I came up with this texas blues inspired strat, it'll have a texas special in the neck, a little 59 in the middle, and a gold lace in the bridge, it'll also have barb wire inlays, heavy relic finish, and instead of the normal "horns" I'll cut them off and put actual bull horns on them, like this:
Now my question is, is it possible to do this? Could I glue them on after cutting off the original wood there, or would I have to do something to screw them on? Thanks guys! This idea might sound strange, but I want to do it.
Attachments:
mech bull.jpg
I would try the dowel joint or a biscuit for that and some epoxy for the adhesive.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
How would I go about doing these joints? (sorry newb here) I'm just glad no one's ripped on me yet for this idea!
You can Google those joints and the methods to make them, it's pretty simple and straight forward.

Also, you're probably gonna have a hard time finding bull horns that are that short and stubby. Just sayin'

EDIT: I'm not sure if cutting on horn anything like bone, cutting/filing/shaping bone gives off the worst smell and it's real hard stuff. You'll need a quality set of shaping/cutting tools made from high-speed steel (or something comparable) to whittle around on bone, otherwise you'll just chew up your general woodworking tools.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
How would I go about doing these joints? (sorry newb here) I'm just glad no one's ripped on me yet for this idea!

Dowel joint with glue for sure. Glue alone won't provide the strength.
Google dowel joint and look at the images page. Will give you a good visual idea of what it is.
Quote by Flux'D
You can Google those joints and the methods to make them, it's pretty simple and straight forward.

Also, you're probably gonna have a hard time finding bull horns that are that short and stubby. Just sayin'

EDIT: I'm not sure if cutting on horn anything like bone, cutting/filing/shaping bone gives off the worst smell and it's real hard stuff. You'll need a quality set of shaping/cutting tools made from high-speed steel (or something comparable) to whittle around on bone, otherwise you'll just chew up your general woodworking tools.

That's what I'm planning on doing, is cutting the horn, I'll either use a handsaw (probably won't work) Or my dads chainsaw, but I'd cut the wood before the horn.
A hacksaw would be my weapon of choice, then an angle grinder when I got bored of that. Definitely want a dust mask if you're going down the power tool route, fine bone powder probably isn't the nicest coating for your lungs.
Also, will the horns be hollow? If they are it could make dowel or biscuit joints quite difficult, you may need to fill them with something first (maybe epoxy, though it wouldn't be overly cheap).
is that ur guitar? cuz ur guitar's finish looks killer.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
is that ur guitar? cuz ur guitar's finish looks killer.

I wish it was haha, it was just kind of close to how I''ll do the finish for this idea, only it'll be more brown instead of black, first I've got to find a body, then all of the other parts, this is just an idea in my head at the moment, but I am saving money to do this!

As for the horns I'm not sure, they will more than likely be hollow so they can fit over the cut off parts, I will be using one of the 2 joints, and fortunately a while back I bought a whole tube of epoxy, so I'm good on that, I really hope I can get the funds for this considering I'm 14, jobless, and only have 28 bucks to my name lol
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
That's what I'm planning on doing, is cutting the horn, I'll either use a handsaw (probably won't work) Or my dads chainsaw, but I'd cut the wood before the horn.

Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Or my dads chainsaw

A hacksaw with a good blade will do the job. A chainsaw will leave it looking like you tried to chew the horn down to size.
Quote by Momentosis
You guys are getting raped and killed?

Quote by jonathan666666

You win.

In The Amber
Come check us out!
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

A hacksaw with a good blade will do the job. A chainsaw will leave it looking like you tried to chew the horn down to size.

Oh ok thanks man, I hope I can get the funding for this idea O: