I'm a huge metal player and after reading the reviews this amp seems like it would be one of the best options for my $1200 budget.

Only problem is though i play a lot of metal, i do enjoy classical style fingerpicking, clean arpeggios etc.
I was wondering if anyone has this amp or has played it before, and has anything to say about the pros and cons of this amp? Is the clean channel as bad as the reviewers say? Are there better options for 1.2grand and if so would anyone care to mention?

Thank you (:

http://www.artiesmusic.com.au/product_detail.php?prd_code=6505%20PLUS%20COMBO

EDIT:

Budget? $1200. Could wait and stretch it slightly but would rather not.

Genres? My favourite guitarist is Synyster Gates so i play a lot of Avenged Sevenfold. I also play lots of Trivium, Metallica and Parkway Drive. I do like nice sounding cleans because i enjoy fingerpicking and clean arpeggios etc but i dominantly play typical metal.

New or Used?
New

Home or Gig?
Only home

Closest City? Perth, Western Australia

Current Gear? Guitars: Ibanez RGT6EXFX, Amp: Vox VT30
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 20, 2011,
the 6505+ is made for hi-gain and doen't do cleans extreamly well. Thats not saying it can't do cleans, but you may find it extreamly hard to dial in an acceptable tone.

Have you thought of looking into a used JSX/XXX/Ultra combo? They can do metal and have useable clean ch's.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
With 1200 you can get way better.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Guys he's in Aus, everything costs your left bollock there.

You'll struggle to get a decent clean tone out of it, although it isn't as bad as everyone says it is... I just looked through one or two Australian websites to get an idea of price... I might try out the Jet City 50w, but I'm not sure it'll get heavy enough on its own... perhaps if it doesn't, Jet City 50w + OD Pedal would be ok? I found the combo for $1000AUD which leaves $200 for a good OD?

Also, can you buy used? You might be able to get yourself an ENGL or maybe a Mesa if you did.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Also, can you buy used? You might be able to get yourself an ENGL or maybe a Mesa if you did.

I could buy used, it's something i generally don't do when buying anything, but i could give it a shot. Problem is i wouldn't know where to begin looking for a used amp and i wouldn't know whether or not i'm getting a good deal cos i know next to nothing about what makes a good amp.
I wasnt aware he was located in australia ive heard bad things about gear over there on here though. To be honest its not a bad amp at all, a lot of people talk shit. But im not going to say its the best amp.

As far as cleans, i can get a decently bluesy clean out of mine, but fender cleans are completely out of the question. But for high gain, it does have a big set of balls for a 112.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
A 6505+ 112 with a 5751 in V1 has plenty of clean headroom. Good amp for the metal though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
One of the few things that you can score for decent prices over here are Marshalls - that's why everybody and their dog plays one. You may be able to score a used DSL for that money if you have some patience. You won't get much new for the money you have - used is your best bet.
That 6505 is a pretty good price. I doubt you'll do much better than that unless you go used.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 21, 2011,
Bugera 333XL ... with a bugera cab (inexpensive) 2x12 - the 4x12 doesn't really sound good.

I have the 6505+ 112 .. OK clean, but I use my V22 for cleans now
I have the 6505+ 112, and I recently got a TC. Electronics Hall of Fame reverb pedal for it - the cleans are unbelieveable now! The on-board reverb of the amp is nothing special, but with this pedal, my cleans have gotten so much shimmer it's a night and day difference. And of course, the lead channel is still brutal as all hell...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
i have one, the cleans are actually much better than what people say. idk why everyone expects a peavey amp to have fender cleans, thats not how it works lol. just eq it good, maybe get a 10 band in there and it'll work fine.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby