Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for evil, sinister sounding riffs. It doesn't have to be long or complicated, just something that creates tension in the air. Can you recommend anything? Or is there perhaps any scale/mode that could do the job?
anything by slayer....

seriously tho,

Opeth - Master's Apprentices
Last edited by GAbrandonGER at Aug 20, 2011,
Is there some reason you can't make your own?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Might I suggest something along the lines of the following:
|-0-----1------3--0-|
|-1-----1------0--1-|
|-0-----2------0--0-|
|-2-----3------0--2-|
|-3-----3------2--3-|
|-------1------3-----|

p.s. To make it sound S00per Br00tal, play it on an accoustic
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
Might I suggest something along the lines of the following:
|-0-----1------3--0-|
|-1-----1------0--1-|
|-0-----2------0--0-|
|-2-----3------0--2-|
|-3-----3------2--3-|
|-------1------3-----|

p.s. To make it sound S00per Br00tal, play it on an accoustic

I-IV-V-I is pretty ****ing brutal haha
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Is there some reason you can't make your own?

Mainly that I suck at anything that involves creativity
Enemy of God - By Kreator
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The very beginning of The Ripper by Judas Priest.

Check out In the Presence of Enemies Part 1 and 2 by Dream Theater. I don't know for sure, but it's some kind of weird phrasing on a normal scale, but it has loads of tension. The whole music has.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Just use lots of Dimished Fifth intervals - That's and Natural Minor is basically the whole 'Evil Sound'. Oh, and chromatics
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by HeretiK538
Just use lots of Dimished Fifth intervals - That's and Natural Minor is basically the whole 'Evil Sound'. Oh, and chromatics

i suppose you meant harmonic minor?

natural minor doesnt sound evil at all, at least to my ears
half-whole Diminished scale

For good examples of it listen to

Quo Vadis - As i feed the flames of hate (after acoustic iintro)

Nevermore - Next in line

as grim as it gets
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Come up with some chord progressions using Em and Dm shaped barre chords and tremelo pick them at 220bpm, using heavy distortion. That's what I do.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If you're not really into figuring out theory just listen to and learn metal songs that sound exceptionally evil and tense to you. You'll start to build a good idea of what notes sound evil together.

Guess like the other dude mentioned, start with Black Sabbaths title song. It uses the tritone and is pretty damn easy. Loads of other metal uses it as well.

Now for riffs, that's up to your creativity. But if you already know loads of other evil sounding songs you'll have a good idea of how to jam out a riff and make it sound evil.
Tappooh is either a god among men, or Brain Carroll's kid...he really knows his Buckethead stuff. 10 more days till the bucket comes to Pittsburgh wooohhooo!
nin's pilgrimage and metallica's for whom the bells toll IMO
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Really anything by Cradle of Filth. Or if you leave a CD next to a Cradle of Filth CD too long, then listen to it, it will be decidedly more evil sounding. I admit this will not work on Justin Beiber music but rather his overwhelming lameness will actually make the CoF music light and fluffy as a kitten over time.
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Aug 23, 2011,
forgot the mention, anything korn
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I all honesty TS, I would say that the skill of the player contributes just as much if not more to the ability for music to sound "evil"...A skilled player could make C major sound more evil that a crappy player using a Phyrg/dom or Locrian scale
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
I all honesty TS, I would say that the skill of the player contributes just as much if not more to the ability for music to sound "evil"...A skilled player could make C major sound more evil that a crappy player using a Phyrg/dom or Locrian scale

yeah, no...

major scale will NEVER sound as dark and moody as diminished, even if youre world class virtuoso. It would be same thing as saying that Skilled player can make major chords sound sadder than not so skilled minor.
Quote by the_white_bunny
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by xevious1
phrygian dominant nat7 is the darkest scale ive ever played

That would be the 5th mode of Hungarian Minor. Definitely a scale I enjoy.

But really a lot of evil riffs are based around the b5 and the b2, maybe the natural 7 with a minor 6.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by xevious1
phrygian dominant #7 is the darkest scale ive ever played

If it has a #7, it wouldn't be dominant, would it?

No scales or licks are inherently 'evil.' It's not that easy, TS, you actually have to put work into creating emotion through art.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by hr113
yeah, no...

major scale will NEVER sound as dark and moody as diminished, even if youre world class virtuoso. It would be same thing as saying that Skilled player can make major chords sound sadder than not so skilled minor.

Excuse me but.... No. To pretty much this entire post.
I'd have to go with harmonic minor for sure(I like Ab harmonic minor a lot), and the diminished scales. I'm quite surprised nobody's mentioned Candlemass, they've got some great evil-sounding stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLAnA47tGcw

And the guy who said De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas might have something going too, Freezing Moon's pretty ominous(I'm not too familiar with Mayhem, I can't stand that Maniac guy on vocals and as such only listened to the 4 or 5 tracks they did with Dead). Oh, and tremolo picking and tapping all work nicely for evil, and turn your treble up. Regardless, best of luck to you!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by GrStMyGn
Excuse me but.... No. To pretty much this entire post.

So let me guess, you make major scale sound evil on a daily basis?
Quote by the_white_bunny
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Quote by xevious1
phrygian dominant #7 is the darkest scale ive ever played

Does not compute.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Can someone explain 'tritones'? I have an idea what they are, and probably play them all the time, but I was just needing some clarification.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Can someone explain 'tritones'? I have an idea what they are, and probably play them all the time, but I was just needing some clarification.

Tritone is note 6 semitones away from the root

E.g. A - D#

or 0 - 6/5-11 etc. in tabs
Quote by the_white_bunny
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Quote by hr113
So let me guess, you make major scale sound evil on a daily basis?

Yes. Any any connotations of a certain 'feel' are created through phrasing and note choice.
Quote by GrStMyGn
Yes. Any any connotations of a certain 'feel' are created through phrasing and note choice.

And you choose major scale (not relative minor or shifting into locrian) to expres said emotions?

Do show, since it sounds quite bizarre, impossible actually, because major scale in its nature is light and upbeat
Quote by the_white_bunny
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Page 1 of 2