Could anybody recommend a good OD for 80s rock that would cover Ratt, Dokken, Warrant, LA Guns, Guns N Roses. I am currently using an Explorer and a Flying V for this project through a Crate Palomino V16. Any help would be appreciated.
MXR Dist+, MXR ZW44, Boss DS-1, BOSS OS-2 and of cource OD808 and Tubescreamer. Those all are good and a bit different.
Last edited by Ace Carson at Aug 20, 2011,
Ace,

some good recommendations there, but I am not looking for a distortion pedal, just an overdrive. The ZW44 I have tried and was not pleased with the tone. The 0D808 and the Tubescreamer are both good recommendations. Any others out there to chime in?
if your amp has enough gain on its own (or almost), i'd say tubescreamer, sd1, maybe dist+ or dod250 (haven't tried those last two, but i know they were used a fair bit), or variant thereof (lots and lots of od pedals are clones or lightly modified versions of those pedals).

EDIT: far as i'm aware the dist+ basically is an od, despite the name.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Boss OS-2 can produce a lot of fine ODs - it has a blend knob between OD and DS and has two seperate circuits in it - some fine settings could be achieved.
I will have to check the OS-2 out then. Dave, I was considering the Yngwie version of the DOD 250, I have been pretty impressed with the tone of that one. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Don't rule out "distortion" pedals. You can always set the gain on the pedal quite low and the level quite high on a distortion pedal, making it function a little more like an overdrive pedal. Which is what a lot of guys in the '80s did with Boss DS-1s. I think ruling out an old MIJ Boss DS-1 or a modified DS-1 would be a mistake.

Another "distortion" pedal that would work very well would be the Maxon SD-9, though it's a bit pricey (but a fabulous pedal).

DOD250s are nice too.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by Prophet of Page
Don't rule out "distortion" pedals. You can always set the gain on the pedal quite low and the level quite high on a distortion pedal, making it function a little more like like an overdrive pedal. Which is what a lot of guys in the '80s did with Boss DS-1s. I think ruling out an old MIJ Boss DS-1 or a modified DS-1 would be a mistake.

yep that's true
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I honestly didn't even think of using a distortion as a sort of gain boost. Thanks for the suggestion.
I love my EHX English Muff'n lot's of gain. You can change the stock 12AY7s for 12AX7s for more gain and it's got en EQ stack too
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Tubescreamers seem to be a popular choice, so another question for you all. Do you think that a BBE Green Screamer would be an acceptable option for the tone I am seeking? If not what would be a better >$120 option? Thanks again to everyone for their help.
an awful lot of od pedals are either exact clones of a tubescreamer, or very, very lightly modified versions.

Far as i'm aware the green screamer is basically a tubescreamer, though I'd like to see a schematic to be sure.

Basically probably boils down to reliability, some of the cheaper stuff is not all that reliable (not saying BBE is guilty of this, i'm just making a generalisation). But in terms of tone, it's debatable if you'd be able to tell a cheap clone of a TS from a "real" TS, especially if you're using it as a boost.

i like the tonerider stuff for reasonably cheap, but well built and reliable pedals. I haven't tried their od, though, but as far as i'm aware it's a true bypass tubescreamer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like stated, a Tubescreamer style pedal is probably your best bet.
GFS Greenie is @$50
Digitech Bad Monkey $50
Mod Tone Speed Box $50
Jet City GSOD $70
Boss BD-2 $100
BBE Green Screamer $100
Ibanez TS-9 $100
Hardwire CM-2 $100
Ibanez TS-9DX $110
Maxon OD 808 $150
Maxon OD 9 $160

To name a few in your price range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The green screamer is quite nice - had one for a while. No issues with reliability.

TS, I'd suggest a tubescreamer-based pedal with multiple clipping options, such as the CMATmods signa drive or a lovekraft mojo drive ($135 and $139 respectively). You can squeeze more tones out of those than from a stock tubescreamer.
true, but at the same time it's often quite an upcharge for only subtle variations... though i guess if you wanted to try that you could try the gfs one. it's a rebranded (gfs claims modded, no idea if it is or not ) Biyang, and my experience with Biyang's reliability hasn't been great, but it'd let you try some different clipping options on the cheap. Or even get the biyang-branded one (the od8, i think, is the model), as it lets you swap chips, too.

Though as i said, especially if using as a boost into an already overdriven amp, the differences are subtle at best. I can flip the mode switch (which i assume is selecting the standard diodes, in the middle is diode lift, and the other is something else, maybe leds?) when i'm using it to boost an already overdriven amp and i can't hear any difference. Granted I have the drive at 0, but you normally set the drive pretty close to 0 when boosting anyway, so...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Screw getting an OD, what you should get is a Marshall in a Box like a Suhr Riot.
Quote by VegasBlues
I will have to check the OS-2 out then. Dave, I was considering the Yngwie version of the DOD 250, I have been pretty impressed with the tone of that one. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I had the OS2, it was a horrible pedal
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Dave, I heard some clips of the GFS Greenie and it sounded great, that may definitely be an option for me and it won't break the bank if it's not what I'm looking for.

Steven, what was it you didn't like about the OS-2?
Quote by Dave_Mc
true, but at the same time it's often quite an upcharge for only subtle variations...

I'm comparing it to the stock standard $99 for the TS-9. And the LED clipping mode sounds way different to the TS clipping diode mode. Flat and transparent. And the boost is fat as anything. Don't know about the GFS Greenie though, it might be the same thing.
Quote by VegasBlues
Dave, I heard some clips of the GFS Greenie and it sounded great, that may definitely be an option for me and it won't break the bank if it's not what I'm looking for.

yeah

as i said, i'm not too sure on the reliability (my biyang od has been fine, but my other biyang pedals were dodgy, and even the od doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence ), but if you can get it cheap enough it might be worth a try. Though if the tonerider isn't much more... you're losing features but (hopefully) gaining reliability.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
I'm comparing it to the stock standard $99 for the TS-9. And the LED clipping mode sounds way different to the TS clipping diode mode. Flat and transparent. And the boost is fat as anything. Don't know about the GFS Greenie though, it might be the same thing.

i'm not exactly sure what the modes on the biyang are doing, i haven't looked. But i'm guessing one mode is stock tubescreamer, and the middle position i'm guessing is diode lift (as that's what it sounds like). I'm guessing the other mode is LEDs, but it could be any number of things (mosfets, asymmetrical diodes, etc.), just depending on what they picked.

I agree that the modes sound different- but if you're running it into a clean amp. Run as a boost into an already heavily distorted amp... the differences are going to be subtle at best, i'd have thought.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So, I got a great deal on the Marshall Guv'nor II and it sounds great for what I was looking for. I am also considering picking up the MXR Classic Overdrive and the BBE Green Screamer just for comparison and to have some difference. I can get both pedals for around $40 each, so with all three pedals I am still under budget. Thanks to everyone for all of their help.
for that price jump on them, if you don't like or need them you could probably still sell them on and not lose out.

The OS2 was too gimmicky, tries to do too much and ulttimately didn't manage to do any of those things as well as I'd like.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com