Page 1 of 2
Im gonna get a modeling amp and i was looking at these amps:

Line 6 spider IV 75 watt (prob not)

Peavey vypyr 75 watt

Vox Valvetronix+ 80 Watt

I am just wondering which has the most brutal dist. or overdrive.
Peavey Vypyr.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Cube 80XL
Randall RM100 (if you can call that a modeling amp..)
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I second the vypyr. i wouldn't worry about the most brutal distortion, but the vypyr has the best tone of the 3 imo.
vypyr, spider sounds too digital, and valvetronix can't handle well high gain, personally I prefer Fender Mustang, the Vypyr is slightly better for metal, but the mustang is better at other tones, plus, more wattage and a celestion speaker for the same price.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Peavey Vypyrs IMO are horrible - thats just my opinion though. I plugged up through a couple at the shop and was simply disgusted.

The Vox Valvetronix line is awesome but the + ones are a little lacking. If you can find an Vox AD30 Valvetronix(VT), those are the older ones and sound much better.

Roland Cubes are pretty brutal, very nice metal tone for a solid state.

Dont go with the Line 6 Spider unless its a Link 6 Spider Valve - The SS are shitty but the Valves are phenomenal.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
The Cube is definitely brutal enough for all types of metal, but it has a little more digital tone compared to the Vypyr. Still a amazing amp though, I had one for 3 years and it was great.
What do you mean by "brutal"? You're basing your amp purchase only on amount of gain? That's not a smart approach.

The Vypyr would be the best for metal IMO. Also take a look at the Roland cube series.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Hunter44
bet spider valves and perhaps Randall T2 are out of TS budget

T2 isnt a modeling amp either.
The vypyr is pretty awesome for a modelling amp in my opinion especially once you come to grips with the controls you can get some decent tones
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Quote by Poglia
The Cube is definitely brutal enough for all types of metal, but it has a little more digital tone compared to the Vypyr. Still a amazing amp though, I had one for 3 years and it was great.

+1 I've had my cube for 4 years and it still works and sounds great.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
If you have enough budget then the Line 6 DT50 and POD500HD. A review I read had one lined up next to a JCM800 and they couldn't tell the difference apparently. Otherwise I hear the Vypyr is pretty good for distortion.
The Roland Cubes are the only modeling amps I've played through (at Guitar Center) that produced a tone pleasing to my ears - and I was going through pedals in front of it. But I'm not really a fan of amp modeling in the first place (I don't think the technology has been sufficiently developed to be quite that good yet), so I can't give a particularly constructive suggestion (as I feel the temptation to say "screw that" and suggest boutique tube amps).

All I can say in good faith is that my ears tell me that the Cubes aren't bad for a solid state modeler.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by JesusCrisp
Maybe, but the Spider has the most insane tone.

If insane means complete shit sound, yes
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by bluekirby7
If insane means complete shit sound, yes

It was a joke. He was referring to the spider's infamous "insane' amp model.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
dude go for an MG it has the crushing overdrive

on a serious note go with the roland cube
I bought a used Peavey Triple X at Guitar Center for 300.00. I have a Pod xt Live and A Pod HD500 and I can tell you that the Triple X has a much warmer and better tone than the Pods and it will give you a more brutal sound anyday. The triple X has tons of distortion I turn the gain to about 3 or 4 and it is very very heavy.

I have played around with modelers and I can tell you get a tube amp for metal and you will be much happier. B-52 AT-100 is another cheap and very brutal sounding high gain amp that is cheap. I have played both amps and both are very good high gain tube amps.
My budget is only around $200. Im not looking for anything really special but just something i can do small gigs on and use for practise at home. Im open to a cheap tube i guess.
A Vypyr 75 used is your best bet. I had one for a while; it was very, very loud.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Might be able to find a used Peavey Valveking for 200 to 250 they are pretty good metal amps.
Quote by Syrnix
Might be able to find a used Peavey Valveking for 200 to 250 they are pretty good metal amps.

1. not an modeling amp
2. awful for brt00tz.

TS I'd look into the most expensive Vypyr you can afford.
1. Buy Peavey Transtube
2. Buy Boss HM-2
3. ???
4. Profit!

The Peavey Vypyr might be a better choice though, since you need metalcore too. It sounds the best out of what you want listed. The spider has more gain, and it's more "brootal", but it doesn't sound nearly as good. It's important to remember that gain ≠ tone. So that's something you'll have to decide for yourself in the store.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
just get a chainsaw and play that for uber br00talz
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by epiphone316
Im gonna get a modeling amp and i was looking at these amps:

Line 6 spider IV 75 watt (prob not)

Peavey vypyr 75 watt

Vox Valvetronix+ 80 Watt

I am just wondering which has the most brutal dist. or overdrive.

Vox ad100vt-xl
Used of course they dont make them any more
The xl series from vox was there high gain series better than a vypyr, spider, new vox vt.

Or a used line 6 flextone.
If you want a tube amp up your budget to $400-500 and start looking for used 2x12 5150s.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I've owned a couple of roland cubes and they are good practice amps, but I must say that I'm most impressed with the tone of the peavey vypyr models--the 30 watt one can be had for $199 and it sounds great.
peavey vypr wins out of your options. but if you can go with the vypr tube. or a 6505 112.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by JesusCrisp
Maybe, but the Spider has the most insane tone.

Lmao

edit: ditch modelling, 6505 112 go
Line 6 Spider Valve or Peavey Vyper Tube

EDIT : And the L6 HD147,Line6 Vetta, Flextone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by stonyman65
Cube 80XL
Randall RM100 (if you can call that a modeling amp..)

Yes. The RM100 does, in fact, mimic or "model" the sound of other amps.

It's approximately this brutal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-FvrhQS7s4&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuUGYjqCHMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXrHXYdpZno
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
im selling a flextone if your interested. its got the probably the best of line 6's models from br00tz to jazz n stuff. 75 w, loud, great bass response. only thing , bass is a little loose on the high gain models so an OD is nice to drive it a bit. also, upgraded to wgs v30 speaker clone
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Shinozoku
Yes. The RM100 does, in fact, mimic or "model" the sound of other amps.

It's approximately this brutal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-FvrhQS7s4&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuUGYjqCHMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXrHXYdpZno

but its important to note that its not digital, the "modules" are actually copies of the guts of the pre amps of the amp they r replicating.

and the Ola Englund vid u showed, shows just awesome it can be.
Last edited by ampoverload at Aug 21, 2011,
Ax fx
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by M_16A
Ax fx

Yes that an the eleven rack are good, but the ar only preamps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 to whoever mentioned used Flextone

I suggest looking into POD HD 300, even better modeling (pre amp), you can use it to record, practice (through headphones or POD->PA)
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Page 1 of 2