I need some guidelines on what cab I should look into buying. I play metalcore and I want the best value and best sounding cab I can get for my money. The other guitarist in my band is getting a closed back 4x12 Orange cab so I decided I need an upgrade to keep up with him. Problem is, I can't really go and try out most of the cabs I'm looking at. I'm considering Orange, Mesa, Avatar, Vader, Whitebox, Emperor... really anything that might be good for my style. Most of those brands they don't carry in stores so If you guys could direct me to some demos or reviews of any of these cabs or give me suggestions on what you like that would be great. I know every cab is different and there is no one best cab but I'm looking for opinions

Edit: Budget is flexible, I'm playing through a Valveking 100w head and a Schecter Blackjack
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Aug 20, 2011,
Budget?

:edit Nvm then. I really love my Genz-Benz cab, sounds awesome. Vader cab's are pretty sick though.
Last edited by Ghold125 at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by Ghold125
Budget?

Pretty flexible like I said in my edit. I know I could get a Mesa Rectifier 4x12 on CL for around $500 so I wouldn't mind keeping it in that region
I hate my sig
Get an avatar cab i own one and f*ck there amazing. U can pick from a 1x12 2x12 or 4x12 and you can pick your style, colour of tolex, grill colour, as well as get this... the speakers. They are honestly the cheapest cabs price wise on the market but some of the most exspensive sound and durability wise. Def give them a check out.
+1 to Avatar. Great to talk to as well. Customization is the tops. Nice kit.

Also check out Splawn cabs. They are top notch quality at VERY reasonable prices.

not to make the decision harder or anything...what were you thinking speakers wise?

you mentioned in you OP that you wanted something to suite your style. What is your style

Oh, and don't upgrade your kit just to 'keep up with your other guitarist' yo

Are you using the Valveking cab now?

www.avatarspeakers.com
www.splawnguitars.com
If you want the best for that genre, I'd get a Mesa 4x12 with mesa V30s. Valveking won't really get the best out of it though...
WTLTL 2011
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 to Avatar. Great to talk to as well. Customization is the tops. Nice kit.

Also check out Splawn cabs. They are top notch quality at VERY reasonable prices.

not to make the decision harder or anything...what were you thinking speakers wise?

you mentioned in you OP that you wanted something to suite your style. What is your style

Oh, and don't upgrade your kit just to 'keep up with your other guitarist' yo

Are you using the Valveking cab now?

www.avatarspeakers.com
www.splawnguitars.com

Well I'm upgrading to "improve my tone". Is that better?

I was pretty much leaning toward V30s. It just seems like the industry standard and I like the sound of them from what I've heard.

My style is just basic metalcore. Think August Burns Red.

Not the VK cab. It's some unknown Crate cab. I'm under the impression it's not that nice. If nothing else I can tell cause it only weighs like a pound
I hate my sig
Emperor cabs are gnarly, but Avatar cabs are pretty good for the price you pay
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How do Avatar cabs compare to say a Mesa oversized cab? I can get either at around the same price. Is Avatar more of a bang for your buck sort of brand or can they actually compare to Mesa?
I hate my sig
i own a mesa rec cab, an avatar cab, and two orange cabs, as well as a few others (none of the names you have mentioned).

i would personally take mesa or orange over avatar.

now between orange and mesa, construction-wise they are pretty much equal, i still think i would take orange over the other two.

Splawn may be good to look into as far as cabs go, Scott's smallblock speakers are supposed to be incredable. i will likely be picking one of his cabs up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i own a mesa rec cab, an avatar cab, and two orange cabs, as well as a few others (none of the names you have mentioned).

i would personally take mesa or orange over avatar.

now between orange and mesa, construction-wise they are pretty much equal, i still think i would take orange over the other two.

Splawn may be good to look into as far as cabs go, Scott's smallblock speakers are supposed to be incredable. i will likely be picking one of his cabs up.

Sick man. That's kind of the order I had them in too. Right now it's kinda coming down to either Mesa or Avatar cause my other guitarist is getting an Orange and I don't want the exact same cab as him (and I don't feel like spending $1000 on it)

Do you have any clips of your cabs?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I know every cab is different and there is no one best cab but I'm looking for opinions

well, if you clone a cab (materials, dimensions and speakers) then it is effectively identical.

i believe all the avatar cabs are clones of other cabs. almost all cabs use baltic birch ply for the shell and many contemporary brands of cabinets use V30's. dimensions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer

Quote by QM
How do Avatar cabs compare to say a Mesa oversized cab? I can get either at around the same price. Is Avatar more of a bang for your buck sort of brand or can they actually compare to Mesa?

avatar uses the same materials for the shell (baltic birch) and offers the same speakers so quality is very similar. dimensions are a bit different, but value for dollar (buying new) avatar has them beat. if you can get a mesa for same price as avatar then do it, cuz mesa will have a higher resale value.

i personally never liked mesa cabs, but i am an oddity with that one.

i would actually recommend going avatar if you want something a bit more customized. a contemporary cab with G12K-100 will do metal very well (diezel and orange both have cabs with those speakers in them). if you want to stand out in the mix more then mix V30's with the G12K's, very modern and metal sound.

i sound like a broken record, but all you guys want to play is metal and that is a fat metal setup.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Emperor cabs are custom built to your specs. If you can afford it, that's the route I'd take...

Plus they look boss as hell.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I would say that the Avatars a small step down from the Mesa cabs. Splawn cabs are probably on par with Mesa, Orange, Emperor, etc.

Here is a pic of my Avatar cab opened up (17 screws )

and the basic specs for Avatar cabs:

All six sides of this cabinets are 13 ply birch. The cabinets come with your choice of partial open oval back or closed back panels. Deluxe fabric grills color choices are Wheat, Black, Fender, Oxblood, Oxblood w/Gold stripes, Silver/Black weave, Gold/Black weave. Choice of White, Gold, Silver or Black piping adds a nice finishing touch around the grill frame

These interlocking side joints give extreme strength to the cab which is where we often hear, "Built like a Tank" in our reviews. The speakers are rear mounted with T-Nuts. It has two 1/4 inch in/out jacks (for daisy chaining with another speaker cab) mounted on the steel input panel. Available in ONE of the following speaker configurations: 4 ohm mono, 8 ohm mono, 16 ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo, and 16 ohm stereo. It has protective nickel corners, large recessed steel bar handles and sturdy rubber feet. (rubber feet have been cropped out of the pictures but are there). All guitar cab grills are secured by screws, not cheap Velcro. The dimensions are 21" H x 28.5" W x 12 " D. Weight is approximately 50 lbs with ferrite or alnico magnet speakers.

Contact Dave at Avatar to learn more.

This is not an advertisement.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Sick man. That's kind of the order I had them in too. Right now it's kinda coming down to either Mesa or Avatar cause my other guitarist is getting an Orange and I don't want the exact same cab as him (and I don't feel like spending $1000 on it)

Do you have any clips of your cabs?

i would get the mesa. i bought mine for $400, tolex is a little worn, but i know i could sell it in one day for more than i paid for it.

my avatar cab i wouldn't be able to do the same with, i think i only paid $150 or even less for it loaded w/ 2x Celestion Vintage 30's and 2x Celestion EVH sigs. i basically paid the equivalent of one speaker new. and he had the receipt with the speakers on it, and at that time they were only two weeks old.

my oranges are both 2x12"s, but i really dig them. if i find a 4x12" Orange cab pop up around here on CL i would be there in 30mins cash in hand, i want one. lol.

i do not have any clips that would do any of my amps justice. all i have recorded has been done with my fiancee's iphone. it doesn't do too bad, just not good enough to reveal the small differences.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/