So i'm a huge amplifier noob. I know pretty much next to nothing, and i have 1.2grand to spend on an amp. I know what tone i want, but i have no idea where to begin. I wanna do a bit of research on the internet before i go into the stores.
Problem is most the people who have the damn tasty tones use a separate cab and head and from the research i've done so far, it looks like buying the cab and head separate is out of my budget.

NOTE: I'm just a bedroom guitarist. I've had my Vox VT30 for close to 2 years and it's a huge piece of shit for playing metal, and playing everything infact.

So i was wondering what those more knowledgeable guitarists could say about having a head and cab combo? Is it the way to go? Are there cheaper alternatives? Also, what does the head actually do? lol :p

Thank you? (:
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 20, 2011,
you mean head and cab versus combo, right?

Just combo is the usual name for an amp which has both the amp and speaker in the same box, which is kind of confusing things
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you mean head and cab versus combo, right?

Just combo is the usual name for an amp which has both the amp and speaker in the same box, which is kind of confusing things

Yes that's what i meant haha. This is how little i know about amps :c
Using a head and a cab allows you to carry physicaдly smaller and lighter objects to a gig =) Also it gives versatility as to which cab with what speakers to use and how many to stack.
Last edited by Ace Carson at Aug 20, 2011,
well a head and cab gives you more customization. you can get different cabs to change the character of your sound for example. heads also tend to have more headroom so you can push them louder with not much break up.

plenty of bands use small combos to get their tones in the studio however
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by vayne92
Yes that's what i meant haha. This is how little i know about amps :c

no worries

Quote by Ace Carson
Using a head and a cab allows you to carry physicaly smaller and lighter objects to a gig =) Also it gives versatility as to which cab with what speakers to use and how many to stack.

yep, basically.

also, most combos tend to be open-backed (not all), so going with the head allows you to use a closed-backed cab (which tend to be better for heavier music).

Also some people say that the tubes get more of a battering in a combo, because they're in the same box as the speaker. so going the head/cab route might be slightly easier on the tubes.

Though to be honest that last reason is probably going to be well down the list of priorities, if it's even a factor.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?