Jeez, when posting i gave myself a brain meltdown on how to formule the question, but i hope you'll get it...

All of this regarding the actual/possible name for an E chord.

E chord:

E 0 (E)
B 0 (B)
G 1 (G#)
D 2 (E)
A 2 (B)
e 0 (E)

E triad B,E,G#.

*The additional notes(e0,B0,E0) in the chord are duplicates of those already in the triad.
Is that why the name of the chord is 'simple' and not some: eg. Cmaj7b5 bla bla bla.?

* I actualy tryed to make it a smart a*s name, but while trying to do it i gave up since i didnt know what to do with duplicate notes( same & diffrent pitch ), weird scale degrees like 12 14 and so on..
Last edited by DocArunas at Aug 20, 2011,
Honestly, I have no idea what you're going on about, but I'll try to help as best I can. That's an E major chord and not much else. An E major triad consists of E, G# and B and what's in your chord? only E, G# and B, and it's not anything funny because E is your root note.

And just by the way, I think you used the term "tritone" incorrectly. Tritones are used to refer to either an augmented 4th or a diminished 5th interval (they're the same thing). I believe the term you are looking for is "triad".
OK then a triad i ment. But you still didnt answer why it doesnt have a 'detailed' name, is it because the notes that are 'added' are the same as in the actual triad?
I'm not sure what you mean by "added notes". If you mean the fact that there are three notes of E, two notes of B and one note of G#: octaves don't make a difference to the name of the chord, whether you play an E as an open 6th string or an E in the twelfth fret on the 1st string, it's still an E just in a different octave - think scales and when you get to the octave that's actually the root again for when you play the scale in the next octave. Also, there is only one G# because that's the 3rd which determines the quality of the chord (major or minor) and that's all that is needed to alter the chord's quality.

Have I answered your question?
Quote by DocArunas
OK then a triad i ment. But you still didnt answer why it doesnt have a 'detailed' name, is it because the notes that are 'added' are the same as in the actual triad?

It doesn't have a 'detailed' name as you say because there's not really anything to it. It's just a basic E major chord. All it is is E B G#. If it were to have say D# in there too, then it would be Emaj7 because you are adding the 7th degree or 7th note of the E major scale. If you keep going and take out the B and add C# F# and A#, you get Emaj13#11(no 5). The name of a chord just tells you what degrees of the scale are in the chord. If it's just a major triad, it's just a basic major chord.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.