Page 1 of 2
As the title so gallantly states, I have a wish to be knowledgeable. I want to know a lot about a lot. History, politics, geography, sports, music, you name it. This revelation came to me while I was listening to some comedy podcast, and I realised that while it was entertaining, I spent so much time doing stuff that hardly meant anything to me.

Now - besides a real education - what's the best way to achieve this? How does one learn about the world?
Read lot's of books covering many topics. When I think of intelligence, I think of Stephen Fry - he is intelligent mostly because of the thousands of books he has read!
Live a long time.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Live a long time, get a job, read more and talk to as many people as possible.

Fixed
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Read 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

Loads of knowledge about loads of topics.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What was the comedy podcast?

If it's one I like, I'll tell you a fact.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
read stuff, talk to a lot of people about a lot of different things, go places, do things. asking the pit isn't a great start for you in your quest
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
to learn about the world... one must go out into the world.

i suggest learning about Cape buffaloes first. and the best way is to live among them!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
to learn about the world... one must go out into the world.

i suggest learning about Cape buffaloes first. and the best way is to live among them!

No, just no.
I think it's mostly due to readin, travelling, absorbing and watching documentaries

Good luck with your journey young grasshopper.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Simsimius
Lots of uni lectures for viewing here;
http://academicearth.org/subjects/

Wow that's quite a website. Thanks.

Watching a lecture on cognitive development right now.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by GaryBillington
Read 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.

Loads of knowledge about loads of topics.

love that book.

Also, on iTunes, there's something called "iTunes U" where you can download tons of free college lectures and stuff.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

have a lot of leather bound books on your shelf but don't read any of them. occasionally have one open at a random page and tell people you're in the middle of reading it.
wikipedia
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Start with some very broad books, like the Very Short Introduction To... series.

Then gradually get more specific, depending on what interests you most.
Quote by Zeletros
No, just no.

yes, just yes. what better way to learn than hands on experience?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Read a lot. Spend a lot of time at the library, and if you must be on the internet use it to learn.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Jackal58
Live a long time.

But you've lived longer than anyone, yet....
Quote by MakinLattes
Google > read first paragraph of wiki > instascholar

This is the truth.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Live a long, full life, so you can say things like this:

I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN and loved only one woman with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!

Instead of saying you have read lots of books and can quote Noam Chomsky.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Live a long, full life, so you can say things like this:

*quote*

He sounds like he would only have a high degree of specialized knowledge pertaining to military matters and be a complete ignoramus aside from that. The OP wants to know a lot of information about varied topics, which would be impossible without reading a lot in our short lifetimes.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
Don't forget philosophy. You can't be a real intellectual without philosophy.

Fixed
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by RU Experienced?
He sounds like he would only have a high degree of specialized knowledge pertaining to military matters and be a complete ignoramus aside from that. The OP wants to know a lot of information about varied topics, which would be impossible without reading a lot in our short lifetimes.

Pfft, no way. You've obviously never seen secondhand lions For what it's worth, I love reading and read lots of books, but I'm also not fool enough to throw life experiences and wisdom attained through folly and first-hand experience. A good balance of both will obviously produce the most well rounded intellectual, which should ultimately be the goal of any knowledge seeker
Quote by RU Experienced?
Primary source documents.

i could tell you about living among the buffaloes until you are ready to puke, but you'll never know what it's really like until you do it yourself.
Quote by Dreadnought

Noam Chomsky probably isn't a bad model if you want to be knowledgeable about a lot of different stuff. Watching that guy debate is something else, he pulls massive amounts of disparate facts from various fields out of his head on a constant basis.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ways to learn about the world:
1. Read
2. Watch
3. Explore
4. Interact
5. ??????
6. PROFIT!

But seriously, first 4 are gold.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Quote by theogonia777
i could tell you about living among the buffaloes until you are ready to puke, but you'll never know what it's really like until you do it yourself.

Then the entire school of Archaeology is quite a big blunder, don't you think?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Noam Chomsky probably isn't a bad model if you want to be knowledgeable about a lot of different stuff. Watching that guy debate is something else, he pulls massive amounts of disparate facts from various fields out of his head on a constant basis.

I used him because of the proliferation of his name on this forum

On this topic though I'm reminded of a quote that I really like by Emerson in one of my favorite essays, The American Scholar:

Meek young men grow up in libraries believing it their duty to accept the views which Cicero, which Locke, which Bacon have given, forgetful that Cicero, Locke, and Bacon were only young men in libraries when they wrote these books.
Quote by Ahteh
As the title so gallantly states, I have a wish to be knowledgeable. I want to know a lot about a lot. History, politics, geography, sports, music, you name it. This revelation came to me while I was listening to some comedy podcast, and I realised that while it was entertaining, I spent so much time doing stuff that hardly meant anything to me.

Now - besides a real education - what's the best way to achieve this? How does one learn about the world?

Just do it. People say, "I could have been learning a language" or "I should've picked up the guitar", but nothing was holding you back other than your laziness and inability to just get started.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Page 1 of 2