ups saying there's loads of single hot chicks that are in my area.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Well if you're a Kantian, space and time are part of our perception; they're the basis of our understanding of the world rather than part of it.
Time exists and time varies.

The faster you are travelling, the slower time is, as you theoretically approach the speed of light, time slows down tremendously.

ie. Two identical twins in 2200, one becomes an astronaut, and one is a farmer on earth, the astronaut flys into space and goes on a space voyage at 0.5c, he returns in 2220 on earth, his brother the farmer will look as though he aged 20 years, even though the astronaut flew for 20 human earth years, he will have aged far less, maybe 10, and the clocks on their wrists will only say they are returning in 2210.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Do the Sun and the Moon rise and set, TS? Are there phases of the moon? Do different stars appear in the sky at different times of the year? Do seasons come and go? All these things are natural indicators of time. Man may have decided to measure time, but the natural indicators of time were always there. Frankly, using ancient sundials as an example, it could be argued man didn't even invent how we measure time but simply invented devices that allowed us to more easily see what hour in the day it was. Also, it's a fact that some people can tell the hour of the day or night by looking at the position of the sun or moon in the sky.
Quote by G.Krizzel
Well, Pink Floyd made a song about it, so there's gotta be something up to it...

"Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time"

Yes, but he did struggle to find it. So maybe it doesn't exist.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Time exists and time varies.

The faster you are travelling, the slower time is, as you theoretically approach the speed of light, time slows down tremendously.

ie. Two identical twins in 2200, one becomes an astronaut, and one is a farmer on earth, the astronaut flys into space and goes on a space voyage at 0.5c, he returns in 2220 on earth, his brother the farmer will look as though he aged 20 years, even though the astronaut flew for 20 human earth years, he will have aged far less, maybe 10, and the clocks on their wrists will only say they are returning in 2210.

Time Dilation ftw!!!
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by SeveralSpecies

Yes, time can only exist for the duration of time that it has existed for.

Time is really just a measure of change, though. There is no time that is independent of things happening. Similarly, space has no meaning independent of relationships between things in the universe. To conclude, neither space nor time are absolute.
Time existed in terms of cylces, day and night, seasons and such. However, seconds, minutes, hours, days etc are man made.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Well if you're a Kantian, space and time are part of our perception; they're the basis of our understanding of the world rather than part of it.

The experience of time I guess of course is based on perception, but then if you accept that any processes or changes require a dimension of time to work through, then for beings who perceive time to come into being it requires time to have already existed.
Quote by damian_91

The Pit is becoming an internationally renowned scientific research institute, after all.
Quote by br33dlove
Yes, time can only exist for the duration of time that it has existed for.

Woooaaaaaa maaaaaaaaaan
I think some theories state that time did not exist before the big bang.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-NgNvq5e_g

Bill Bailey regarding time and A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by vagelier
I think some theories state that time did not exist before the big bang.

Assuming that the Big Bang came from nothing, then there would be nothing to give time meaning and existence.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

edit: Then again, I don't know much about physics or whatever, and things are never as simple as that, so who knows.

According to classical physics, yes. If you think about it, though, that implies that there was an infinite amount of time that existed before the universe was created, which is sort of a logical contradiction.
Now it's accepted that time cannot exist in independance of space, or vice versa.
Quote by National_Anthem
According to classical physics, yes. If you think about it, though, that implies that there was an infinite amount of time that existed before the universe was created, which is sort of a logical contradiction.
Now it's accepted that time cannot exist in independance of space, or vice versa.

See? I knew it wasn't that simple
Quote by Butt Rayge
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

I can't help but repeat saying your username over and over again in my head.
Quote by MadClownDisease
The experience of time I guess of course is based on perception, but then if you accept that any processes or changes require a dimension of time to work through, then for beings who perceive time to come into being it requires time to have already existed.

Possibly. Bear in mind though that Kant was writing in the 18th century and his idea of time was very different to ours. He reasoned space and time are our ways of understanding a world we can never truly perceive; we can only comprehend representations of it which are shaped by space and time in our own minds. I'm not really an expert and it's ages since I read anything about it, but I think he would have suggested that time might exist in objective reality, but we can't know either way.
Page 1 of 3