Hey, so I have an Ibanez SZ520 with EMG 81/60 combo, it's a great guitar but I just never clicked with it, not a huge fan of the action or the way it's bridge feels (it has a pretty unique one).

Anyway I most play on it C tuning with .12's (occasionally I'll go to B or C#). Maybe every few months I would put .9's and tune it back to standard, adjusting the action and intonation myself. I also think the guitar isn't the best for using thick strings like that...

Anyway I'm thinking about selling it and getting something new for this purpose. I guess my price would be anywhere between $500-1000, not too picky. I've heard some good things about the Jackson DKMGT, and also I recently came across the Schecter Damien Elite Solo DMG, which looks pretty slick.

Any recommendations or advise would be appreciated. Thanks
It doesn't really matter what guitar you use that much - they all can be set up for drop tuning and thick strings.

To make things easier, You would probably want to look at something with a fixed bridge since it will be easier to setup. Floyd's require some special setups for stuff like that.

Something you also might want to consider is scale length. Playing a guitar downtuned like that on a shorter scale will cause a lot of slack, something with a longer 25.5 in scale, or something with an extended 26.5 in scale will be better for the lower stuff.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I've got an ibanez s370 Dx with afloyd rose that I have setup for B tuning (b F# Etc.) and can even put it in b standard tuning (B E A Etc.) I took the springs out of the floyd and block it with wood, put on a set of .11-.70's ( I think they're GHS Boomers designed for low tuning. The thicker bottom string makes up for the loss of tension with standard gauges. I did the setup, intonated and the tone at low tunings is actually pretty awesome. Other sets tuned without the very heavy bottom wouldnt hold tune well and the tone was horrible. I experimented with the gauge and was thrilled with the result maybe try it out. Otherwise a baritone scale guitar or 7- string. I'm actually considering getting a 7 string myself just so I could have the best of both worlds, its a thought in progress.....
Quote by stonyman65
It doesn't really matter what guitar you use that much - they all can be set up for drop tuning and thick strings.

To make things easier, You would probably want to look at something with a fixed bridge since it will be easier to setup. Floyd's require some special setups for stuff like that.

Something you also might want to consider is scale length. Playing a guitar downtuned like that on a shorter scale will cause a lot of slack, something with a longer 25.5 in scale, or something with an extended 26.5 in scale will be better for the lower stuff.

Thanks, the SZ520 has a 25.1" scale, so that might be it. I tried using .11's on it before but with 2 different brands the G string was dead. .11's are a bit too light though for anything lower than C# I found. Also with certain .12's, the low E string wouldn't fit all the way in the plastic neck guard/rest or whatever and I didn't really want to mess around or file it out.

Maybe the guitar just wasn't set up right, but I just found it a lot harder to get the action good on thicker strings. It was fine with .9's in E standard, but with .12's I had trouble getting it setup good without fret buzz, or too high action.

But I had no idea about the scale affecting it, I'll probably look for a 25.5 at least.

edit: both DKMGT and the elite solo are 25.5". Also have been checking out the SLSMG soloist...but those Jacksons don't come in anything other than black (maybe white), might be a bit too metal looking for me.
Last edited by DZ302 at Aug 20, 2011,
well 25.5 is probably the smallest scale length you want, i think 26.5 would be optimal but ive only seen that on like 7 string schecters
Quote by Seanthesheep
well 25.5 is probably the smallest scale length you want, i think 26.5 would be optimal but ive only seen that on like 7 string schecters

Do you have any recommendations for a 26.5" guitar? I have no idea how to search for something like that.
Quote by DZ302
Do you have any recommendations for a 26.5" guitar? I have no idea how to search for something like that.

Ibanez RGD line.
So I'm in love with that Schecter and think I'm going to go ahead and buy it. I'm selling both my guitar and amp, going to replace the amp with a desktop pod, but not sure if I should replace the guitar or amp first, I don't think I want to do both at the same time, anyway just a question, since there is more tension on the strings, do the strings need to be thicker? I was normally playing .12's, sometimes .13's for C tuning on my SZ520, 25.1". If I were to get that Schecter (26.5"), would .11's be good for C?