I can shred fast enough on a single string, the problem is when I switch strings
i.e I am playing e phrygian dominant scale, E - e, when switching to 6th string down to
5th string, when i do it fast it gets a little messy, I do chromatic scales exercises it helps
my accuracy, but I guess my problem revolves around my picking technique, any advice?
Character: Guitarist =(
Level: 1 =(((((((
Like almost every answer to a speed-related question, start wih a metronome and build up speed. It's sloppy because you're not accurate and need to practice it slowly and build up speed just like in the good ol' days when you first learned how to shred.

To summarise; speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Thanks for the replies, ok, i'll work on that can you suggest songs that are short? about a minute or two, a shredding song, or not a song it may be just an instrumental, or anything i can play with a backing track,
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/lesson_guitar/beginners_guide_to_shredding_part_1_power_tab.htm

All sorts in there. You can adjust the speed using Guitar Tux/ Power Tab/ Guitar Pro etc etc string/skipping and basic runs are in there which'll really help.

EDIT: Play this over an Am or C backing track. There's also a part 2.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Aug 20, 2011,
Try practicing your technique with putting as little physical effort into it as possible. Rather than lifting your pick over a string when you are switching, try to find a way to just flick your pick straight there. Like in race car driving, you want the distance that your hands/fingers travel on your guitar to be as short as you can possibly get it and I find this to be an excellent way to develop speed. Also, relaxing your arm is pretty much essential, not only does it give you more endurance but it makes it easier to do finer movements with your pick. Sometimes people's arms just don't have the strength to pick like that, so if you're a twig like me I would recommend doing some kind of light strength training before you pick up your guitar. You want limber muscle, not bodybuilder muscle. Sometimes simply playing slowly with a metronome isn't enough; experiment with different picking methods and don't be afraid to work out if you feel that your picking arm is holding you back.

Hope that was helpful!
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Threadstarter, I suspect you're picking from the elbow with a fair bit of tension. You need to start slow and start training your ability to cross strings - I'd suggest you start with strict alternate picking, and you can do this with ANY song you like, just make sure it's within easy reach while you correct and train your picking.

And, 'scuse me Jim Dawson, but relativism =/= general relativity.

You might want to replace that link with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativism
Quote by Freepower
Threadstarter, I suspect you're picking from the elbow with a fair bit of tension. You need to start slow and start training your ability to cross strings - I'd suggest you start with strict alternate picking, and you can do this with ANY song you like, just make sure it's within easy reach while you correct and train your picking.

And, 'scuse me Jim Dawson, but relativism =/= general relativity.

You might want to replace that link with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativism

Yeah, I thought about that a long time ago, but I actually remember figuring out the idea of relativism from studying the theory of relativity. The latter seems like a more concise, scientific theory version of it all rather than a philosophical interpretation, but relativism is actually pretty much the same thing as general relativity. I also realize the wikipedia page for relativity has a link to the one you suggested in your post because of this, so you're covered. I thought this one through, even the fact that my sig quotes the word "relativism" and my link is to the theory of "relativity"; it just seems more thorough to me, all things considered.

Maybe I should have PM'ed that one... or I could just...

BUMP
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
The way i got better at switching strings was by....Wierd enough..Practice switching strings.

Find a lick or something that you like that contains what gives you trouble then practice it slowly, and then increase little by little.
Thanks for all your replies
Big help indeed!