Hello GG&A! I finally got myself a new amplifier after getting those Dunlop Straploks for my Gibson LP. I mostly got this to upgrade my home amp tremendously and at the same time get something that is both portable and good sounding. That's what this amplifier is, Blackstar HT-1.
I actually didn't need to try this amp much or any other options (exception: I did try the Blackstar HT-5) in the given price category.. I just heard the good sound that I wanted to have at home. Even though this thing is a 1 watt amplifier, it does get really loud. It doesn't have outstanding cleans, but they aren't horrible either. As I reduce the volume of my guitar, the distortion goes smoothly away, as I've experienced with other amps as well.

Specs:
- 1 watt all-valve combo
- 1x ECC83 & 1x ECC82 tube
- 8" Speaker
- 2 Channels (not footswitchable)
- 3 Knobs: Gain, Volume and ISF (Infinite Shape Feature)
- Speaker emulated output
- Line/MP3 Input
- No standby switch, just power on/off.
- External speaker output
Now, some pictures

(Invalid img)
It has a bit of a vintage look

(Invalid img)
The controls are pretty simple, just 3 knobs.

The ISF on this amp pretty much works as a whole EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble). My favourite setting is pretty much gain at 3 o'clock and then ISF 11 o'clock. The more the volume, the better the sound. But also louder. I love the fact that my Line 6 is now officially retired.. or well, it works as a "table" for my Blackstar, so that I have an easier access to the EQ.
I did like HT-5 a lot more, it's a tremendous amp for the price and you can get really good tones out of it. Why I did not get it however, is that I needed something more portable (home-> band practice/countryside/other) and this amplifier is that. I wonder how good the reverb is on the HT-1R, I want to find out that one, but I don't really use reverb much myself.

Next up, new pickups! I'm already excited..
Attachments:
Blackstar Front.jpg
Blackstar Panel.jpg
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I played a Gibson through this in a store and honestly did not like it at all, sounded like a cheap budget amp. But maybe it takes a while to get to know it. HNAD
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
I played a Gibson through this in a store and honestly did not like it at all, sounded like a cheap budget amp. But maybe it takes a while to get to know it. HNAD

It really didn't to my ear.. and I played an Epiphone LP Standard through this in the store I bought this amp from.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
Specs:
- 1 watt all-valve combo
- 1x ECC83 & 1x ECC82 tube
- 8" Speaker
- 2 Channels (not footswitchable)
- 3 Knobs: Gain, Volume and ISF (Infinite Shape Feature)
- Speaker emulated output
- Line/MP3 Input
- No standby switch, just power on/off.
- External speaker output

A friend of mine has this and I didn't like it very much. It did, however, sound quite good when he recorded some Andy Timmons-style stuff with it, so I guess it can be good when you tweak it to your liking. Main thing, though, is that YOU seem to like it enough to get one, and that's all that matters, really - also it's really compact and can do some nice, quiet playing. All in all, HNAD! <:
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Nice small amp you got there must be a damn site easier to lug around than my 81 pound monster

Clips please!
With ISF at zero, dimed and in between.

I can try something if my friend loans his POD, I don't own any recording stuff.. This amp weighs about 4 kilos I'd say, which is pretty much 8 to 9 pounds.

Quote by The^Unforgiven
A friend of mine has this and I didn't like it very much. It did, however, sound quite good when he recorded some Andy Timmons-style stuff with it, so I guess it can be good when you tweak it to your liking. Main thing, though, is that YOU seem to like it enough to get one, and that's all that matters, really - also it's really compact and can do some nice, quiet playing. All in all, HNAD! <:

Yes, it is good for late night playing, as I won't disturb my neighbors. However, I can get this amp really loud and make them knock on my door maybe even make them ram it down.
I do like the sound enough to get it to be my home amp and for the time being, also my band practice amp. I hope that I can save enough money to go to the capital and get to try some Series One heads and bring one with me if it's good enough.
I think that this amp is good for home and for medium-sized rehearsals. I've yet to find out if this thing can keep up with a loud drummer though.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by Sakke
I can try something if my friend loans his POD, I don't own any recording stuff.. This amp weighs about 4 kilos I'd say, which is pretty much 8 to 9 pounds.

Yes, it is good for late night playing, as I won't disturb my neighbors. However, I can get this amp really loud and make them knock on my door maybe even make them ram it down.
I do like the sound enough to get it to be my home amp and for the time being, also my band practice amp. I hope that I can save enough money to go to the capital and get to try some Series One heads and bring one with me if it's good enough.
I think that this amp is good for home and for medium-sized rehearsals. I've yet to find out if this thing can keep up with a loud drummer though.

Well, my amps size is what at times makes me regret selling my MG x.x even if it sounded shit, it was at least portable.

Even a cell phone vid will do
HNAD.

Thats a lot of components for a 1 watt amp. Im guessing its the same deal as the HT5. I spot trannies and diodes

Ive not tried any blackstar stuff though, im quite glad the fanboyness died down after people started ripping them apart for not being all valve. Now we can actually get some unbiased opinions.

Where have the good old days gone. When low watt amps had 3 resistors and an LED and sounded awesome.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by beckyjc
Ive not tried any blackstar stuff though, im quite glad the fanboyness died down after people started ripping them apart for not being all valve. Now we can actually get some unbiased opinions.

Well, now it's 6505+ 112, not Blackstar, fanboys are still alive.
Quote by beckyjc
HNAD.
Thats a lot of components for a 1 watt amp. Im guessing its the same deal as the HT5. I spot trannies and diodes

Where have the good old days gone. When low watt amps had 3 resistors and an LED and sounded awesome.

Okay, so I was wrong.. Sorry for that. But calling it hybrid wouldn't be right either, correct? So... *confused* I guess this one is just valve then or something. I'm not a technician by all means, so that's why I figured it's all-valve, granted that it has speaker emulated output, line/mp3 input.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Sakke
Okay, so I was wrong.. Sorry for that. But calling it hybrid wouldn't be right either, correct? So... *confused* I guess this one is just valve then or something. I'm not a technician by all means, so that's why I figured it's all-valve, granted that it has speaker emulated output, line/mp3 input.

Yes it is a hybrid, but if you like the sound thats what matters.

HNAD!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes it is a hybrid, but if you like the sound thats what matters.

HNAD!

Okay, now I'm even more confused.. Thanks though.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Sakke
Okay, now I'm even more confused.. Thanks though.

Hybrid can mean the following-

All tube poweramp, SS preamp (Vypyr)
Tube pre, SS power (Engl E530, some Musicman amps)
Hybrid pre, Hubrid power (Blackstar HT, Vox VT+)
Quote by Sakke

oh no, i wasnt making a point of it, im not really bothered how blackstar market their gear, its up to the buyer to do research.

I was just interested in how the amp worked so i had a quick look for some gut shots. I just think they over complicated it a bit.

it doesnt matter if its valve, solid state or powered by unicorn blood. Its about how it sounds to you.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

Ahh, now it's clear to me..

Quote by beckyjc
oh no, i wasnt making a point of it, im not really bothered how blackstar market their gear, its up to the buyer to do research.

I was just interested in how the amp worked so i had a quick look for some gut shots. I just think they over complicated it a bit.

it doesnt matter if its valve, solid state or powered by unicorn blood. Its about how it sounds to you.

Yes, I know. But the research part was kind of the point.. I wasn't actually really sure about the all-valve thanks to some of the features of the amp, but well, as I said, I'm no tech. Thanks for clarifying it and yeah, it doesn't matter really.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Don't worry too much, a lot of that SS circuitry is for the emulated output anyway.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Don't worry too much, a lot of that SS circuitry is for the emulated output anyway.

Yeah, I thought about that once I was given more information. However, it doesn't make this any less good. I think this amp has a really good tone when you have a little patience and mess with guitar's volume and tone settings, the ISF and the gain. I found myself 2 tones from both, clean and overdrive channels, after some 20-30 minutes
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by GS LEAD 5
Nice small amp you got there must be a damn site easier to lug around than my 81 pound monster

Clips please!
With ISF at zero, dimed and in between.

Your keyboard amp is 81 pounds?

HNAD!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by beckyjc

Valve amp pun there? I saw it, then again, I'm a bit sad like that.

On topic though, HNAD! I've been looking at a few amps to replace my crappy SP-10...that one is coming close.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Sakke - HNAD

Quote by GS LEAD 5

Most Vypyrs have a SS power amp. Some, like the 60 and the 120, are tube powered. Just sayin'
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 20, 2011,
Have had my HT-5 for about a year now and it has served me well Although I am replacing it next week. Anyway, hope you enjoy it

HNAD
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by kutless999
Your keyboard amp is 81 pounds?

HNAD!

Yep
I cant pick it up without help. So I use the wheels.

Wheels still do no good if it gets stuck in a door though

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sakke - HNAD

Most Vypyrs have a SS power amp. Some, like the 60 and the 120, are tube powered. Just sayin'

Yep, but those are pure SS. Only mentioned the hybrid ones. Guess I should have added "tube 60/120" to it. Dont the SS ones have a 12AX7 buffer though?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Yep
I cant pick it up without help. So I use the wheels.

Wheels still do no good if it gets stuck in a door though

Yep, but those are pure SS. Only mentioned the hybrid ones. Guess I should have added "tube 60/120" to it. Dont the SS ones have a 12AX7 buffer though?

Ahh, so that's why someone(wait, there were two people lifting it ) had to lift it in the car for you when you first got it.
i played a ht1 through a 4x12 (v30s) - personally i thought it sounded killer - the best tone/sound at that kind of price and volume levels..
Quote by Dawginator

On topic though, HNAD! I've been looking at a few amps to replace my crappy SP-10...that one is coming close.

Thanks. Yeah, I replaced my line 6 with this...

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sakke - HNAD

Thanks! Now my GAS list has one item less

Quote by UKMaster
Have had my HT-5 for about a year now and it has served me well Although I am replacing it next week. Anyway, hope you enjoy it

HNAD

Oh, that's cool. What are you going to get?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by kutless999
Ahh, so that's why someone(wait, there were two people lifting it ) had to lift it in the car for you when you first got it.

It didnt even fit in the boo the lid had to be tied down since it wasnt getting close enough to lock
Quote by GS LEAD 5
It didnt even fit in the boo the lid had to be tied down since it wasnt getting close enough to lock

Wow, is it really that big?
This thing can actually sound pretty good. Got a nice tone out of it running the emulated out through some cab impulse responses.

Fun little amp to play through.
Quote by Sakke
Oh, that's cool. What are you going to get?

Hopefully getting a Laney VH100R Basically just needed more punch and a bit more volume
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by GS LEAD 5
PICS OR ITS AN LX

Ye I should be getting it next weekend so I will be sure to make a NAD thread