Page 1 of 3
Seriously, Ive never given it much thought, but at this present day vinyls seem so old fashioned and 'ancient' technology, but how come people demand vinyls of theyr favourite artists?

Ive always believed todays formats digitals(mp3,flacs and stuff),phisicals tapes(old),CD's,and some new high rez audio stuff are superior to 'those' old vinyls stuffz.

How is that i see opinions(maybe facts?) that vinyls actualy hold better audio quality than CD's?

Is this true? And if so, why shift to these 'crappy' CD's and digital storages?
Can a vinyl outsmoke a CD?
Digital technology came into existence. A lot of people liked it better.

To your "vinyl is better audio quality" thing, it's all a matter of taste. Some people simply like the sound of vinyl more.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Vinyl offers a different sound quality when played then a CD, little more grungy than its silver counterpart.

Also, the record is still the symbol of the music industry
There's this thing, called opinion. It's where two people hear the same thing but like it to be slightly different.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
yes. think of it this way:

digital rounds off things. like when you take a digital picture, and you zoom in, and it's pixelated. no matter how high res, it will eventually get pixely. analog photos, with film, don't have this. the same is true with audio. though in either case with modern technology, it's got high enough definition that you wouldn't ever notice.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
When CDs were first released, people got excited and ditched their vinyl in favour of new, exciting technology that took up less space and delivered consistent quality. During this time, vinyl was VERY cheap, because no one wanted it. Fast forward to today and the opposite is true, for the most part.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I'm being biased here sort of: I don't care. I never had or heard music from a vinyl record. I started off with cassette tapes, CD's and now digital players. I like the option that is most convenient. I listen to music for hours and I like the fact that I can just switch to any song without swapping cd's, tapes, or records.
It's probably because CD's are easier to use than vinyl. Which is a shame because i prefer vinyl it's cooler
I listen to music for hours and I like the fact that I can just switch to any song without swapping cd's, tapes, or records.

That is a bad thing. Albums are not merely a collection of random songs, they are a single entity which should be listened to as the artist intended you to hear them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
That is a bad thing. Albums are not merely a collection of random songs, they are a single entity which should be listened to as the artist intended you to hear them.

Prove to me it's a bad thing.
Vinyls are making a comeback. A month ago I went to a bestbuy in the US and they had a HUGE vinyl section
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by GaryBillington

That's why singles are often spawned off albums.
Strength Of The Inferno, Mind Of The Heavens, Speed Of The Tempest, Thus, a miracle was born.
http://www.last.fm/user/RobertELeet
Jackson Warrior
Ibanez Artcore AG85
Squire Affinity J-Bass

VIKINGS

UG Black
Quote by theogonia777
yes. think of it this way:

digital rounds off things. like when you take a digital picture, and you zoom in, and it's pixelated. no matter how high res, it will eventually get pixely. analog photos, with film, don't have this. the same is true with audio. though in either case with modern technology, it's got high enough definition that you wouldn't ever notice.

Yes, they do. Ever heard of film grain?
Can't play vinyl in a car.
CD's are more durable.
CD's take up less space.
CD's are actually better quality than vinyl.

People want vinyl because they like to think they're not conforming...or some sh!t like that.
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Sampling at or above the Nyquist frequency, twice the highest of all frequencies in your data stream, will guarantee lossless A/D conversion. Since human hearing range is about 20Hz - 20KHz, sampling must be done at 40KHz and above. 44.1 is a technical decision.

CDs are more robust, smaller, able to store more information, and offer precision.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Aug 20, 2011,
I think vinyl is more of a novelty.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Dirge Humani
Yes, they do. Ever heard of film grain?

i think you may have missed something there. remember that you're reading one of my posts.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by GaryBillington

Quote by GaryBillington

That tells me that albums are a bad thing, from a strictly business perspective. Take a look at the culture you live in. Hell, how many people do you know who a) can afford to buy music often enough to matter and b) have time to sit and listen to entire albums at a time and c) choose to do so? Most of the time we spend listening to lots of music at a time is while commuting. In a car. Or train. Or bus. Or plane. These aren't environments well-suited to touchy and cumbersome record players. Who is still buying larger amounts of vinyl? DJs who don't care for digital-format mixing or who use it to scratch. And they're even only buying singles and EPs.

Digital wins for a reason.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Zeletros

of course it is bad. the artist took all that time to put standalone tracks in a super special order. if you didn't listen to it straight through in order, you obviously can't get the same effect. even if you've already heard the whole thing before 69 times.
Cd's took over because they're more portable. However, having a vinyl is still cool. I mean, the huge cover and the record... it's just cool. You can hang them up. Like, I've got 3 copies of the original Peace Sells 1985 release by Megadeth. One is signed, one is for listening, and the other serves as wall art and decoration.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by theogonia777
of course it is bad. the artist took all that time to put standalone tracks in a super special order. if you didn't listen to it straight through in order, you obviously can't get the same effect. even if you've already heard the whole thing before 69 times.

I know you're just being a dick but tracklisting is more important than it gets credit for.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

To anyone who doesn't really understand how CD's and stuff can never have the same quality as vinyl, here's an image of analog vs digital wavelength's

Analog (vinyl) will have pretty much the same quality as when it was recorded. This is due to the grooves and whatnot in the vinyl and how you have to really upkeep them to keep them in quality.

In order for digital to be mass produced or digitized, they have to be put through a computer, which can't completely recreate the original wavelength. It can be made to be pretty damn close to the original quality, but it will always be in the way shown above, pretty close to the original, but it can't completely match it no matter how many edges you make on it (think ones and zeroes).

Think of it this way, if you sing out loud right now, it wouldn't be in ones and zeroes, but if you recorded it on a computer, it would have to be made into that form, which will compress it, even a small bit, in order for it to work. And this digitization is the reason you can burn cd's with whatever songs you want, but can't do the same thing for vinyls. So even though it's almost impossible to hear the difference once you get to a certain point, if you want the very purest sound quality you have to go with vinyl. However portability and stuff plays a role in this and that's why vinyl went out of style for a while.

I'm sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense, I'm not in the best state right now, but hopefully that cleared some stuff up.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Last edited by lushacrous at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by theogonia777

That's a matter of opinion.

I might not like a few songs of the album, I might want to listen to only the soft or only the heavy songs depending on time, I might just want to listen to this one song.
I'd bet my left nut that most people couldn't tell the difference between vinyl and an MP3 with the sound of bacon frying in the background.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by DocArunas
Seriously, Ive never given it much thought, but at this present day vinyls seem so old fashioned and 'ancient' technology, but how come people demand vinyls of theyr favourite artists?

Ive always believed todays formats digitals(mp3,flacs and stuff),phisicals tapes(old),CD's,and some new high rez audio stuff are superior to 'those' old vinyls stuffz.

How is that i see opinions(maybe facts?) that vinyls actualy hold better audio quality than CD's?

Is this true? And if so, why shift to these 'crappy' CD's and digital storages?
Can a vinyl outsmoke a CD?

And our children will be saying the same thing about CDs as digital downloading will be the most preferred format. I personally don't see a difference in sound. It's just that CDs last longer, are more portable, and much easier to play and use.

Also you can burn your CDs onto a computer, and then transfer them to your iPod/MP3 player. So you can listen to your CD in the car, on your iPod, and on your computer; without ever actually touching your CD physically. Genius. This is why CD is more popular.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
I'd bet my left nut that most people couldn't tell the difference between vinyl and an MP3 with the sound of bacon frying in the background.

Most people don't prefer to listen to music in the kitchen.

I can definitely tell the difference between an mp3 at 128/192kbps and 320 kbps, but from there on I think it mostly depends on your stereo set-up.
Quote by frankv

I can definitely tell the difference between an mp3 at 128/192kbps and 320 kbps, but from there on I think it mostly depends on your stereo set-up.

Well duh, when your players shows that information
Quote by frankv

If I remember right, Tom Waits used to use the sound of bacon frying to simulate vinyl.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I really want to start buying vinyl but I'm not ditching digital. I heard a Beatles album on vinyl once and it sounded a lot different to me. So I thought it would be fun to buy albums that were originally released on vinyl and not CD. Hear it how it was intended to be.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Zeletros
Well duh, when your players shows that information

Not sure what youtube runs at, but the difference is pretty clear between 240p and 360p (screen sizes). If I had to take an uneducated guess, it's probably not dissimilar.
Quote by Mudmen190
Not sure what youtube runs at, but the difference is pretty clear between 240p and 360p (screen sizes). If I had to take an uneducated guess, it's probably not dissimilar.

Oh man, youtube doesn't count, it has it's own way of compressing video and audio
Another reason that hasn't been mentioned is that we may be seeing rising sales in vinyl because our population is getting older on average. So now, many of the older generation are have nostalgia for things they recogonize from their youth, like vinyl.

I'm not sure that I've worded that the best, but I can't figure out exactly how to reword it, so I hope it makes sense.
Quote by lushacrous
To anyone who doesn't really understand how CD's and stuff can never have the same quality as vinyl, here's an image of analog vs digital wavelength's
*explanation of digital sampling*

Fun fact:
When a recorded digital signal is reproduced, the signal is filtered to reduce the "square" edges of the waveform envelope. The recovered signal that is actually sent to the amplifier and speakers is a much closer approximation of the original than you might think. Of course, there are imperfections, but on a high quality recording they are not noticable to the human ear.
If you base your judgement of digital sound quality on a 128mbit/s MP3 file, then obviously you're not going to recognise its advantages.

No recording process is perfect, and even if you only use analog media, the result will not be an exact representation of the original sound. Just the fact that vinyl records are "analogue" does not mean that their sound quality is objectively better, although it is different.
Well, people doesn't scream about what's there; you here the demand of vynil because there isn't a significant absence of CD's.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by GaryBillington

That's only the case if:

1. The artist was actually doing that.

2. We are obligated to listen to them.
Quote by lushacrous

Analog (vinyl) will have pretty much the same quality as when it was recorded. This is due to the grooves and whatnot in the vinyl and how you have to really upkeep them to keep them in quality.

In order for digital to be mass produced or digitized, they have to be put through a computer, which can't completely recreate the original wavelength. It can be made to be pretty damn close to the original quality, but it will always be in the way shown above, pretty close to the original, but it can't completely match it no matter how many edges you make on it (think ones and zeroes).

Think of it this way, if you sing out loud right now, it wouldn't be in ones and zeroes, but if you recorded it on a computer, it would have to be made into that form, which will compress it, even a small bit, in order for it to work. And this digitization is the reason you can burn cd's with whatever songs you want, but can't do the same thing for vinyls. So even though it's almost impossible to hear the difference once you get to a certain point, if you want the very purest sound quality you have to go with vinyl. However portability and stuff plays a role in this and that's why vinyl went out of style for a while.

I'm sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense, I'm not in the best state right now, but hopefully that cleared some stuff up.

Prove to me that the universe is analog, and not actually digital, and I'll listen to you.
Quote by captaincrunk
Prove to me that the universe is analog, and not actually digital, and I'll listen to you.

Your statement shows a lack of understanding of analog and digital. Would you like me to explain?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Your statement shows a lack of understanding of analog and digital. Would you like me to explain?

Your DNA is digital. Why should your music not be?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 3