Hello,

I am new to the forums, so i apologise in advance if i have posted this in the wrong section or my etiquette is bad.

I have recently purchased an Ibanez ewc30pde-rlg. I have been playing basic guitar for quite a few years, by this i mean chord progressions and scales e.t.c.

I am now trying to learn some finger tapping style stuff, starting out with some Andy Mckee.

The problem i am having is that when i tap higher than the 7th fret the harmonic note becomes louder than the true note. Now i have spoken to a couple of people who recommended muting the lower frets which does work, however isn't practical and i was wondering if there was any other ways or techniques to rectify this.

The two things i could think of was decreasing the action or changing the strings but i have no idea whether either or these two will rectify it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ben.
Last edited by bennybumkins at Aug 20, 2011,
I've always wanted to learn stuff by Justin King and Andy McKee, but I really don't think I'm ready for it. I've though about the same thing as well. The only solution I could come up with is to have a pickup and go through an amp. I don't know if that's the only solution, but it's all I could think of.

BTW, this is in the right forum, and by etiquette, they mostly just want you to control your language and all that.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, when my brother was somewhat cool, he could play some stuff, Untitled Project, Knock on Wood, For My Father, and he never had a pickup or amplification while playing it, but his notes sounded pretty good to me. If I get the chance and remember, I'll ask to see if he remembers the trick to it.

EDIT 2: I asked him and he said to hit it harder. I asked him again to make sure he understood and he said the trick is to hit it harder, so try that.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Aug 20, 2011,
Ok so decreasing the action or changing the strings won't make a difference to the tapping... Could you elaborate on what you mean by the true note?...

Like for example when I play Mckee's "Drifting" when your tapping the guitar with your right hand (presuming your a right handed guitar player) I tap the 12th fret harmonics so in "Drifting" the 12th fret harmonics are the true notes?...

Am I even making sense?...
Quote by danbell
Ok so decreasing the action or changing the strings won't make a difference to the tapping... Could you elaborate on what you mean by the true note?...

Like for example when I play Mckee's "Drifting" when your tapping the guitar with your right hand (presuming your a right handed guitar player) I tap the 12th fret harmonics so in "Drifting" the 12th fret harmonics are the true notes?...

Am I even making sense?...

What he means is, if he taps anywhere, let's say the 13th fret of the high e string, the F is the true note, BUT, on the other side of the string (from his finger to the nut), that note is playing as well. That specific one creates a horribly dissonant sound that is just really annoying when trying to play a beautiful song like that.

I tried hitting it harder, it works! I was quite amazed. I just barely tapped it, and it made a bad sound, then I slammed it, and only heard one note! So he was right after all.

BTW, new strings will make it easier to play, if nothing else.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Not sure what "harmonic" note you are talking about, but I assume you meant that bi-note that shows up. I guess tapping harder will help and it won't sound as loud if you have other notes that are droning in the background I also think it's easier to produce a better tapping tone when the strings are new as well!
Thanks for your help guys yeah i tried tapping harder and it is better but it is still there, you got it spot on with the bi note that sounds really annoying. Tbf i havent tried plugging it in yet so will give that a go also.

Ben