Hey guys,

With bass, the longer the scale, the better the bass handles lower tuning. I assume it's the same with guitar, right? Would a 25.5" scale guitar handle lower tunings (mostly D and drop C) better than a 24.75" one?

Thanks.
Quote by Poglia
Hey guys,

With bass, the longer the scale, the better the bass handles lower tuning. I assume it's the same with guitar, right? Would a 25.5" scale guitar handle lower tunings (mostly D and drop C) better than a 24.75" one?

Thanks.

It would, however, many people play les pauls with darn low tunings - take Björn from In Flames, for instance. Thick enough strings make wonders, and with D standard and drop C I wouldn't see that huge of a difference - It's for really, really low stuff like B and A that you should consider a longer scale, and even then, baritone guitars with a 27" scale do exist. In my experience, the main difference between 24,75 and 25,5 is just about how you like your tension. I like it slightly tight, so I play guitars with a 25.5" scale with 10-48 or 10-50 sets in E Standard, or 11-52 in D Standard.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by jesus3000
quick and simple:
yes

+1

everything else being equal, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?