Hello again, Just something else i would like to throw out there. Im curious on other peoples opinions of entry level guitars (around the £100-£200 mark) what do you guys think of them? and how do they measure up to the more expensive guitars? The thing is i have a Stagg X300 and once i had set it up properly and put new strings on it the guitar is just briliiant. I have a BC rich Ironbird 1 which is a little bit more expensive and in my honest opinion i think the Stagg has a much nicer sound. Any of you guys found the same thing?
I like cheap guitars. So long as you avoid the extremely cheap ones (the type which come as a full package including amp for about £80) there are a lot of very good buys out there. I have a Stagg Mockingbird and think its quite good, and a Gould LP and think it's awesome. I also have a couple of guitars made by Wesley which I enjoy.

I've had a few Gibsons, Gretsch's and Fenders over the years, but I think I enjoy playing cheap guitars more. With the expensive guitars I never felt I was doing them justice (I'm not a brilliant player), and was always concerned about damaging them. With cheap guitars I'm much more relaxed and find that helps my playing.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Some cheap guitars are gems, but most are just that... a cheap guitar.

I have a G-400 that cost $299 new and with a p/u swap is an extreamly good guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Some cheap guitars are gems, but most are just that... a cheap guitar.

+1

sometimes you'll just come across a good one, or a model which is good with a few upgrades. But a lot of the time, the cost of the upgrades would just have bought you a better guitar which already had the upgrades.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I still have my first guitar, a cheap Squier Strat. It doesn't stay in tune for a song, it sounds horrible... but it feels better than most expensive guitars I have tried. Really easy and smooth to play. I sometimes practice on it unplugged when I don't want to play my main guitar.

I also used to have an Ibanez GRG170DX: another great entry-level guitar. Extremely comfortable and it sounded very good, almost like a $700+ guitar. I kinda wish I still had it, because it was amazing for the price.
I really don't like cheap guitars. Mainly because they all have poor tuners and parts that wear out easy. I'm willing to pay for guitars that have real good hardware and electronics. My favorite guitar that I own has Seymour Duncan pickups, grover tuners and an original floyd rose bridge. Was worth every penny and there's not a cheap guitar I've played that can rival it. Friend of mine has 2 American Custom Strats. They blow away any squier.

Don't get me wrong, cheap guitars are good if you're beginning or if you just need something to play. But if you want a real investment that is going to last you, I'd always advise to pay for good quality. Not saying you should pay $1,500+ on every guitar, just know the difference between cheap and value-for-the-money.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by ThrashMetal014
Not saying you should pay $1,500+ on every guitar, just know the difference between cheap and value-for-the-money.

yep, exactly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
now what i'm about to say is a massive generalisation but here's the way i see it:

if you get a cheap guitar set up properly with the frets levelled and the nut cut properly or replaced completely if it's a crap nut, it can play as well as any high end guitar. throwing in some nice pickups can really improve the sound, too.

however that doesn't change the fact that it's a cheap guitar, it still has its limitations and by the time you've spent all that time and money improving a cheap guitar you'd probably have been better off just getting something better quality in the first place, imo. although it depends on the guitar in question really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
now what i'm about to say is a massive generalisation but here's the way i see it:

if you get a cheap guitar set up properly with the frets levelled and the nut cut properly or replaced completely if it's a crap nut, it can play as well as any high end guitar. throwing in some nice pickups can really improve the sound, too.

however that doesn't change the fact that it's a cheap guitar, it still has its limitations and by the time you've spent all that time and money improving a cheap guitar you'd probably have been better off just getting something better quality in the first place, imo. although it depends on the guitar in question really.

This is a very good way to put it, with out bashing budget friendly guitars.

But to add one thing the quality of the tone woods, will never be as good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Take a look at the Squier Classic Vibe Telecasters. Amazing guitar for the money. Good guitars don't have to cost a ton of money.
Quote by Blompcube

I absolutely agree. I have fixed up tons of cheapy guitars by leveling the frets and setting them up. After the work. the owners of these guitars are floored by how well their old instruments play. Having a level set of frets and a good setup is really 75% of what makes a good guitar (other things include cosmetics, good pickups, proper weight and balance--which is very rare, even in higher end guitars, etc.).

Anyway, having said that, I would recommend to the OP the low-end Yamaha Pacifica guitars. They are very high quality for the price and I'm pretty sure they only cost in the neighborhood of $150 (and hopefully for the OP the dollar becomes weaker due to the lower interest rates recently imposed by the Fed).
The key to finding a good cheap guitar isn't research, it's hands on. I've played some Squiers (even affinities) that I look up at the store tech and give him the "Why's this play so damned good?" face. Then there have been some Deluxe MIM Strats where I do the exact opposite.

Just play around until you find the one that the shop accidentally made into a gem.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER