Poll: When will we have real lightsabers?
Poll Options
View poll results: When will we have real lightsabers?
We already do (please drop some knowledge on us)
22 14%
3 to 5 years
23 14%
It's possible, but a very long time from now (hundreds or thousands of years from now)
63 40%
It's impossible
37 23%
Other
14 9%
Voters: 159.
Page 1 of 2
Think we'll ever have real lightsabers? When? 3-5 years (because you've been in the forums)? Hundreds of years from now? Not possible?

Discuss.

Given that in the past 50 years alone, it's been a ****ing ridiculously fast period of technological growth for humans, compared to any other period of history, I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that a lightsaber can one day be created. Not anytime soon, but I think it can be sometime in the future. Ask someone from the classical era if the iPod is a possible piece of technology and nobody would say yes.
I dont think it is possible, how do you make a beam of light stop after a predetermined length?
Quote by Weaponized
Better question: When will we have stargates?

Pfft, they've been here for millennia, we just haven't found any yet.

OT, I reckon science will eventually create something which approximates a lightsaber, a long way down the line
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Quote by pullingthrough
I dont think it is possible, how do you make a beam of light stop after a predetermined length?
Well, how do you know it's simply and only a beam of light, other than what the name could imply? Has it really ever been stated directly that the blade isn't made up of any solid matter? It could be solid matter that radiates bright light.
If one were ever to exist, it would likely be some sort of super-hot plasma, but I don't know how you would keep the far end electrode fixed in place, or how you would apply an E-field to a floating electrode. I think the closest you could get would be to have it continuous on one side by a small amount of solid material.
Last edited by bnull24 at Aug 20, 2011,
It's never going to happen because there's no demand for it and it'd be too expensive and dangerous for consumer use even if the technology were available.
wait, you guys don't have one?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

perhaps its some sort of radioactively charged non-newtonian fluid, and it's that awesome foosh-bwaa sound that holds it together.
Quote by pullingthrough

That's assuming it's "light" which you use, and assuming you define light as that which comes out the end of a torch.

It was discussed a few years ago in my physics class, and an ionized plasma sabre, confined in it's own electromagnetic field could substitute for a "light" sabre, which Lucas himself admitted he didn't actually know what generated the beam.
ok um drunk so not able to write well

but fuses have a metal strip that when have a current loght up bright and can cut shit so we already do just no in light sabre format
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I think that's what Mohels use during the Bris.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by The Madcap
Well, how do you know it's simply and only a beam of light, other than what the name could imply? Has it really ever been stated directly that the blade isn't made up of any solid matter? It could be solid matter that radiates bright light.

Well, if we're actually limiting it to light, then I have some difficulty believing it would be possible. How do you get a ray of light to just stop like that?

If we're not actually limiting it to light and lasers, though, I don't think it's that far-fetched. Have a small hilt-like thing that spews forth some nature of plasma in a tight stream. You still run in to issues regarding "blade" length, operator safety, power supply, etc.. I put blade in quotes because this hypothetical is really more like a kind of flamethrower than a sword.

There's also the fact that I just don't think it would be that useful. Really, how would this be superior to any modern torch or laser cutter tool? I'm not seeing it. We can also pretty much forget having most of the properties of the movies - deflecting bullets and shit, etc..

Not that I wouldn't totally get one if I could. It would be awesome.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 20, 2011,
Quote by RU Experienced?
It's never going to happen because there's no demand for it and it'd be too expensive and dangerous for consumer use even if the technology were available.

Have you ever been to a Sci-Fi convention? There is plenty of demand.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Impossible, the history channel did a bit on this.
They said something on the lines of you can't contain light, so no lightsaber. :P
Oor something like that.
foREVer
I think it's possible, but we're entirely too far out. Let's consider the small list of just obvious issues they'd have to overcome.

-Keeping a laser to a predetermined length.
-Creating a laser powerful enough cut anything, but still be within approachable distance of humans.
-Making it come from a small, tube handle.
-Undetermined but ever-present energy source.
-Needing a new amp.

I don't think it's worth putting money towards, even.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Well they have these super powerful laser pointers now that can burn paper and shit so I guess we're pretty much halfway there.
REGGIE
Quote by Shirate
Have you ever been to a Sci-Fi convention? There is plenty of demand.

"There is a huge demand for Star Wars-related items, and at the top of that list is a lightsaber. If I can get this for the right price, I will have no problem finding a buyer and making profit off this.
I have one and have already started my conquest. Today my house, tomorrow.....the back yard.
Sail upon the open skies
Wouldn't it take a whole lot of power? An AA battery probably wouldn't be enough
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
It's not possible in the traditional sense of the movie. Using plasma along a rod might work but it's not the same.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
A magnetic field could contain a plasma, which, being electric, could be used to power the field generator itself.

Before you go OLOL NO INFINITE ENERGY DIRGE, I know, but it could absolutely extend the life of whatever power source you used.
possible? i don't know.
going to happen? no. swords are effective enough... as are guns and you're not likely to get cancer from the current swords (if you even survive an attack).
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by Dirge Humani
If you're attacking someone with a sword, I don't think you care about giving them cancer.

🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by The Madcap
Light.

Saber.

LIGHT.

SABER.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
When Lucas Re-re-re-re-leases all the Star Wars episodes, maybe a boxed set with a free lightsaber (random color per-box)
Quote by The Madcap

"There is a huge demand for Star Wars-related items, and at the top of that list is a lightsaber. If I can get this for the right price, I will have no problem finding a buyer and making profit off this.

"But before I can make an offer for this, I gotta have a friend of mine take a look at it to make sure it's real."
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I guess one way of approaching it would be to have a central physical blade surrounded by a nanobot cloud. The nanobots would weaken flesh on impact to make slicing with the blade easier. Or something >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Dirge Humani
Is a lighthouse made of light?

well no; it weighs less than a regular house, duhr
Page 1 of 2